Chris Simms top 5 safeties

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've tried to not make the Earl Thomas comparison because I was afraid of how some might think it was going too far, but they are **** similar, and their measurables are near identical, with the major

Been on the Winfield Jnr train for awhile now if we took him at 16 I wouldn’t bat an eyelid.Its a position that’s been under invested by the Falcons for 2 long and it such a key spot. Whose our E

I've tried to not make the Earl Thomas comparison because I was afraid of how some might think it was going too far, but they are **** similar, and their measurables are near identical, with the major difference being Thomas being an inch taller, but Winfield compensating with being able to jump higher. 

7 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Delpit fallen that far or is he not be treated as a safety here?

Pretty sure he has been treated at a Safety and if you were to look Delpit up before the Combine and pro day most people had him early to mi 2nd round in like 80% of mocks.   Once he had a really good combine he started creeping back up to the 1st round again and im guessing this guy just didn't buy it and kept him where alot of people had him at the end of the season.

Been on the Winfield Jnr train for awhile now if we took him at 16 I wouldn’t bat an eyelid.Its a position that’s been under invested by the Falcons for 2 long and it such a key spot.

Whose our Earl Thomas ?

Debos our Bobby Wagner

Jarretts the mainstay upfront

What have we sitting at the back making plays.No disrespect to guys like Kazee or Rico but we can do better.We wouldn’t have to play cover 2 if we had a real single high and maybe Morris would be able to run the defense DQ envisioned.

1 hour ago, GATXBOI said:

I like Ashtyn Davis 

Me, too... but I'm never a fan of drafting 24 year old rookies early & Davis turns 24 on October 10th.

I feel like both Utah safeties might turn out to be really good as well.

The more I dig into them, the more I think Terrell Burgess is THE prefect FS for us in this draft.

I mean, the way his NFL.com draft profile reads, you'd think they were talking about Ricardo Allen...

Overview
Utah is known for developing defensive talent and Burgess is the latest success story to emerge from the program. The cornerback-turned-safety plays with uncommon discipline and field vision despite just a single season as full-time starter. Teams love his versatility and ability to play nickel, but matchups against speed could cause some issues. He plays with good instincts and closing burst from high safety looks but doesn't have the striking ability to concern targets working the middle. Burgess' versatility, athleticism and feel for pathways to tackles in run support could make him a valuable middle-round pick with a chance to find the field early on in a variety of roles.
Strengths
  • Lauded by scouts, coaches and teammates for his preparation
  • Has ability to align the backend
  • Reads play development and has field awareness of a pro
  • Has tools for interchangeable safety and nickel roles
  • Disciplined with good recognition of misdirection
  • Tough for quarterbacks to manipulate in two-deep
  • Avoids rub routes and slips screen blocks in space
  • Athletic, twitchy feet with early burst to cover at nickel
  • Change of direction is sudden and efficient
  • Great poise, balance and technique as tackler
  • Takes smart angles both downhill and near the line
  • Four-phase special teams experience

Burgess weighed in at 5'11" 202lbs & ran a 4.46 40 at the combine. Put up 20 reps of 225lbs, 33.5" vert, and a 122" broad jump.
3 hours ago, Fernando C. said:

I want a S in the First... Delpit or Winfield Jr...  after that TD can do what ever he wants

41 minutes ago, RYNE said:

I like it. Winfield Jr is my #1 as well. 

Hahahaha the unsilent minority rises I like it.

I know there are few more of us out there.

They say we aren’t one player away but I feel a guy like Winfield Jnr is a huge piece.

I have no idea how the safety board will shake out in the draft. I honestly could see 4 different safeties be the first to get drafted. McKinney (my #1), Delpit, Winfield or Davis could all be top on a teams board. 

7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Been on the Winfield Jnr train for awhile now if we took him at 16 I wouldn’t bat an eyelid.Its a position that’s been under invested by the Falcons for 2 long and it such a key spot.

Whose our Earl Thomas ?

Debos our Bobby Wagner

Jarretts the mainstay upfront

What have we sitting at the back making plays.No disrespect to guys like Kazee or Rico but we can do better.We wouldn’t have to play cover 2 if we had a real single high and maybe Morris would be able to run the defense DQ envisioned.

If we didn’t have bigger holes at olb (Campbell) and Edge (Beasely) I’d be all for it. However we have 3 solid safeties to play 2 positions and all combos are interchangeable. First round has to be olb/edge (Simmons, Chaisson, Murray or Queen). I’ll bet my little held armchair GM skills on it. 

Tbc - would love bpa at cb, DT or safety in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. 

Edited by primetime
30 minutes ago, ZoneOne01 said:

Winfield’s tape is really good and fun to watch. I don’t care that he’s 5’9 but that’s the only reason he isn’t seen as a first rounder. If some team says screw it and takes him in the first, you can’t blame them.  

Not sure it’s the only reason. People also cite he is a 1 year wonder and has had some injuries. He still could go in round 1 too.

guys like Bob Sanders and Earl Thomas were high first rounders and under 6’...it goes beyond 3 inches of height IMO.

i would be fine taking him, don’t think I would at 16 though, but not sure I would take any S there this year. All depends how the board falls. I like McKinney best, and the fact that he can play FS SS and NB well is nice since all of our top safeties are on the final years of their deals.

55 minutes ago, primetime said:

If we didn’t have bigger holes at olb (Campbell) and Edge (Beasely) I’d be all for it. However we have 3 solid safeties to play 2 positions and all combos are interchangeable. First round has to be olb/edge (Simmons, Chaisson, Murray or Queen). I’ll bet my little held armchair GM skills on it. 

Tbc - would love bpa at cb, DT or safety in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. 

Beasley was filled with Fowler? Campbell was already being fazed out at the end of the year with Foye and we play nickle most of the time. So doubt we go LB that high.

If we drafted Simmons he would play the Kam role at SS. If we drafted Chaisson I’d be ok with him playing 30% at LB, because he could play on the dline other times.

Copied this from the Prospects thread because not everyone reads that one... and this thread about SAF is a good one, so dropping this in.

Rico is all the things you want a teammate and player to be, except for the fact he isn't really anything but an average Safety. He is NOT a Foundation Player that can support and build up the play of the other secondary because "he is just so dang good back there."  I have understood the reasons that TD/Quinn have kept Rico and ridden with him this long, but that does not mean it was the right "best" decision in the context of truly making the team better. When they gave him the big contract I was like WTH...  they really are being stupid now.

As for weaker starters on the defense right now....   SLB is a quasi-black hole, one can argue that DE may be weaker but I believe Fowler and Cominsky are going to take those and do well, the CBs are an interesting scenario....   I think Oliver is fine as long a he is in the right scheme. I think Sheffield may very well become really good. What I ask myself is...  if they, or all of our DBs knew they had a S that is truly good, ALL OF THE TIME, how much better would the CBs play? The thread where Vel broke it all down was truly HOF level (so many Kudos to you Vel!) explanation of WHY it matters. Having that S that rules his world is soooo  important.....  just ask yourself this Q....   (assuming the Falcons get a good SLB to fill that hole, add another good CB for that group) just how much better would their defense be if they had a Safety back there that was somewhere along the lines of a Sean Taylor, Reed, Berry, Thomas, Lott, Woodson, or Adams??  Think that's too much...  what if they were just a notch lower?  Justin Simmons (who I was really wanting for Falcons....  but nope) Fitzpatrick... what a diff he made immediately!, H. Smith, M. Williams. No one in their right mind can say Rico is even sniffing that neighborhood.  The Falcons have a hole at Safety; two of them if you count SS without a healthy Keanu there. 

Falcons NEED to get real about the SAF position. It has been put off for too many years now...  I could easily see and support taking two good SAF in this draft; one that is more FS and the other more SS, but both can play Split S roles. Add a real SLB that can cover TEs and the defense takes a big jump up!

The bad news is by the time we make it to the round we take a S ,, these guys will all be gone most likely ,,, The Good news is,, there still will be 4 or 5 really good ones we can take in the last half of the draft, which is were I'd say we draft a S,,,   And same can be said for CBs,, But not as many as S... So that means I hope we take a CB first maybe like round 5,, and then get a CB in like round 6.  JMO.

2 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

The bad news is by the time we make it to the round we take a S ,, these guys will all be gone most likely ,,, The Good news is,, there still will be 4 or 5 really good ones we can take in the last half of the draft, which is were I'd say we draft a S,,, 

Doubt TD has it penciled in that he won’t take a safety until _____ round. 

Just now, 1989Fan said:

Doubt TD has it penciled in that he won’t take a safety until _____ round. 

Oh you can bank on it...They   have every move they will make penciled down...  And who to draft if available at every pick,,  Oh yes.. count on it,, He has it penciled down in all rounds who they wan't and who they will take if that given player is gone..  I know that if I've got all they down,, You know they have put in much more time than I have ... I know this year I've studied for this draft like 10 times more than any other draft...   And even I have the players i hope we get in case my first pick would be gone. eVery position 2 players deep...  They probably have all picks at least 4 deep in case of a run on any given position.

So what round do you think is the soonest they will consider a safety? 

I think it’s higher than many believe TBH, with Neal, Rico and Kazee all FA (or released) after this season. They love Neal, but have a decision to make on paying him big after one bounce back season, if he plays great. Rico is a coaches favorite and a great leader, but not a playmaker; and Kazee makes big plays but gives them up too. Reasonable to believe no more than one of them are back next season.

if one of the top 4 safeties are there at 47 very reasonable to believe ATL could take one (McKinney, Winfield, Davis, Delpit)...not to mention half the league sees Simmons as a safety, so could he be in play too for ATL if they do trade up?

i am sure we can agree on one thing, this should be a fun draft and Thursday can’t get here soon enough!

14 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

So what round do you think is the soonest they will consider a safety? 

I think it’s higher than many believe TBH, with Neal, Rico and Kazee all FA after this season. They love Neal, but have a decision to make on paying him big after one bounce back season, if he plays great. Rico is a coaches favorite and a great leader, but not a playmaker; and Kazee makes big plays but gives them up too. Reasonable to believe no more than one of them are back next season.

if one of the top 4 safeties are there at 47 very reasonable to believe ATL could take one (McKinney, Winfield, Davis, Delpit)...not to mention half the league sees Simmons as a safety, so could he be in play too for ATL if they do trade up?

i am sure we can agree on one thing, this should be a fun draft and Thursday can’t get here soon enough!

I appreciate Rico, but he comes off as a stop-gap player that was just never upgraded for whatever reason. It may be time to just get FS taken care of.

Also, we can cut him next offseason and save 8 Mill in CAP.

Edited by Snafu