So if we draft Okudah.....

JT

Does everyone truly believe Okudah is going to shutdown his side of the field like a Richard Sherman, Jalen Ramsey type immediately out the gate???

I don’t understand how my fellow Atlanta Falcon fans can be so in love with Dimi moving up into the top 5 and taking a CB knowing we don’t get consistent pressure on QBs. I’m not saying Okudah isn’t great or good or whatever but every great, good, avg, poor Defensive Back need that front 7 to do their job! 

It’s not like Okudah had a terrible D line in front of him at the college level. You go from playing with a disruptive D Line in college led by chase young to the falcons D line that’s considered poor in NFL and only consists of truly 2 good players in Jarrett and recently signed Fowler....you can’t truly believe Okudah is going to have instant impact with no consistent pass rush on top of a coach who doesn’t design many blitzes.

I don’t get it, I don’t hate Okudah and I’m not claiming to be some expert but I can’t make sense out of a move up to draft a CB with this incomplete D line. Two good defensive lineman has never been enough here......we watched John Abraham and Jonathan babineaux be good and great for years together and yet the line was still very much incomplete outside of these 2 guys with no consistent pass rush.

So those who want Okudah please help me understand what I’m missing?

Watching tape on the top CBs in the draft he is absolutely the most effective and 'day 1 ready" player at the position in this draft.

having said that, i do not want to trade up for ANYONE in this draft.

we have too man needs to give away picks and our All-Pros are not getting any younger so leveraging next yea's picks seem narrow-minded as well.

okudah is a shutdown corner and i would pick him if burrows, young and Simmons were gone if i had a top 4-5 pick but we dont.

Gladney, johnson or Hall are all great players that will be available somewhere in the mix without having to sacrifice some other position or some other draft.

Coverage and pressure go hand in hand. 

You can have an amazing dline but they cant get anywhere because you have no coverage or great coverage and it doesn't matter because your dline cant get to the QB.

Takk Grady and Fowler are good enough we can put some resources into the secondary.

I remember last year everybody was screaming coverage wasn’t the problem, pressure was. Raheem Morris goes back there and starts playing a more aggressive coverage and wala, we start to get pressure. All the pressure in the world doesn’t mean anything if receivers are running free from the snap. There’s more then one way to skin a cat 

18 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

I remember last year everybody was screaming coverage wasn’t the problem, pressure was. Raheem Morris goes back there and starts playing a more aggressive coverage and wala, we start to get pressure. All the pressure in the world doesn’t mean anything if receivers are running free from the snap. There’s more then one way to skin a cat 

yes, this was painfully obvious when the Saints when to a 3 step drop game plan and none of the defensive backs could even defend their man for 2 seconds.  Make a QB go to a second read on a 3 step drop and Grady is eating him alive.

I'd prefer Simmons but I will give the FO the benefit of the doubt when it comes to DBs. Even if they move up for Henderson, which I would hate, they have done well with DBs out of Florida. The connections and scouting they get out of there must be on point.

I hope we stay put unless it's for a can't miss all pro type and there are only a few in this draft.

1 hour ago, JT said:

Does everyone truly believe Okudah is going to shutdown his side of the field like a Richard Sherman, Jalen Ramsey type immediately out the gate???

Yes. He's the best CB I've seen since Ramsey and I'm pretty dead certain on that. He's a killer in the run game too. If we can get him for just a 3rd this year and a pick next year, it's a no-brainer imho

11 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Yes. He's the best CB I've seen since Ramsey and I'm pretty dead certain on that. He's a killer in the run game too. If we can get him for just a 3rd this year and a pick next year, it's a no-brainer imho

Would require a move into the top 5. No way that does not involve our 2nd this year + other compensation.

I'd love to have Okudah. He can come in and compete with the likes of Thomas, Evans and Robby Anderson from Day 1. He won't shut them down, but he's gonna be more effective and consistent than anyone else in this draft. 

That said we really shouldn't trade up for a CB in a draft that is chuck full of good CBs. Heck, I would be beating the phones trying to trade back. There's so many good players towards the end of the 1st and 3rd rounds.....even the 4th. My goal would be to stockpile picks and bring in several guys. The only guy I'd hands down move up for is Chase Young. 

2 hours ago, Doug Carlton said:

Not going to rely nor put trust in Takk any longer...somebody will get there, but it won;t be Takk

Getting another upgraded DT next to Grady and the addition of Fowler on the other side, may be the difference of almost getting there and a sack. .. as long as his shoulder is not an issue 

39 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Getting another upgraded DT next to Grady and the addition of Fowler on the other side, may be the difference of almost getting there and a sack. .. as long as his shoulder is not an issue 

Maybe. Maybe not.

I'm done expecting anything more than he's produced.

just done...

3 hours ago, JT said:

I don’t understand how my fellow Atlanta Falcon fans can be so in love with Dimi moving up into the top 5 and taking a CB knowing we don’t get consistent pressure on QBs. I’m not saying Okudah isn’t great or good or whatever but every great, good, avg, poor Defensive Back need that front 7 to do their job! 

It’s not like Okudah had a terrible D line in front of him at the college level. You go from playing with a disruptive D Line in college led by chase young to the falcons D line that’s considered poor in NFL and only consists of truly 2 good players in Jarrett and recently signed Fowler....you can’t truly believe Okudah is going to have instant impact with no consistent pass rush on top of a coach who doesn’t design many blitzes.

I don’t get it, I don’t hate Okudah and I’m not claiming to be some expert but I can’t make sense out of a move up to draft a CB with this incomplete D line. Two good defensive lineman has never been enough here......we watched John Abraham and Jonathan babineaux be good and great for years together and yet the line was still very much incomplete outside of these 2 guys with no consistent pass rush.

So those who want Okudah please help me understand what I’m missing?

I like Okudah as a player.  He appears legit.  I'm not too keen on moving into the top 5 for him.  We can get a CB at 16 or later.  Its not like there are only 2 or 3 guys in this draft that can start in 2020. 

3 hours ago, Doug Carlton said:

Watching tape on the top CBs in the draft he is absolutely the most effective and 'day 1 ready" player at the position in this draft.

having said that, i do not want to trade up for ANYONE in this draft.

we have too man needs to give away picks and our All-Pros are not getting any younger so leveraging next yea's picks seem narrow-minded as well.

okudah is a shutdown corner and i would pick him if burrows, young and Simmons were gone if i had a top 4-5 pick but we dont.

Gladney, johnson or Hall are all great players that will be available somewhere in the mix without having to sacrifice some other position or some other draft.

You don’t want to trade up because we got too many needs. Ok. Soooo... you expect TD to hit on his draft picks? Because history isn’t on his side. Last effective player he drafted was Grady Jarrett (Although Deion Jones cake out of that draft as well). 

I hear you and all but you want to roll the dice and pass on REAL DIFFERENCE MAKERS so we can get potential pieces? And with TD 8/10 times those pieces don’t even work?

Your logic is flawed. Time to make a stand. Okudah... eh.. YOUNG OR BUST 

2 hours ago, Nino11 said:

Really? I dont remember a sole person saying pressure was the issue, especially with Baldinger breaking down our coverage faults on twitter **** near every week. Trufant and Kazee completely leaving people wide open. The film is out there.

If we had pressure constantly, then it would be on the LBs more than the CBs, because you cant run a 10+ yard route if you have a DT/DE in your face. The QB will have to check down and that usually falls to the LBs in the flat, specifically in a cover 3.

I guess Im tired of seeing us bring in DBs and think fixing the edges will fix the defense. I would rather see us stack up help with Grady. Does no one else see the drop in performance when DQ rotates Dline out? Great we have Means and Comisky to go with fat DT #4 and fat DT#5. Some teams know you can't have enough Dline, but ATL thinks we cant have enough DBs. 

Trade up for Derrick Brown or this draft is a bust.. we can trade with cardinals and snag him before Jax. Just think about our FA signings and our previous drafts. Why the **** would we continue to waste high draft picks on CBs.. I’m sure dan Quinn learned his lesson. D line makes CBs look good and not the other way around.. Derrick Brown has the strength and quick get off that we need to disrupt and move QBs out the pocket especially QBs like Brady and Brees.. you won’t beat them any other way. Don’t be stupid guys.. we will have Derrick Brown at the end of this draft and he will be the key piece we need for a SB run.. anybody else and we are looking at a worse defense than last year.. and no Kinlaw is nothing like Derrick Brown. It’s Super Bowl or bust.

I see both arguments with wanting to take a DT or a CB.. we are in a division with Brees, Brady and teddy where these QBs will get the ball out of their hands before our line has a chance to come close to them, so we need cb who can jump the short routes but be able to flip the hips, turn and recover if needed... 

then I see how the 9ers built their DL and that’s intriguing too.