Jump to content

I think Delpit will be our pick


Recommended Posts

I have watched lots of video on Delpit, McKinney, Kinlaw, Thomas, Henderson, etc... and I just think at the end of the day. On Thursday Grant Delpit will be our pick. I don't see Kinlaw or Thomas falling to 16, and I hear there is plenty of DT, DE depth in rounds two. Delpit is taller than McKinney, he gives us versatility to play at DB, Nickleback, which is huge playing against Tom Brady and Brees, and also allows us to move Keanu Neal (one of my favorite Falcons) down to LB where he can unload on folks. I was against the pick at first because I really like Kinlaw, but Delpit is just the make sense pick for us on Thursday. Especially seeing the likes of Weaver, and Blacklock and other DT available 2nd round.  Plus as I have said many times, I love 1st round picks from Alabama, LSU, Florida, Ohio State, etc... football schools. Yea there are some misses but a lot more hits. I originally thought  we could go safety in round four with JR Reed of UGA, but his coverage skills are questionable. So would rather see us go Delpit round 1, a good DL round 2- Blacklock, Weaver, etc...., and then a OL or LB round three-  Cushenberry or Akkem Davis Gaither. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My original mock draft had us taking Epensa and then Winfield Jr. in 2nd round. But it looks like Epensa will slide and Winfield Jr has come up to a late first round pick. Winfield will probably go around 25. Delpit has slid on come boards, so Falcons could trade back but I am worried Dallas would get him. We of course could trade back and get Winfield Jr. but he is about 4' inches smaller than Delpit. Delpit is Jim Thorpe award winner, and Winfield Jr. was Big Ten Defensive Back of the year. 

Edited by Refried Beans
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Imagine thinking Delpit > Winfield Jr

Not that easy. I'm a massive fan of Winfield and had him in every mock but my last one, but Delpit might have the best range of any safety I've ever seen coming out of college. It's jawdropping tbh. He covers 50 yards running sideways to make PDs in multiple games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

g-dawg- I seen lots of mocks that have him falling to 2nd round. But here is how I look at this. If I had Delpit, Winfield Jr., and McKinney all on my team. Who am I starting? The vote goes to Delpit. Him and Winfield Jr. have same versatility but Delpit is taller. And promise you Winfield goes 25. So you are talking 9 spots. Delpit should be our pick, unless Kinlaw or Thomas fall in out lap. The drop off between Okudah, to Henderson, to Arnette is minimal at DB. But the drop off between Delpit to Winfield and McKinney is greater, in my opinion.  Guarantee you if we pass on him, Dallas will take him at 17 or Jacksonville will at 19. 

Edited by Refried Beans
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

g-dawg- I seen lots of mocks that have him falling to 2nd round. But here is how I look at this. If I had Delpit, Winfield Jr., and McKinney all on my team. Who am I starting? The vote goes to Delpit. Him and Winfield Jr. have same versatility but Delpit is taller. And promise you Winfield goes 25. So you are talking 9 spots. Delpit should be our pick, unless Kinlaw or Thomas fall in out lap. The drop off between Okudah, to Henderson, to Arnette is minimal at DB. But the drop off between Delpit to Winfield and McKinney is greater, in my opinion.  Guarantee you if we pass on him, Dallas will take him at 17 or Jacksonville will at 19. 

If you wanna make a bet on Falcons picking Delpit in 1st round, I will take that action.

If you don’t like that bet, will also take action on Delpit as a Top 20 pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, g-dawg said:

If you wanna make a bet on Falcons picking Delpit in 1st round, I will take that action.

You kidding me? Falcons front office is like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get. I guess the real question is do you think Delpit will go first round? in which I say yes he will. Us at 16, Dallas at 17, or Minnesota at 25. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Refried Beans said:

You kidding me? Falcons front office is like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get. I guess the real question is do you think Delpit will go first round? in which I say yes he will. Us at 16, Dallas at 17, or Minnesota at 25. 

 

So now you are hedging.  A minute ago there was no way Delpit was getting out of top 20.

Now it’s the first round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

So now you are hedging.  A minute ago there was no way Delpit was getting out of top 20.

Now it’s the first round.

I am going to say we take him. I don't fell strongly enough to bet on it, but based on looking at all the other people we have been connected with. I think it comes down to 4 players. Delpit, Kinlaw, Thomas, and Henderson. I don't think we are going to go crazy to move up for Simmons because we have too many holes. We only get Kinlaw and Thomas if they fall too us, which I don't think they will. I think NY Giants take Thomas and Jacksonville gets Kinlaw. So that leaves it down to Henderson or Delpit and due to Delpit's versatility I think he is the pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

I am going to say we take him. I don't fell strongly enough to bet on it, but based on looking at all the other people we have been connected with. I think it comes down to 4 players. Delpit, Kinlaw, Thomas, and Henderson. I don't think we are going to go crazy to move up for Simmons because we have too many holes. We only get Kinlaw and Thomas if they fall too us, which I don't think they will. I think NY Giants take Thomas and Jacksonville gets Kinlaw. So that leaves it down to Henderson or Delpit and due to Delpit's versatility I think he is the pick. 

I agree that safety is a long-term need for the Falcons and I am never a one to draft for the short term.

Having said that, do you believe Dimitroff and Quinn are drafting for anything past 2020 right now with their perilous job security?  While Delpit is an excellent safety prospect at the next level, I just don’t see it with our 1st round pick.

We know QUINN loves nickel defenders so I am not ruling it out but find it highly improbable.  I believe safety could come into play at some point in this draft and maybe if Delpit got close to our #47 pick and we didn’t make a trade-up in 1st.

I just don’t see Delpit as a #1 target anchor pick for the 2020 draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...