K Lavon Chaisson Breakdown

1 minute ago, FalconofShadows said:

I actually watch Voch allot for his reviews but I disagree with him for Chaission. I think he is a SLB who can kinda be blitzed here and there but thats just my personal opinion.  I don't think he is a 4 3 DE

His frame seems to lend itself more toward work on the edge, so I tend to bucket him as a 3-4 OLB.

2 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

His frame seems to lend itself more toward work on the edge, so I tend to bucket him as a 3-4 OLB.

I could see him fitting in as a 3 4 OLB but I dont think he'd be that primary rushing LB for example if he was opposite of TJ Watt I'd bet you'd see want be that edge rusher and Chaission taking on the other responsibilities as his major role

I think with us drafting Chaisson, that is basically telling Takk to kick the bricks. Which is crazy because that would mean we wasted 2 first round picks on Takk and VB and are going back to the well again for same player. But hey I guess you gotta find that right one. I would not be disappointed with Kinlaw, Delpit, or Henderson at 16 I think they are solid picks. I wouldn't move up for any of them.  I am concerned with Chaisson being ANOTHER project pick, but like I said, when I watch the video I like the motor the kid plays with. The Falcons just need to do a solid MENTAL eval if they take him. That seems to have burned us with Takk and VB. 

2 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

I think with us drafting Chaisson, that is basically telling Takk to kick the bricks. Which is crazy because that would mean we wasted 2 first round picks on Takk and VB and are going back to the well again for same player. But hey I guess you gotta find that right one. I would not be disappointed with Kinlaw, Delpit, or Henderson at 16 I think they are solid picks. I wouldn't move up for any of them.  I am concerned with Chaisson being ANOTHER project pick, but like I said, when I watch the video I like the motor the kid plays with. The Falcons just need to do a solid MENTAL eval if they take him. That seems to have burned us with Takk and VB. 

This is a reason I really like AJE.  He is not the most twitchy explosive player, but you know what you are getting.  He can Play strong side DE also play 3tech next to Grady on 3rd down pass rushing situations, and you know he is going to be reliable for 8-10 sacks a year. He has a super high floor and still has some potential to grow.

5 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

This is a reason I really like AJE.  He is not the most twitchy explosive player, but you know what you are getting.  He can Play strong side DE also play 3tech next to Grady on 3rd down pass rushing situations, and you know he is going to be reliable for 8-10 sacks a year. He has a super high floor and still has some potential to grow.

How do we know he's good for 8-10 sacks a year?  Looks more like a 2 to 3 a year kinda guy.

4 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

AJE has the size I like for my DE/ He has slid a lot on the boards but sometimes you gotta let that go by the wayside. He has good work ethic, was raised with good work ethic and really gives me shades of a Bosa type player. His sack numbers at Iowa have been very consistent. His combine has made him drop to late 20s in the draft. If we do trade back, it would be for AJE. My original mock had us taking AJE and Winfield Jr. round 2 but Winfield Jr has come flying up the boards. I really want to see us walk away from this draft with a solid DE and a solid S. And then sign Dennard in free agency for our nickleback. If coach has to go ALL IN this year then he doesn't have time for players that cant step in and play Day 1. I think Chaisson is too much of a project. AJE, Henderson, Delpit,, Kinlaw, A. Thomas, any of these 5 start right away with minimal coaching up required, in my opinion.  The thing with AJE is I don't think you will get the undiscipline we have seen with Takk and VB.  

5 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

How do we know he's good for 8-10 sacks a year?  Looks more like a 2 to 3 a year kinda guy.

I disagree. He shows great motor has allot of in game strength that I have seen in multiple games. And though he is not the fastest DE he is more then agile enough when sliding into 3tech. Too many people get too deep into the combine. What matters to me is he whoops peoples as on tape and is still athletic enough to beat people. I'm not going to say he is JJ Watt but he has the same play style to me.

terrifying.

Jack of all, master of none. 

where are the numbers, where is the production. Definition of boom or bust, and I don't want that at #16..

EDIT: anyone else think this kid could have a massive slide? Hugely overvalued by the talking heads more than the teams?

4 minutes ago, MattM12 said:

terrifying.

where are the numbers, where is the production. Definition of boom or bust, and I don't want that at #16..

EDIT: anyone else think this kid could have a massive slide? Hugely overvalued by the talking heads more than the teams?

Could. He was considered a back 1st, early 2nd guy in December. But he's a lot better than you think imho. I'm putting together a video for him.

13 minutes ago, MattM12 said:

terrifying.

I would rather go the safe route and take a plug and play like Kinlaw, A. Thomas, Delpit, or Henderson. But CBS Jason LaConfora has Chaisson as the 2nd best edge rusher behind Chase Young and a sure fire 1st round pick. Like I said above I like this kids motor and not going to be highly disappointed if we take him, he seems more violent than VB which I like, but how many EDGE players we gotta draft before we get it right? Delpit, in my mind is the safer pick. He can play S, you can drop him down in nickleback, he just brings a lot more to the table, in my opinion. We have flopped too many times to take chances. We need to let other teams take the projects and the chances. We need to be drafting players with a HIGHER percentage to hit. Kinlaw, A Thomas, Henderson, or Delpit. Final answer. 

1 minute ago, Refried Beans said:

I would rather go the safe route and take a plug and play like Kinlaw, A. Thomas, Delpit, or Henderson. But CBS Jason LaConfora has Chaisson as the 2nd best edge rusher behind Chase Young and a sure fire 1st round pick. Like I said above I like this kids motor and not going to be highly disappointed if we take him, he seems more violent than VB which I like, but how many EDGE players we gotta draft before we get it right? Delpit, in my mind is the safer pick. He can play S, you can drop him down in nickleback, he just brings a lot more to the table, in my opinion. We have flopped too many times to take chances. We need to let other teams take the projects and the chances. We need to be drafting players with a HIGHER percentage to hit. Kinlaw, A Thomas, Henderson, or Delpit. Final answer. 

I like your thinking. Except I really think Delpit can be had much, much later. Too many good safeties in the draft to take one at 16 imo. Henderson or Kinlaw make the most sense to me if we stay put.

6 minutes ago, MattM12 said:

I like your thinking. Except I really think Delpit can be had much, much later. Too many good safeties in the draft to take one at 16 imo. Henderson or Kinlaw make the most sense to me if we stay put.

Delpit is longer than the other safeties and the other safeties outside of Winfield Jr. have huge coverage issues. With the amount of nickle coverages we run,  a athlete like Delpit at Safety is huge. Plus it allows you to drop Keanu Neal into a LB role where is can lay people out and has good experience with coverage. It is a win win for Falcons. I know it's not a glamorous pick, I was highly against it myself at first but the more I watched Delpit play the more I realized he is a gamer.  Of course if Kinlaw or A. Thomas are there when we go to pick at 16. Delpit is a moot point. I would not move up at all in this draft, there is a lot of good talent that fits our needs up and down the board. We have too many holes to be moving up. I get that some people have Delpit a 2nd rounder but for what WE do. hes a fit. He's a Jim Thorpe Award winner and the best ranked S in the draft for a reason. 

Edited by Refried Beans

13 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Delpit is longer than the other safeties and the other safeties outside of Winfield Jr. have huge coverage issues. With the amount of nickle coverages we run,  a athlete like Delpit at Safety is huge. Plus it allows you to drop Keanu Neal into a LB role where is can lay people out and has good experience with coverage. It is a win win for Falcons. I know it's not a glamorous pick, I was highly against it myself at first but the more I watched Delpit play the more I realized he is a gamer.  Of course if Kinlaw or A. Thomas are there when we go to pick at 16. Delpit is a moot point. I would not move up at all in this draft, there is a lot of good talent that fits our needs up and down the board. We have too many holes to be moving up. I get that some people have Delpit a 2nd rounder but for what WE do. hes a fit. He's a Jim Thorpe Award winner and the best ranked S in the draft for a reason. 

Dude, sign me up for Delpit. I just think we can have our cake and eat it. trade down and get him. Winfield Jr is the guy I want if we were to pick a safety.... This draft shapes up more the need to take CB early. Because only two guys I see as Day 1 starters on our club. 

I also factor in that Delpit was playing with a lot of talent around him. That sure helps him, no?

Chaisson is a project. Right now he’s the prototype size for a 3-4 OLB. 6’4 255lbs. He shows some speed, bend and counter moves(Mainly a spin or in and out) with pass rush. He’s a great edge setter. 

That said I don’t know if he takes us from a 25 sack team to anything more than a 30 sack team. He isn’t a pure pass rusher. He is just a dog!! If he had coverage skills like Simmons or at all I would consider him but he is an edge setter and developing sack guy with a lot of talent and potential. We don’t have time for potential. 

2 minutes ago, MattM12 said:

Dude, sign me up for Delpit. I just think we can have our cake and eat it. trade down and get him. Winfield Jr is the guy I want if we were to pick a safety.... This draft shapes up more the need to take CB early. Because only two guys I see as Day 1 starters on our club. 

I also factor in that Delpit was playing with a lot of talent around him. That sure helps him, no?

LSU defense was loaded. But it's always loaded. LSU is like Alabama, Florida, UGA, Ohio State, Clemson, they just are loaded with talent every year. But these kids get awards for a reason. Jim Thorpe award means he's the best D back in NCAA. Winfield Jr. got some hardware too, he was Big Ten Defensive back of the year. The ONLY problem with Winfield Jr. is he is about 4 inches smaller in height. Delpit is taller and can cover more ground. This would help out younger CBs like Oliver. Again, to me, Delpit is the best pick for what Falcons are trying to do. Plus like I said above, I don't have to throw Keanu Neal away. He's a player fans love and I can move him into a LB role where he can absolutely bring that hard hitting talent and clear out some people and bring the pain.  

4 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

LSU defense was loaded. But it's always loaded. LSU is like Alabama, Florida, UGA, Ohio State, Clemson, they just are loaded with talent every year. But these kids get awards for a reason. Jim Thorpe award means he's the best D back in NCAA. Winfield Jr. got some hardware too, he was Big Ten Defensive back of the year. The ONLY problem with Winfield Jr. is he is about 4 inches smaller in height. Delpit is taller and can cover more ground. This would help out younger CBs like Oliver. Again, to me, Delpit is the best pick for what Falcons are trying to do. Plus like I said above, I don't have to throw Keanu Neal away. He's a player fans love and I can move him into a LB role where he can absolutely bring that hard hitting talent and clear out some people and bring the pain.  

You sell it to me like that and I dig it. It's what others have been incapable of doing. I am always happy to be proven wrong if it benefits my understanding.

That said, in your opinion, do we have to take him at 16, is it a risk to move down? 

7 hours ago, abcranford2 said:

I would appreciate your reasoning too since your thinking the other guy is wrong...IMO, his motor, stats and game play say he is more likely to be an 8 sack guy than a 2 sack guy. Why?? Well, he had one or more sacks in every game against a ranked opponent in 2019, despite the the focal point of the defense every game. Total, he had 11.5 and 10.5 sacks in the last two seasons (not to mention 14 and 16.5 TFLs)...and not on a LSU or Clemson type loaded defense where he could enjoy single coverage each snap. Why/how does that translate to a 2-3 sack guy beyond combine numbers?

meanwhile, Chaisson experienced his best sack season in 2019 with 6.5 and people are calling him the 2nd best pass rusher? Why is that, outside of his combine?

none of know for sure but still baffled that the combine basically flipped people’s views on these two guys. Heck, maybe Gross-Mayos will be better than both of them.

2 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I would appreciate your reasoning too since your saying the other guy is wrong...his motor, stats and film say he is more likely to be an 8 sack guy than a 2 sack guy. Why?? Well, he had one or more sacks in every game against a ranked opponent in 2019, despite the the focal point of the defense every game. Total, he had 11.5 and 10.5 sacks in the last two seasons...and not on a LSU or Clemson type loaded defense where he could enjoy single coverage each snap. Why/how does that translate to a 2-3 sack guy beyond combine numbers?

His measurables...

Either way. Neither of us know.  But measurables have shown to be the biggest indicator of success in the NFL for pass rushers over college production. 

8 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

it's worse than that because we traded a 3rd round pick to jump up and get Takk.