With all this "Falcons Trade-Up" talk, let's discuss the cost

g-dawg

59 minutes ago, Vandy said:

What Exactly is it about 10-22 you don’t understand?  

Cleveland’s incompetence doesn’t prove anything, other than that they’re, well, incompetent.

I’m as big a fan of Julio in here, he’s a great player. You mockers clamoring for another trade up can deny it all you want, but that trade contributed to the resulting downward spiral. And like I said before, now our QB (as well as Julio) are on the downward slope of their careers, which wasn’t the case before. The long-term cost of this trade up will be much greater.

Vandy, I agree that Cleveland's incompetence proves nothing.

However, you take it to the other extreme, I have to assume,  given your conclusions.   4 additional picks doesn't equal 4 additional real and useful and good players.   The draft shows you that 1/2 those picks will be total busts  so the 4 additional picks, to me,  equals 2 additional players that the Falcons likely lost - and how good would those players be?

So,  you and I will never agree on this but I believe mine is a more realistic OPINION on what we likely lost in the Julio trade.   Not being pissy w/ you, just pointing out why I think your opinion on the Julio trade is overstated on what the Falcons potentially lost.   Cleveland missed on every pick.   Most good GMs miss on 50% of their picks and that is the most likely outcome on what Dimitroff would have done w/ those picks - or any other good GM.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Vandy, I agree that Cleveland's incompetence proves nothing.

However, you take it to the other extreme, I have to assume,  given your conclusions.   4 additional picks doesn't equal 4 additional real and useful and good players.   The draft shows you that 1/2 those picks will be total busts  so the 4 additional picks, to me,  equals 2 additional players that the Falcons likely lost - and how good would those players be?

So,  you and I will never agree on this but I believe mine is a more realistic OPINION on what we likely lost in the Julio trade.   Not being pissy w/ you, just pointing out why I think your opinion on the Julio trade is overstated on what the Falcons potentially lost.   Cleveland missed on every pick.   Most good GMs miss on 50% of their picks and that is the most likely outcome on what Dimitroff would have done w/ those picks - or any other good GM.

Good points. Like you said, we won’t ever agree on this completely, but you have sound reasoning for your position.....which I respect.

+1

15 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Good points. Like you said, we won’t ever agree on this completely, but you have sound reasoning for your position.....which I respect.

+1

Gracias kind sir.

And FTR,  Thomas Dimitroff was posed the question by Steak Shapiro/790-the-zone immediately after the 2011 NFL draft on whom he  would have taken at Falcons pick had they not traded up for Julio and he said "Gabe Carimi" the huge bust offensive tackle out of Wisconsin - sure you can say "how do we know for sure?" - but that is what he said and it was waaay before anyone knew Carimi would be a bust - we did sign him like 8 years later to a free agent contract.

also, if you recall, in 2011 the draft happened before free agency - Right Tackle was a need - we ended up re-signing our Right Tackle that was a free agent after the draft - his name escapes me right now - Todd Weiner, perhaps?

had we actually taken Carimi - very hard to make the math work that Falcons would have been better off w/o the trade - would have had to been almost perfect on the rest of the picks w/ a 1st round draft bust like Carimi in 2011.