Final Mock 2.1.1

Sobeit

At long last it is here. With few draft picks in a deep draft at some key positions we could use it is kind of hard to see how to maximize the picks to get the best bang for the draft buck. At last I think I have figured it out. Some will hate it some will love it but here is goes.

This has to be the pick here. In a perfect world we could trade back a bit and get some additional picks. However what he would be able to do on the back end of this defense makes it worth taking him here. He is a great scheme fit for this defense with the single deep cover 3 shell we like to try and run. This pick just makes too much sense if it's 16 or 26.

Round1· Pick 16 (16)  GRANT DELPIT LSU S 6' 2" 213 lbs

LSU Tigers safety Grant Delpit - UPI.com

It is time to get some young blood in the secondary. We have got rid of all our starting CBs we need a new one. In the 2nd we can draft a talented CB that fits well into our scheme. He is physical and can play press and the combination coverage we like to play on the outside.

Round2· Pick 15 (47)  JAYLON JOHNSON UTAH CB  6' 0" 193 lbs

Gordon Monson: Is Jaylon Johnson betraying the Utes by skipping ...

The more I watch this next guy the more I would love see him playing next to Grady Jarrett. He is great in run defense but do not let his size fool you his best fit is in an even front. He is active and knows how to beat a block. He has the potential to be a very good 3 down player. He has improved his entire college career and really matured.

Round3· Pick 14 (78) DAVON HAMILTON OHIO STATE  DT 6' 4" 320 lbs
Scarlet Sunrise: Ohio State not worrying at previous losses to Clemson

There will be plenty of people that hate this pick but this position is just too deep through too many rounds not to grab one. There is going to be some good depth in the 4th round. We can get a guy with size and is physical and good hands that can play the slot and outside.

Round4· Pick 13 (119)  CHASE CLAYPOOL  NOTRE DAME  WR  6' 4"  238 lbs
2020 NFL draft: Chase Claypool a sleeper TE option for Colts

This is a guy that has been in all my mocks. Just a good value for where you can get him because of the school he played at. He is a guy that will be everywhere tackling and can get back and do decent in coverage. Another good scheme fit on defense and in a couple of years will prove to be a great value pick.

Round4· Pick 28 (134)  LOGAN WILSON  WYOMING  LB  6' 2"  241 lbs
Where is Logan Wilson's draft stock heading into the NFL Scouting ...

I'm not sure why this guy has not got more talk with his NFL heritage. He has some ability and a good understanding of the game. He is another good scheme fit if he can live up to his potential.

Round7· Pick 14 (228)   JON RUNYAN  MICHIGAN  6' 4"  306 lbs
2020 Ravens Draft Watch: Jon Runyan Jr. - PressBoxOnline.com

I like Hamilton too honestly even more than I like Brown, he doesn't end up on his back as often. He's not as much of a prize on the high end, but I feel like his floor is higher too. 

As far as Delpit goes I would hope to trade down to get him but I like him too. I know very little about the Utah kid. 

Overall I like the feeling of this mock 

I go back and forth w Delpit (just from not having watched enough and the hard to gauge value), but I like the rest of the draft in terms of value, and think you got a CB and DT that will both get a lot of snaps, and a WR and LB that both could.

I really like the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft better for value than the first.  

3 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

I go back and forth w Delpit, but I like the rest of the draft in terms of value, and think you got a CB and DT that will both get a lot of snaps, and a WR and LB that both could.

I'm pretty single minded in my value of Delpit. I just think he is cut out for this defense.

20 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Jaylon Johnson has been getting a ton of late 1st and very ealy 2nd buzz. I doubt he makes it to us in the 2nd round. 

Good mock though.

If he climbs and Diggs falls that would be fine. They are both good scheme fits as are a couple of other guys that should go in this range.

7 minutes ago, Sobeit said:

I'm pretty single minded in my value of Delpit. I just think he is cut out for this defense.

I'm not going to argue it because I don't have the knowledge this year...my uncertainty comes from ignorance.

But even when I'm more into the draft, I often can line up the 2nd through 5th very well and remain undecided on the 1st.  I think your midrounds are good here, and any good player at 16 should be a starter so I think it's a good draft.

I did mean to ask, who do you see as the best penetrating/pass rushing DT that would be available at our 3rd pick?

Would be a great draft but agree with someone that Jaylon Johnson won’t be there at #47.

Chase Claypool is 6’4” 238lbs and runs a sub 4.4/40.   Dude is a Steak, Egg, & Biscuit breakfast from converting from a good WR to am awesome Tight End weapon.  Like Logan Wilson as well - the DT could be upgraded.

33 minutes ago, Fired Up said:

I like Hamilton too honestly even more than I like Brown, he doesn't end up on his back as often. He's not as much of a prize on the high end, but I feel like his floor is higher too. 

As far as Delpit goes I would hope to trade down to get him but I like him too. I know very little about the Utah kid. 

Overall I like the feeling of this mock 

I like both Davis and Hamilton more than I like several guys that likely will be drafted ahead of them. Davis likely to go in the 2nd though but I feel I get a similar player without quite as much upside in the 3rd though in Hamilton.

Just now, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I'm a big Diggs fan. I think he's the 3rd best CB in the draft. 

I like him as well because he has some versatility. There is talk of him dropping into the 2nd though but I doubt it. Still I think there will be any one of a couple of talented CBs where we pick that have the length and athletic ability to do well here if we get the safety we need that our CBs can count on.

Not exactly the way I'd go but I'd say the team is improved after this draft.  Love the Hamilton pick in the 3rd.  Delpit should be a starter and hopefully a significant upgrade too, although I have my concerns.  Runyan Jr has solid value in the 7th.  Not convinced that Wilson can be a starter at LB but if so it would really solidify this draft.

1 minute ago, pearljamnash13 said:

I love the first three picks!... however, I don't think Runyan lasts beyond the end of the 5th round.

It depends who you read. He will be a day 3 pick though. He is just my 7th round place holder I hope we move up a couple of rounds on day 3. Hopefully he will make it to the 7th though I would like to draft him.

Just now, Sobeit said:

It depends who you read. He will be a day 3 pick though. He is just my 7th round place holder I hope we move up a couple of rounds on day 3. Hopefully he will make it to the 7th though I would like to draft him.

If he's there in the 7th he's a perfect choice. I guarantee you'll get a 10 year career out of him. He'll never be an all-pro but he will be solid like Jake Matthews. Comes from great bloodlines.

52 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

I'm not going to argue it because I don't have the knowledge this year...my uncertainty comes from ignorance.

But even when I'm more into the draft, I often can line up the 2nd through 5th very well and remain undecided on the 1st.  I think your midrounds are good here, and any good player at 16 should be a starter so I think it's a good draft.

I did mean to ask, who do you see as the best penetrating/pass rushing DT that would be available at our 3rd pick?

Probably Stowbridge but that would be early for him. He could be piece in many defenses but his size means he will most likely only play inside on passing downs. After him I think it is Hamilton. He flashes it at times in college but not consistently. He has the potential to be an every down player and be able to penetrate and disrupt. Hamilton is going to end up being a really good DT. He is quick enough to penetrate and strong enough to collapse. Not to mention he can play his assignments in the run game and get off blocks in a hurry. This is a deep draft at DT Hamilton goes 2nd round in most drafts.

Edited by Sobeit

43 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Would be a great draft but agree with someone that Jaylon Johnson won’t be there at #47.

Chase Claypool is 6’4” 238lbs and runs a sub 4.4/40.   Dude is a Steak, Egg, & Biscuit breakfast from converting from a good WR to am awesome Tight End weapon.  Like Logan Wilson as well - the DT could be upgraded.

Maybe a collard green dinner

44 minutes ago, Sobeit said:

I like him as well because he has some versatility. There is talk of him dropping into the 2nd though but I doubt it. Still I think there will be any one of a couple of talented CBs where we pick that have the length and athletic ability to do well here if we get the safety we need that our CBs can count on.

I've seen talk of him slipping to the 3rd or even 4th. We'll see

Wilson has been noticed and will likely be drafted in the second round.  The same goes for Hamilton.

I like Jaylon Johnson a lot, but he has injury issues that may keep him off our board.  

I am not going to argue with the Delpit supporters, but keep in mind that this draft has a lot of very good FS prospects:  Delpit, Winfield, Davis, and Blackmon.  Do we really have to draft a FS in the first round?