Jump to content

Greatest Falcons Draft Trade of all Time


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was an open secret the day before the draft.   What amuses me the most is that we drafted the greatest Falcon ever, yet some people here claimed for years afterward that Cleveland won tha

People forget that Dimitroff has made a lot of excellent trades for this franchise. Got Asante Samuel for a 5th too. All great trades

For all those that are sure that players are going to go where we think they're gonna go, remember in 2011, there were mocks a few months before that had Nick Fairley going first overall and Newton dropping all the way to the Vikings at 12.  

I have read that NUMEROUS teams were in talks to get Julio, not necessarily Green though.  Maybe they knew Bengals wanted him bad.  I've read 49ers considered taking him at their pick (I think was 10) Rams were looking to trade up, Vikings, and Redskins all had Julio atop their list should he either drop or the trade value was something they'd feel deemed sacrificing. 

Julio has been everything we expected out of him and more.  The greatest WR we have ever had play for this team, no disrespect to Roddy, but it's not close.  

I'm glad we didn't trade for Green, although he was been productive in his own right, he's a year older and I don't feel he's as physical a specimen as Julio is and has continued to be throughout his career.  I love having Julio and am glad we made the trade.

It would not surprise me AT ALL, to see another trade like that next week, but it also wouldn't amaze me if we ended up trading down as well.  I still think we need another RB in this draft and although it isn't likely, I'm hoping for Taylor if possible.  

Either way, it should be a fun three days.  This is as close to football as we have been in a few months and I am really looking forward to it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

For all those that are sure that players are going to go where we think they're gonna go, remember in 2011, there were mocks a few months before that had Nick Fairley going first overall and Newton dropping all the way to the Vikings at 12.  

I have read that NUMEROUS teams were in talks to get Julio, not necessarily Green though.  Maybe they knew Bengals wanted him bad.  I've read 49ers considered taking him at their pick (I think was 10) Rams were looking to trade up, Vikings, and Redskins all had Julio atop their list should he either drop or the trade value was something they'd feel deemed sacrificing. 

Julio has been everything we expected out of him and more.  The greatest WR we have ever had play for this team, no disrespect to Roddy, but it's not close.  

I'm glad we didn't trade for Green, although he was been productive in his own right, he's a year older and I don't feel he's as physical a specimen as Julio is and has continued to be throughout his career.  I love having Julio and am glad we made the trade.

It would not surprise me AT ALL, to see another trade like that next week, but it also wouldn't amaze me if we ended up trading down as well.  I still think we need another RB in this draft and although it isn't likely, I'm hoping for Taylor if possible.  

Either way, it should be a fun three days.  This is as close to football as we have been in a few months and I am really looking forward to it.

 

There will always be people mocking prospects to weird places, if anything just to be different.

Everyone knew Cam was going #1 that year. That pick surprised no one

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Ask any Browns fan how they feel today about that trade....I’m sure they’d love to have #11

I don't know if it would have worked out the same. Their QBs in that time and the years that followed were: Colt McCoy, Brandon Weeden, and Brian Hoyer. There's not much JJ could have done with that group. If JJ had gone to Cleveland, I'm almost 90% certain he would have taken the Calvin Johnson route. CJ played 9 before retiring, last year was JJ's 9th

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2020 at 2:35 PM, Charles Wright said:

 JJ is a great receiver! BUT, we gave up so MUCH to get one player. Did he push us over the top or did his acquisition set the team back for years? I believe it did, set us back.

JJ made the spectacular play to put the Lombardi in the case.   The HC, the OC, Jake Matthews and Devonta Freeman F’d it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2020 at 11:35 AM, Charles Wright said:

 JJ is a great receiver! BUT, we gave up so MUCH to get one player. Did he push us over the top or did his acquisition set the team back for years? I believe it did, set us back.

Mike Smith and Matt Ryan were 0-2 in playoff games pre Julio. Post Julio, the team has been to 2 conference championships and a Super Bowl. Matt has an MVP and Julio has two 1st team all pros. He was worth every pick, every penny

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Still cannot believe he fell that far.  Prior to draft most thought he was at least a 2nd rounder.

Yep, when you factor in value, I think that was TD's best draft pick.

I remember him and Michael Bennett (Ohio State) falling and I'll hold my hands up I wanted Bennett over Grady. We ended up with both eventually but Grady has been unreal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vandy said:

 

Thank you.   3 run plays and a FG and Pats use all 3 TOS.  We kick the FG with 4min left and up 11pts.

Pats go down the field and score either TD or FG in two minutes but then we are up 3 or 8 with two minutes left and in need of one first down to ice the game.

The Julio catch there at the 4 minute mark should have effectively ended the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Mike Smith and Matt Ryan were 0-2 in playoff games pre Julio. Post Julio, the team has been to 2 conference championships and a Super Bowl. Matt has an MVP and Julio has two 1st team all pros. He was worth every pick, every penny

I think my man Chaz be trolling sometimes just to be the oddball 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Thank you.   3 run plays and a FG and Pats use all 3 TOS.  We kick the FG with 4min left and up 11pts.

Pats go down the field and score either TD or FG in two minutes but then we are up 3 or 8 with two minutes left and in need of one first down to ice the game.

The Julio catch there at the 4 minute mark should have effectively ended the game.

 And, and, and then the qb strip sack and you could just pretty much bet the house we'd lose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Charles Wright said:

 Whoa, is there only one consensus opinion here? C'mon everybody "get on board" that's the only way to go! When our sainted qb and wr win a SB, I'll sing their praises. 28-3 kinda jaded me. Sorry about that. 

I was only joking but I can take it there with you if you want. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I was only joking but I can take it there with you if you want. 

 I have no personal animosity with anybody here. I just have opinions about the makeup of the team. My views aren't shared by many here. I believe there is a stay in line with the status quo that's shown to anyone that strays off the company line very far. Only joking, of course! 

Edited by Charles Wright
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Charles Wright said:

 I have no personal animosity with anybody here. I just have opinions about the makeup of the team. My views aren't shared by many here. I believe there is a stay in line with the status quo that's shown to anyone that strays off the company line very far. Only joking, of course! 

I figured you would have known it was a joke considering you’ve never given me a reason to disrespect you. I only disrespect those who deserve it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

I figured you would have known it was a joke considering you’ve never given me a reason to disrespect you. I only disrespect those who deserve it. 

 Do unto others. I don't want to warroom with anyone here. I just speak my mind, sorry if it offends. I don't know you, only that you're a granger. You get lots of cred and respect for that alone. We all create a voice in here and some get all bent when it differs from theirs. We're not robots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Charles Wright said:

 Do unto others. I don't want to warroom with anyone here. I just speak my mind, sorry if it offends. I don't know you, only that you're a granger. You get lots of cred and respect for that alone. We all create a voice in here and some get all bent when it differs from theirs. We're not robots.

Speak your mind man. Like I said I was only joking with you. Honestly if I felt the need to truly disrespect you I just wouldn’t respond to you or mention you period. You’re okay with me 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Falcons actually overpaid for Julio Jones - the key is not to compare the players but the value of the picks.

We received: First round pick #6

We gave up: First round pick #27, Second round pick, Fourth round pick, following year First round pick, following year Fourth round pick

There is no doubt that we got excellent value for pick #6 but if we had traded those 5 picks to a team that knew how to draft, they should have gotten at least 2 solid starters out of it.  Instead the Browns got:

Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Marecic, Brandon Weeden, and traded the last pick to Vikings who drafted Jarius Wright

If the Browns had drafted really well, consider what they possibly could have gotten with the picks:

Mark Ingram, Randall Cobb, Taiwan Jones, Dont'a Hightower, and Keshawn Martin

Julio has been great but we should have only given up 4 picks for him.  We may have gotten the Porsche but we should have gotten it for less than full price.

Edited by jlrfalcon
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

The Falcons actually overpaid for Julio Jones - the key is not to compare the players but the value of the picks.

We received: First round pick #6

We gave up: First round pick #27, Second round pick, Fourth round pick, following year First round pick, following year Fourth round pick

There is no doubt that we got excellent value for pick #6 but if we had traded those 5 picks to a team that knew how to draft, they should have gotten at least 2 solid starters out of it.  Instead the Browns got:

Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Marecic, Brandon Weeden, and traded the last pick to Vikings who drafted Jarius Wright

If the Browns had drafted really well, consider what they possibly could have gotten with the picks:

Mark Ingram, Randall Cobb, Taiwan Jones, Dont'a Hightower, and Keshawn Martin

Julio has been great but we should have only given up 4 picks for him.  We may have gotten the Porsche but we should have gotten it for less than full price.

 Just hated to give up so much for JJ. Heil we got Calvin Ridley @ pick 18. He may turn out as good as JJ. CR would be the top receiver for many teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...