What if the Falcons are looking at transforming the secondary?

8 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

If this could be the case, what would be the best scenario to do so?

Should the Falcons move up to land Okudah, then try to find a way to get a FS if one falls?

I dont think this secondary is getting revamped in a single draft. The chances of landing a stud CB, SS and FS all in the same draft is unlikely.

Edited by Snafu

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I dont think this secondary is getting revamped in a single draft. The chances of landing a stud CB, SS and FS all in the same draft is unlikely.

Maybe not all 3 positions but very easily could come out with 2 instant impact players for the secondary.

31 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Maybe not all 3 positions but very easily could come out with 2 instant impact players for the secondary.

Taking day 1 impact players in the secondary is never easy. Even harder when you start relying on 2nd and 3rd rounders to do it.

There are only 4 secondary players in this draft that I think are instant upgrades and contributors from day 1. Okudah, Henderson, WInfield Jr and Delpit. If we go up for Okudah, it immediately takes us out of contention for any of the others. Henderson would likely require a trade-up as well, but is very unlikely that if we made the move to get him, we'll be in a position to draft one of the safeties.

Edited by Snafu

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Taking day 1 impact players in the secondary is never easy. Even harder when you start relying on 2nd and 3rd rounders to do it.

This part in particular is very true. And there are going to be stumbles and growing pains along the way no matter what. I personally trust more safeties to make a Day 1 impact than any CB in the draft besides Okudah.

If we're really trying to do that, would likely trade back.  A lot of good corners and safeties projected in the late 1st to early 3rd.

If we could have a late first and get an extra 2nd...We could easily get two promising secondary players (CB and S) and one other position (DT, LB) before we're out of the 2nd round.

They're not going to be guarantees...but good bets...and if you hit on them, your D is far far better quickly.