Panthers Make Christian McCaffery Highest Paid RB Ever

AUTiger7222

7 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

McCaffery is much better than both of them. LeVeon proved to be a product of the system. 

He’s phenomenal, but he will wear down before that contract comes close to being done and he will be cut, just like the rest.  Can get 70% of the back for 10% of that price and invest somewhere else.  That team is in full rebuild mode and by the time they are ready to compete he will be on the decline.

Stefon Diggs and DeVonte Adams will both make less than 16mil this year.

If any back is worth paying that kind of money to, it’s CMC, but I’m not convinced even he is worth that.

@Rings Doesn’t matter. They paid him what he’s earned. Comparing him to those 2 isn’t the move at all. Mans only 23 years old with football in his genes. As long as he stays healthy he has absolutely nothing to worry about. Running backs deserve the same love as other skill positions no matter what the cliche opinion is

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

@Rings Doesn’t matter. They paid him what he’s earned. Comparing him to those 2 isn’t the move at all. Mans only 23 years old with football in his genes. As long as he stays healthy he has absolutely nothing to worry about. Running backs deserve the same love as other skill positions no matter what the cliche opinion is

It’s not a matter of if he deserves it or not, he’s amazing, I will never question his skill or drive, but to think “this RB contract will be different” isn’t wise either.  How many backs have made it through their top tier second contract in the last five years?  How many are on playoff teams?  Time will tell, but I’ll be shocked if he sees the end of that contract.

3 minutes ago, Rings said:

It’s not a matter of if he deserves it or not, he’s amazing, I will never question his skill or drive, but to think “this RB contract will be different” isn’t wise either.  How many backs have made it through their top tier second contract in the last five years?  How many are on playoff teams?  Time will tell, but I’ll be shocked if he sees the end of that contract.

Todd Gurl...never mind. :D

6 minutes ago, Rings said:

If they wanted to keep him, it was smart to extend him now. This contract will take him up to his 8th NFL season and 27 years old. Will still be in his prime, especially considering he's a smart runner.

Edited by Snafu

1 minute ago, Rings said:

You can’t compare him to other running backs though. Really can’t compare any positions contract. The first thing said is how giving big money to backs don’t work. That’s not always true. The biggest thing that doesn’t get mentioned is no one can control players getting injured. Whether it’s the $30 million qb or $15 million RB.

He just got paid based on his usage and importance to their offense. How much he got paid shouldn’t matter to anyone. He earned it and that’s all that matters imo. The way contracts are set up these days it may likely only be a 3 year deal with an easy out in the end. Either way he’s going to get exactly what he’s earned. 

I'm one of those against giving  nearly all RBs a 2nd contract but they didn't have much of a choice.

He accounts for over 50% of their offensive touches and nearly half of their yards. He way too important to their offense to not re-sign. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to decline like most backs in a few years but he may not.

It's also good to go ahead and get him locked up prior to the expected cap increases.

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

You can’t compare him to other running backs though. Really can’t compare any positions contract. The first thing said is how giving big money to backs don’t work. That’s not always true. The biggest thing that doesn’t get mentioned is no one can control players getting injured. Whether it’s the $30 million qb or $15 million RB.

He just got paid based on his usage and importance to their offense. How much he got paid shouldn’t matter to anyone. He earned it and that’s all that matters imo. The way contracts are set up these days it may likely only be a 3 year deal with an easy out in the end. Either way he’s going to get exactly what he’s earned. 

And that’s fine, I’m never going to complain when a division rival pays a running back big money.  

Just now, jeffro2000 said:

I'm one of those against giving  nearly all RBs a 2nd contract but they didn't have much of a choice.

He accounts for over 50% of their offensive touches and nearly half of their yards. He way too important to their offense to not re-sign. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to decline like most backs in a few years but he may not.

It's also good to go ahead and get him locked up prior to the expected cap increases.

He has two more years on his contract.  LA did the same thing with Gurley and he never even saw his new contract.

7 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Gurley was also injured and not able to perform to the level of his pay scale. You can not compare players and their contracts

He wasn’t injured when he signed the extension is the point.  Nor was Freeman, nor was David Johnson.

I get he isn’t a normal back, but even the way he plays it is more abusive than most roles on the field and I’d still worry about him holding up.  One of his draft concerns was if he could hold up getting hit like that, he has so far, let’s see if he still can later in his 20s.