Greatest Falcons Draft Trade of all Time

ya_boi_j

I just remember after it happened so many people started saying there were all kinds of rumors flying around before the draft about that trade. I follow the draft pretty close. I never remember there being rumors about Julio. Do you guys recall a lot of Julio pre-draft rumors? I was very surprised when we came up on the clock 

If we'd spent all that collateral and Julio had turned out to be pretty good, or a head case who wanted out, we'd have lost that trade.

The only way for it to work out for us was for Julio to be perennially in the All Pro discussion.  Which he is.  It was a big risk play, but luckily it worked out well for us.

8 minutes ago, RYNE said:

I just remember after it happened so many people started saying there were all kinds of rumors flying around before the draft about that trade. I follow the draft pretty close. I never remember there being rumors about Julio. Do you guys recall a lot of Julio pre-draft rumors? I was very surprised when we came up on the clock 

I think there were. I remember I was at work and it was the day before the draft. A guy told he saw some report about the Falcons possibly trying to trade up to get AJ Green or Julio Jones. I didn’t believe him. And then it actually happened lol. 

8 minutes ago, jidady said:

It was an open secret the day before the draft.

What amuses me the most is that we drafted the greatest Falcon ever, yet some people here claimed for years afterward that Cleveland won that deal. Those folks shouldn't be allowed to talk football.

Ask any Browns fan how they feel today about that trade....I’m sure they’d love to have #11

4 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I don't know, but the Tony Gonzalez trade (a second rounder) was a phenomenal trade for us.  

Considering this is specifically regarding the draft, gotta disagree. Gonzo would go in a simple trade category which he was one of the better trades 

20 minutes ago, RYNE said:

There was plenty of rumors about ATL trading up for a WR. Even up to 6 w CLE was spelled out.

May I add a couple more to make us all feel a tad better about drafts of old...

1990- traded #1 pick Jeff George for pro bowler Andre Rison, all pro and pro bowler Chris Hinton, and the pick for one of my favorite throwback Falcon receivers Mike Pritchard. 

Maybe not draft day on this, but John Abraham for our 1st round pick ranks first for me. My all time favorite Falcon. 

16 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

May I add a couple more to make us all feel a tad better about drafts of old...

1990- traded #1 pick Jeff George for pro bowler Andre Rison, all pro and pro bowler Chris Hinton, and the pick for one of my favorite throwback Falcon receivers Mike Pritchard. 

Maybe not draft day on this, but John Abraham for our 1st round pick ranks first for me. My all time favorite Falcon. 

We had a deal in place for Abe for a 2nd....then last minuet SEA messed things up and offered a first, but Abe said he would only sign a deal in ATL. Was still a good deal we made trading back and getting an extra third from DEN. Really, it Was a GREAT trade because we would have taken Jimmy Williams at 14, and while the board was in love w him, he sucked bad.

that year was the last time I pounded the table for a player from my college to be drafted high by ATL (Tamba Hali)

9 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

We had a deal in place for Abe for a 2nd....then last minuet SEA messed things up and offered a first, but Abe said he would only sign a deal in ATL. Was still a good deal we made trading back and getting an extra third from DEN. Really, it Was a GREAT trade because we would have taken Jimmy Williams at 14, and while the board was in love w him, he sucked bad.

that year was the last time I pounded the table for a player from my college to be drafted high by ATL (Tamba Hali)

At least you have prospects to pound about from PSU... nobody ever came from Millersville. Also, I usually tell myself this with gambling. Don't bet with your heart. Same... don't draft with your heart :swoon:

1 hour ago, RYNE said:

Yeah, about 48 hours prior I remember the rumors flying. On draft Day it was almost a given it was happening it was more Julio vs AJ at that point.

2 hours ago, RYNE said:

“You have to give the Atlanta Falcons credit. They can shoot for the stars.

Peter King of SI.com reports the Falcons, who are drafting 27th, are hoping to move up in the draft to acquire one of the top two receivers -- Georgia's A.J. Green or Alabama's Julio Jones.

That the Falcons covet Green and Jones is no surprise. They're the draft's top two receivers with a proven track record of success in the best conference. Plus, there aren't really any other first round receivers so if you want elite, then these are you guys.

The only way a trade of that magnitude works out is if the player is a generational talent, the kind of player who comes around once a decade, if that.

This is why I can't understand all the posters who call for a "Julio type" trade every year to grab whoever the name of that year is. Most drafts don't contain a "Julio type" player worth a trade of that cost. This year for example, like most, contains zero players worth that cost