Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
blkbigdog35

2020 Hawks draft thread

21 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

I can definitely ride with all those guys except Ball.  I see his name affiliated with the Hawks on a lot of sites!!

Not sure if you read this article. 
https://soaringdownsouth.com/2020/04/14/atlanta-hawks-lamelo-ball-trae-young/

My intent is to take him and work out a trade with the Knicks or Pistons for a future 1st.

21 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Trade the pick for 2 future 1sts and a solid rotational player that fills a need.

Or AE. 

Which team would you target for such a trade and what rotational player.

2 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Which team would you target for such a trade and what rotational player.

I trust travis. My view point is that we are probably better off giving more opportunity to our current young players and i'd rather have veteran depth than rookie depth.  AE is the only one I could see making sense, because he could bring scoring, defense, and be a secondary facilitator plus Cam can play SF.  Ball is a good prospect, but needs a whole lot of work. Toppin is also a good prospect, but is older and isn't a great defender. 

IMO, I want to see what Cam, Hunter, and Huerter are made of, because if none of them step up next year, we will need to make some major trades to improve this team. We cannot continue to be a bottom of the barrel team. We only have 2 offseason of being flush with cap space before Collins and Trae have to be resigned. If Cam/Hunter/Huerter/Draft Pick are not ready, then we need to look at free agency and trades.

3 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I trust travis. My view point is that we are probably better off giving more opportunity to our current young players and i'd rather have veteran depth than rookie depth.  AE is the only one I could see making sense, because he could bring scoring, defense, and be a secondary facilitator plus Cam can play SF.  Ball is a good prospect, but needs a whole lot of work. Toppin is also a good prospect, but is older and isn't a great defender. 

IMO, I want to see what Cam, Hunter, and Huerter are made of, because if none of them step up next year, we will need to make some major trades to improve this team. We cannot continue to be a bottom of the barrel team. We only have 2 offseason of being flush with cap space before Collins and Trae have to be resigned. If Cam/Hunter/Huerter/Draft Pick are not ready, then we need to look at free agency and trades.

Nice post bro!  These prospects have been very bland outside of Antman.  What veteran you think can come in and provide some solid veteran depth or as a rotational piece?

25 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

And this is why I prefer to keep the pick and make the selection.  I trust Travis to make the right pick. 

We have enough roster and capspace to adequate bolster the core 5.

4 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

And this is why I prefer to keep the pick and make the selection.  I trust Travis to make the right pick. 

We have enough roster and capspace to adequate bolster the core 5.

Like bbg said, the prospects are very bland and need a lot of work. LaMelo or Toppin are not going to come in a dominate the way we need them to from day 1. They need work on defense and being better shooters. They have skills that we can use, but it is going to take years for that to be developed. 

It isn't about cap space or roster space, but TIME. There isn't enough time in a game to develop everyone and we are also no longer in "losing is okay as long as players develop" mode. We have made the goal that it is playoff or bust. If we miss the playoffs, heads will roll. 

Trade the pick, get someone that can contribute to winning now and future first.. If Cam/Hunter/Huerter don't pan out, we can use those first to trade for someone or draft someone. 

25 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Nice post bro!  These prospects have been very bland outside of Antman.  What veteran you think can come in and provide some solid veteran depth or as a rotational piece?

IMO, we need a backup PG, PF, and an SF.  I think Kris Dunn is a good option for backup PG. And either Bertans or Marcus Morris. I lean towards Morris, because of his defense and I think if Cam or Hunter are not ready for a starting SF role, he could come in and be a starter. 

3 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Like bbg said, the prospects are very bland and need a lot of work. LaMelo or Toppin are not going to come in a dominate the way we need them to from day 1. They need work on defense and being better shooters. They have skills that we can use, but it is going to take years for that to be developed. 

It isn't about cap space or roster space, but TIME. There isn't enough time in a game to develop everyone and we are also no longer in "losing is okay as long as players develop" mode. We have made the goal that it is playoff or bust. If we miss the playoffs, heads will roll. 

Trade the pick, get someone that can contribute to winning now and future first.. If Cam/Hunter/Huerter don't pan out, we can use those first to trade for someone or draft someone. 

IMO, we need a backup PG, PF, and an SF.  I think Kris Dunn is a good option for backup PG. And either Bertans or Marcus Morris. I lean towards Morris, because of his defense and I think if Cam or Hunter are not ready for a starting SF role, he could come in and be a starter. 

Yes, all flawed, but that's being a rookie unless you are LBJ. Cam was bad as a shooter in college and started out the year rough....look how he has progressed....I have faith that Travis will make the right selection and LP and the coaches will get the development side right.

Regarding develop time - 

Again..... parotting trade the pick doesn't mean much unless it comes with a tangible name to consider. Additionally, if as you say the draft is bland you will be hard pressed to find a team will to trade 2 future 1sts particularly when the next 2 drafts are supposed to be really good.

Example: Hawks trade #4, for Dejounte Murray and #11. Backup PG solved and we have a later pick...again just an idea.

Sign Jerami Grant to play backup SF/PF. 

6 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Yes, all flawed, but that's being a rookie unless you are LBJ. Cam was bad as a shooter in college and started out the year rough....look how he has progressed....I have faith that Travis will make the right selection and LP and the coaches will get the development side right.

Regarding develop time - 

Again..... parotting trade the pick doesn't mean much unless it comes with a tangible name to consider. Additionally, if as you say the draft is bland you will be hard pressed to find a team will to trade 2 future 1sts particularly when the next 2 drafts are supposed to be really good.

Example: Hawks trade #4, for Dejounte Murray and #11. Backup PG solved and we have a later pick...again just an idea.

Sign Jerami Grant to play backup SF/PF. 

How many wins did we have while Cam was developing. Our team almost imploded because vets were unhappy we were giving Cam so many minutes while we were struggling and losing games. Even Trae was complaining about the losing.

Also you didn't really understand my point about time. It was about the time in a game. Each position has 48 minutes that need to be filled.  Giving minutes to 1 player means less minutes for other players in that position. Trae and Collins are going to play 35 ish minutes each night. Cam, Hunter, and Huerter are going to play around 30 minutes each. We are in win mode. We are not going to give a rookie 20+ minutes a game to develop while they are struggling to score and defend. 

If you give minutes to our rookie, then you need to cut minutes from our current Core guys. 

Making trade scenarios when we have no clue who is or isn't available and how much each time values certain assets doesn't mean much. 90% of fan proposed trades aren't even realistic or feasible. I trust travis and he has the connections to know what teams are looking for. 

My point is that the strategy should be about accumulating future picks and players that can help us right now. The priority of this season is making the playoffs and understanding what can we reasonably expect from Cam/Hunter/Huerter. Are they future all stars, starters, or role players. 

39 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Yeah Morris is one of those guys you dislike if he’s not on your squad but you love him when he’s with you.  Dudes a good defender, rebounder and has a decent offensive game as well!

1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

How many wins did we have while Cam was developing. Our team almost imploded because vets were unhappy we were giving Cam so many minutes while we were struggling and losing games. Even Trae was complaining about the losing.

Also you didn't really understand my point about time. It was about the time in a game. Each position has 48 minutes that need to be filled.  Giving minutes to 1 player means less minutes for other players in that position. Trae and Collins are going to play 35 ish minutes each night. Cam, Hunter, and Huerter are going to play around 30 minutes each. We are in win mode. We are not going to give a rookie 20+ minutes a game to develop while they are struggling to score and defend. 

If you give minutes to our rookie, then you need to cut minutes from our current Core guys. 

Making trade scenarios when we have no clue who is or isn't available and how much each time values certain assets doesn't mean much. 90% of fan proposed trades aren't even realistic or feasible. I trust travis and he has the connections to know what teams are looking for. 

My point is that the strategy should be about accumulating future picks and players that can help us right now. The priority of this season is making the playoffs and understanding what can we reasonably expect from Cam/Hunter/Huerter. Are they future all stars, starters, or role players. 

Did TS put together a team with a capable bench to win - they projected 31 wins.  This season was ALWAYS about DEVELOPMENT.  Reddish's development was a blip on the radar in terms of wins for these team. You can point to any of these factors that had more to do with losses than Reddish's development: JC suspension, Huerter injury, no backup PG, the Center rotation, and horrible vets.

Whichever rookie we select will be playing off the bench. Injuries happen, we have a GLeague for development. We currently have 8 players under contract, roster spots are available for a rookie and FAs.

And just as the draft is bland so is the FA class.

The strategy for a rebuild (yes we are still in a rebuild) is to acquire talent in each draft and supplement it with serviceable FAs to move out of the rebuild. This is where we are.

I trust Travis' drafting chops to find that talent. 

5 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Did TS put together a team with a capable bench to win - they projected 31 wins.  This season was ALWAYS about DEVELOPMENT.  Reddish's development was a blip on the radar in terms of wins for these team. You can point to any of these factors that had more to do with losses than Reddish's development: JC suspension, Huerter injury, no backup PG, the Center rotation, and horrible vets.

Whichever rookie we select will be playing off the bench. Injuries happen, we have a GLeague for development. We currently have 8 players under contract, roster spots are available for a rookie and FAs.

And just as the draft is bland so is the FA class.

The strategy for a rebuild (yes we are still in a rebuild) is to acquire talent in each draft and supplement it with serviceable FAs to move out of the rebuild. This is where we are.

I trust Travis' drafting chops to find that talent. 

Last season and Trae's first season were about rebuilding and Player development over wins. We both agree with that, but the confusion is that you do not understand that TS and CLP have said that phase is done and now we care about winning. That is why trying out last years strategy this year doesn't work. Pointing to Cam or Trae doesn't work because any new rookies won't get that opportunity.

If the goal is winning, then you cannot leave a guy going 0-10 out there because you don't want to hurt his confidence. 

Of course we are still in rebuild mode, but rebuilding has phases. Phase 1 was accumulate assets and develop them. And we have developed two of them into All star level players. Now we need to evaluate the rest of the talent to make decisions for what to do next. Do we need to trade for a star or do we need more depth. 

FA is bland for star talent, but that isn't what we need. We need depth and vet leadership. We have our starting 5. We need to see what can they do. What can we expect from them in a reasonable timeframe. We don't have 5 years of great cap space. Trae and Collins are going to need to get paid. 

18 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Last season and Trae's first season were about rebuilding and Player development over wins. We both agree with that, but the confusion is that you do not understand that TS and CLP have said that phase is done and now we care about winning. That is why trying out last years strategy this year doesn't work. Pointing to Cam or Trae doesn't work because any new rookies won't get that opportunity.

If the goal is winning, then you cannot leave a guy going 0-10 out there because you don't want to hurt his confidence. 

Of course we are still in rebuild mode, but rebuilding has phases. Phase 1 was accumulate assets and develop them. And we have developed two of them into All star level players. Now we need to evaluate the rest of the talent to make decisions for what to do next. Do we need to trade for a star or do we need more depth. 

FA is bland for star talent, but that isn't what we need. We need depth and vet leadership. We have our starting 5. We need to see what can they do. What can we expect from them in a reasonable timeframe. We don't have 5 years of great cap space. Trae and Collins are going to need to get paid. 

When your front office predicts 30 wins, your goal is to have a lottery pick which is still accumulating more asset/talent via the draft. Hence you are still rebuilding, not tanking, but rebuilding.

Now, instead of using capspace for bad contracts and picks (asset accumulation), we'll actually use our capspace to sign quality FAs per Schlenk's description - mid 20s, stuck on other teams benches that can grow with the Core 5.

1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

When your front office predicts 30 wins, your goal is to have a lottery pick which is still accumulating more asset/talent via the draft. Hence you are still rebuilding, not tanking, but rebuilding.

Now, instead of using capspace for bad contracts and picks (asset accumulation), we'll actually use our capspace to sign quality FAs per Schlenk's description - mid 20s, stuck on other teams benches that can grow with the Core 5.

I don't buy that logic. The reason we were predicted for 30 wins was because we used our cap space to accumulate talent in the previous draft. We couldn't sign FAs, because we took 2 bad contracts to get Hunter.  You logic implies that we were tanking, but that is far from the truth. 

Ehh I don't think we sign anyone long term this offseason. Next offseason is the prize. I think we sign quality FAs, but  we also keep our flexibility. Next year is about our Core and which members are going to be here long term.

3 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I don't buy that logic. The reason we were predicted for 30 wins was because we used our cap space to accumulate talent in the previous draft. We couldn't sign FAs, because we took 2 bad contracts to get Hunter.  You logic implies that we were tanking, but that is far from the truth. 

Ehh I don't think we sign anyone long term this offseason. Next offseason is the prize. I think we sign quality FAs, but  we also keep our flexibility. Next year is about our Core and which members are going to be here long term.

He never said we were tanking though?

Regardless Reddish and Trae will definitely be here next season for sure. Collins is a wildcard to me I personally want him to stay, but I can see him being traded for someone. If some of the rumors of this offseason are true as well next year will be very interesting as well.

I'm still on the Ant-man Bandwagon say what you want, but he's Georgia born and raised, and we need one of these guys to stay in-state I don't even care if we have to give up Collins to do it dang it lol. Okay I'm going overboard again. :rant: