blkbigdog35

2020 Hawks draft thread

Right now my Hawks big board looks like:

1. PG - Lamelo Ball - 6'7 - 190 - Illawarra 
  2. PG - Killian Hayes - 6'5 - 187 - Ratiopharm Ulm
  3. SF - Deni Avdija - 6'9 - 215 - Maccabi Tel Aviv
  4. PG - Cole Anthony - 6'3 - 184 - North Carolina
  5. PG - Tyrese Haliburton - 6'5 - 175 - Iowa State

We need PG and SF depth. Might be able to move down for a few of those guys and pick up a pick.

14 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Right now my Hawks big board looks like:

1. PG - Lamelo Ball - 6'7 - 190 - Illawarra 
  2. PG - Killian Hayes - 6'5 - 187 - Ratiopharm Ulm
  3. SF - Deni Avdija - 6'9 - 215 - Maccabi Tel Aviv
  4. PG - Cole Anthony - 6'3 - 184 - North Carolina
  5. PG - Tyrese Haliburton - 6'5 - 175 - Iowa State

We need PG and SF depth. Might be able to move down for a few of those guys and pick up a pick.

If it’s not Edwards, I’m going after Okoro, Toppin or Okongwu.

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If it’s not Edwards, I’m going after Okoro, Toppin or Okongwu.

I like all four. May be able to trade down, get another pick and still get one of em. Right now I'm liking Melo as a back up point that could play on the floor with Trae and possibly bring some SF juice off the bench. He may be long gone though. We need depth at PG and SG. Might be able to get that in FA and go BPA in the draft.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I like all four. May be able to trade down, get another pick and still get one of em. Right now I'm liking Melo as a back up point that could play on the floor with Trae and possibly bring some SF juice off the bench. He may be long gone though. We need depth at PG and SG. Might be able to get that in FA and go BPA in the draft.

Mello can’t shoot 3’s or play defense

He can create and facilitate though. Better than Goodwin and the hole left behind by Bembry. We need that type guy as a sixth man that can stay on the floor.

A top 5 pick needs to play 20-25 mpg.  Do you see him carving a role for that?

8 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

A top 5 pick needs to play 20-25 mpg.  Do you see him carving a role for that?

Yes I do. As a PG and SF. I know many don't think we need another PG. I do. Don't forget I was on the Ja Morant train last year even with Trae on the roster. Imagine those two on the floor together. Good grief. You can never have enough ones on the roster. When Trae sits down our one position goes to hail in a hand basket and he's playing way too many minutes. Teague was OK last year but he's gone. He played 21 MPG.

Bring Melo in and the PG position is stacked. Plus I really believe he can play some point forward at SF and Trae can play a lot more off ball SG. You can probably forget about us building a defensive juggernaut bro. We're at least a decade away from something like that. With where we are we need to be trying to build a team that wins on offense, a la GS 2017. Not a DET 1989 Bad Boy squad that wins with shut down defense.

Yes I do. As a PG and SF. I know many don't think we need another PG. I do. Don't forget I was on the Ja Morant train last year even with Trae on the roster. Imagine those two on the floor together. Good grief. You can never have enough ones on the roster. When Trae sits down our one position goes to hail in a hand basket and he's playing way too many minutes. Teague was OK last year but he's gone. He played 21 MPG.

Bring Melo in and the PG position is stacked. Plus I really believe he can play some point forward at SF and Trae can play a lot more off ball SG. You can probably forget about us building a defensive juggernaut bro. We're at least a decade away from something like that. With where we are we need to be trying to build a team that wins on offense, a la GS 2017. Not a DET 1989 Bad Boy squad that wins with shut down defense.

I hear what you’re saying.  And there can be a lineup of Melo, Trae, Reddish, Collins, Capella with Melo running point.  I just hate his jump shot and defense.  There is a hitch in his shot.  He needs to adjust his form for a quicker release.  I think he will struggle to get his shot off at the NBA level

But I think a rotation at SG/SF/PF of Okoro, Collins, Reddish, Hunter & Huerter is more valuable.  Okoro’s defense is a known commodity.  There is little risk in taking him.  Also don’t care to partake in the Lavar Ball experience

Personally I want to grab either Toppin or Wiseman.  We need frontcourt depth as well.  As far as PG to backup Trae I would prefer a vet but I think Goodwin in time is going to be a decent backup for Trae.

Top 3 for me:

1. Edwards - Could be a star given the right development. He has the physical attributes more so than anyone else in this draft. Also, the hightest bust factor of my top 3.

2. Wiseman - Has the size and movement skills to be a great big man. Good feet too.

3. Toppin - Ultra Athletic, and a 15 and 10 player as a floor. 

Anthony Edwards, G, Georgia

The Hawks need a secondary playmaker who can play alongside Young and without him. Edwards is the best option who fills that need. On other lottery teams, he easily could be that organization’s go-to scorer, but he wouldn’t need to fill that role for Atlanta because Young is and will be that player in the present and future.

Deni Avdija, F, Maccabi Tel Aviv

What the Hawks are missing in their young forwards is someone who can be a high-level playmaker. Avdija can be that kind of player in the NBA and would fit nicely with what the Hawks have in De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish.

Devin Vassell, F, Florida State

Vassell is one of the best defenders in this draft. He’s not as good as Isaac Okoro, who we’ll discuss next, but Vassell is an ideal 3-and-D wing the Hawks could use even though they drafted two of those last year in Hunter and Reddish.

Onyeka Okongwu, F/C, USC

A frontcourt of Okongwu and Collins would be highly intriguing, as both players can switch defensively and crash the boards with vigor. I believe Okongwu has the potential to be a good shooter one day, too, and having another stretch four/five on the roster would be a plus.

Killian Hayes, G, Ulm

I wouldn’t draft a pure point guard like Ball or Cole Anthony in the top eight unless I intended to flip that player for someone else. Hayes could be a lead guard in the NBA, but he has the size and ability to defend one through three in the league.

I’d have him ranked higher than Tyrese Haliburton because his playmaking ability is quite exceptional 

Isaac Okoro, F, Auburn

The Hawks need more defensive talent. For the past two seasons, Atlanta has been one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Okoro would improve this team defensively immediately, in my opinion. I think Okoro is the best defender in the draft, and he has the ability to guard two through four and the five in small-ball lineups. What I like about Okoro and his fit with the Hawks is he’s a very smart passer who has some ability to run pick-and-roll if needed

Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State

The biggest difference between Haliburton and Hayes when talking about how they would project with the Hawks is Haliburton’s ability to shoot, specifically off the catch. He made nearly 42 percent of his 3s this season, but because of his current shot form, he projects as more of a spot-up shooter in the NBA. And for the reasons Hayes would be a good pick for the Hawks, Haliburton has the length to guard multiple positions and can lead the non-Young minutes and provide stability for those 15ish minutes that Young is resting.

My list is similar except Deni, I can't justify taking him this high.

On 5/11/2020 at 2:24 PM, blkbigdog35 said:

Personally I want to grab either Toppin or Wiseman.  We need frontcourt depth as well.  As far as PG to backup Trae I would prefer a vet but I think Goodwin in time is going to be a decent backup for Trae.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:28 PM, JDFIII said:

Top 3 for me:

1. Edwards - Could be a star given the right development. He has the physical attributes more so than anyone else in this draft. Also, the hightest bust factor of my top 3.

2. Wiseman - Has the size and movement skills to be a great big man. Good feet too.

3. Toppin - Ultra Athletic, and a 15 and 10 player as a floor. 

Not a Toppin fan. Duplicates Collins too much on offense with even worse defense and he's not much of a rebounder. I'd rather go Okongwu as a backup PF, we need defense at this position.

On 5/29/2020 at 9:14 AM, jayu70 said:

Not a Toppin fan. Duplicates Collins too much on offense with even worse defense and he's not much of a rebounder. I'd rather go Okongwu as a backup PF, we need defense at this position.

I can see your point. He is not a defensive minded player. I wonder if that could be taught though. As my coach used to say, "Defense is all about want to.".

3 hours ago, JDFIII said:

I can see your point. He is not a defensive minded player. I wonder if that could be taught though. As my coach used to say, "Defense is all about want to.".

Sure it can be taught, it's just how long it'll take and plus from what I rea, he has 'stiff hips' making it even more difficult to move laterally on defense. JC is in year 3 and still being taught defense.