Biggest Falcon BUST of the 2000s

IamFRESCO1

Jamal Anderson is hands down the worst first round pick of recent history thank you...

Look at these career stats....

Career NFL statistics
Total tackles: 132
Sacks: 7.5
Forced fumbles: 2
Fumble recoveries: 1
Defensive touchdowns: 1

7.5?

132 tackles? 

4 teams and 6 years of experience? 

HOW SWAY?!

how did he get a job after the falcons?!

Vic was definitely better than this guy...but not by much lol

28 minutes ago, IamFRESCO1 said:

Jamal Anderson is hands down the worst first round pick of recent history thank you...

Career NFL statistics

7.5?

132 tackles? 

HOW SWAY?!

Beasley was way better than JA98.

Lets not fool ourselves here VB44 didn’t work out but how many Falcon DEs have been NFL sack leaders in a given year.

56 minutes ago, IamFRESCO1 said:

Career NFL statistics

7.5?

132 tackles? 

HOW SWAY?!

Biggest Falcons bust... One of them. You ever heard of Bruce Pickens or Aundray Bruce? Pickens was supposed to be the dynamite tandem with Deion and was drafted #3 overall... He was horrific. Bruce was not as unproductive or terrible as Anderson but he was the #1 pick in the draft therefor that still makes him a bigger bust (And 12 Probowlers and 3 HOFs went that same draft in the 1st round)

Then when we talk about Biggest NFL bust? not even close. Since that 2007 draft top 8 guys like the following have gone

1. 2008 - Vernon Gholsten went 1 pick earlier as a pass rusher the next year and finished his career with 42 tackles and 0 sacks and only lasted in the NFL 3 years. 
  2. 2009 - Aaron Curry... Remember his hype as one of the best 4-3 OLB prospects in NFL History? He lasted 5 seasons and made no impact his entire career.
  3. 2010 - None. Worst pick was #1 overall Sam Bradford. Not bad.
  4. 2011 - Jake Locker one of the worst top 10 picks of a QB in the last 10 years easily. Only played 4 years and barely surpassed 4k yards in that span.
  5. 2012 - Trent Richardson was the original creator of the bird box challenge. Worst vision on a RB drafted in the 1st round probably in NFL history...and he went #3 in the draft.
  6. 2013 - Dion Jordan, Dolphins traded up with a lot of capital to get him and man did he stink for them. 3 sacks before they cut bait after 2 years. 10.5 sacks his entire career. Difference is he went 5 picks higher than Anderson and we did not have to trade up to get him.
  7. 2014 - Justin Gilbert. Did he even play a snap for them? God he was awful.
  8. 2015 - Kevin White, 285 yards his whole career. No that is not a typo.
  9. 2016 - None. Good Top 8.
  10. 2017 - Solomon Thomas... I know he had some troubles and dark times with his family that may have changed how he performed but the bottom line is for the 3rd pick in the draft.. Massive bust.
  11. 2018 - Likely won't be one. Good top 8.
  12. 2019 - Too Early to know. 

So between 2008 - 2018 all but 3 drafts had a guy go top 8 that would be labeled as big of a bust or more than Anderson. Now imagine if you went back through the entire NFL history...Way more bigger busts than #8 Anderson. Heck Anderson likely would not even make a top 25 list for biggest busts in NFL History. 

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

Jerry was a worse pick than JA98. We got nothing but a crippled Snorlax with Jerry. Dude had glass knees in college and the first time I heard him speak, I knew we had a dud. Who ever  interviewed that dude and thought drafting him was a good idea, should have been fired on the spot. The way that dude quit too... What a waste.

At least JA98 played with us, stayed on the field, and gave max effort. He was a **** good run stopper. He was just not a good pass rusher. The king of almost got there. 

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

4 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

A major flop in round 1 is always the biggest bust IMO

OP is right w JA98, no need for all of us to try and find a bigger bust to one up him. 

Agreed he's the biggest 1st, but Peria Jerry is giving him a run for his money. But the reason I asked was because there are a couple years where we didn't have a 1st round pick and we blew the 2nd round pick we did have.

10 minutes ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

Agreed he's the biggest 1st, but Peria Jerry is giving him a run for his money. But the reason I asked was because there are a couple years where we didn't have a 1st round pick and we blew the 2nd round pick we did have.

Gotcha...Jerry wasn’t close as bad IMO for a couple reasons.

1. He had a horrific injury before his career got started. He looked as good as advertised in his limited reps before getting hurt.

2. Despite the injury, he still came back and contributed well in a rotation. Good enough that he earned a 2nd contract, but he decided to retire instead for personal reasons.

Jerry as a rotational DT still had more sacks in a season (3.5) than JA98 did, and had like one less career sack despite playing 13 less games, and one of those seasons playing time being very sporadic after he recovered from his knee injuries.

and he was taken 24th I think, not 8th.

i still blame Kerney for the JA98 selection, he screwed the Falcons over voiding his deal how he did, not to mention there was some tampering by SEA involved IMO...all the year after they tried to screw us last minute in the Abe trade...their GM was a real jack-*** back then!

14 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Gotcha...Jerry wasn’t close as bad IMO for a couple reasons.

1. He had a horrific injury before his career got started. He looked as good as advertised in his limited reps before getting hurt.

2. Despite the injury, he still came back and contributed well in a rotation. Good enough that he earned a 2nd contract, but he decided to retire instead for personal reasons.

Jerry as a rotational DT still had more sacks in a season (3.5) than JA98 did, and had like one less career sack despite playing 13 less games, and one of those seasons playing time being very sporadic after he recovered from his knee injuries.

and he was taken 24th I think, not 8th.

i still blame Kerney for the JA98 selection, he screwed the Falcons over voiding his deal how he did, not to mention there was some tampering by SEA involved IMO...all the year after they tried to screw us last minute in the Abe trade...their GM was a real jack-*** back then!

Didn’t Jerry just walk off and quit team in middle of training camp?

He wasn’t a 1st rounder, but peter Konz not working out hurt this team as much as any pick besides Anderson/Jerry.

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Didn’t Jerry just walk off and quit team in middle of training camp?

He wasn’t a 1st rounder, but peter Konz not working out hurt this team as much as any pick besides Anderson/Jerry.

I think so. They were in camp, and while ATL was looking to re-sign him he said he just wasn’t in it anymore. He had some crazy years of rehab, and I can guess that can wear on you mentally...similar to Lucks decision to retire early.

edit: wanted to refresh my memory so I wasn’t saying anything false, here was the article on it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2148005-former-first-round-pick-peria-jerry-retires-after-5-year-career-with-falcons

Part of it relates to where they are picked. Beasley had a solid, sometimes good spell here. I didn't want him re-signed but 8 sacks a year average is good. The problem is he was the 8th pick. You want high production for that. Probably one of the reasons Jake Mathews isn't completely respected around here.

I read a good article recently that said apart from Peyton Manning, when was the last number one pick a HOF? Which is what you hope for with a number one draft pick.

Just now, Borat said:

Baker had a few average seasons. JA98 sucked the whole way through.

Only reason you'd put Baker ahead would be that idiotic second contract, but that's 1) hardly his fault and 2) kind of seperate from his being a "bust" or not.

Baker wasn’t that bad until injuries mostly back slowed his career. That second contract ended up being a terrible decision.

12 minutes ago, Borat said:

Baker had a few average seasons. JA98 sucked the whole way through.

Only reason you'd put Baker ahead would be that idiotic second contract, but that's 1) hardly his fault and 2) kind of seperate from his being a "bust" or not.

Actually I named Baker because I wanted to name someone who wasn’t the obvious answer