Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DonOfThemBirds

Has the UFC lost some of it's steam as an ascending competitive sport?

Has the UFC lost some of it's luster since the GSP, Silva, Rampage, Evans, Penn, early Bones Jones days?

While I'm still a huge fan, right now it just seems like just a few fighters are being pushed as marquee level fighters unlike a decade ago you had a huge variety of stars. Even many who weren't champions.

16 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

The ufc def has lost steam. Where are the multitude of stars like in years past 

Its like the nba. Only a few stars. Wheras in the 90s Early 00’s nba were a plethora of stars. 

After getting the UFC to reach mainstream, I honestly think Dana White is doing more hurt than good now.

He makes grudges with his own employees and has resorted to favoritism more and more in many cases on who he really wants to push as a star or not.

He created a contendership ranking, but yet don't really go by it now. I also hate the extreme overuse of interim titles, which in quite a few cases not even guarantee a unification match.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:02 PM, VTCrunkler said:

The ufc def has lost steam. Where are the multitude of stars like in years past 

Its like the nba. Only a few stars. Wheras in the 90s Early 00’s nba were a plethora of stars. 

After having time to think about it, do you think the testing for PEDs and HGH may have had a big impact in this as well?

Quite a few stars of the UFC have had massively tarnished reputations after getting popped. TJ Dillashaw is a huge example.

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

After having time to think about it, do you think the testing for PEDs and HGH may have had a big impact in this as well?

Quite a few stars of the UFC have had massively tarnished reputations after getting popped. TJ Dillashaw is a huge example.

i dont see how the guys were not on roids or something.  that might explain it if they cracked down.  a failture in promotion?  in talent?  the roids crackdown might explain it.  and the lack of a super heavies

On 4/18/2020 at 8:07 PM, VTCrunkler said:

i dont see how the guys were not on roids or something.  that might explain it if they cracked down.  a failture in promotion?  in talent?  the roids crackdown might explain it.  and the lack of a super heavies

You mean as in a super heavyweight division?

Also, yeah I think stuff may have taken a turn after the UFC started testing for HGH/PEDs. Many stars started getting popped left and right and tarnished many of their legacies.

Vitor Belfort had a very noticable transformation physically on and off PEDs.

XsePQKp.jpg

His body transformation was ridiculous.

9 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

You mean as in a super heavyweight division?

Also, yeah I think stuff may have taken a turn after the UFC started testing for HGH/PEDs. Many stars started getting popped left and right and tarnished many of their legacies.

Vitor Belfort had a very noticable transformation physically on and off PEDs.

XsePQKp.jpg

His body transformation was ridiculous.

I cant believe Vitor is still waking. Hes been at this since he was at least 19. I watched him back when he was a prodigy. Its clear hes been on the juice. 

On 4/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, VTCrunkler said:

I cant believe Vitor is still waking. Hes been at this since he was at least 19. I watched him back when he was a prodigy. Its clear hes been on the juice. 

Yep, It's crazy that he body hasn't started breaking down on him badly by now.

I remember his early years in the UFC as well. He was massively roided up back then.

The longevity he has had while abusing roids is almost unheard of lol. May need to study his genetics.

On 4/25/2020 at 10:44 AM, VTCrunkler said:

superior genetics.  haha  yeah hard to believe he is still walking.  must be a lot of avacado ice cream

Another MMA fighter that popped into my head is Alistair Overeem.

The man has also had a very noticable transformation into a physical monster.

45 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I dont know him. Do you have before and after pics

47 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Check out lesnar back when

50 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

I dont know him. Do you have before and after pics

vitor-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

reem1.jpg

Overeem's roid usage has been a very weird story because he would show up some fights massive while at times looking noticably smaller then show back up massive again.

alistair-overeem-ufc-2091.jpg?w=1000&h=6

This is how he looked in one of his more recent fights. I would not be surprised if he looks in extremely good shape his next fight.

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

Check out lesnar back when

Yep, Lesnar's body has went through noticable transformations as well.

5ab4f-15492743400183-500.jpg

This was Lesnar during the weigh-in for his fight against Mark Hunt. There was talk about him possibly juicing because this was the best shape he had been in in years. He was popped for PEDs right after the fight in which he dominated Hunt. Hunt is still pissed about it this very day, I think he even threatened to sue because of it and wanted out if his UFC contract.

22 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yep, Lesnar's body has went through noticable transformations as well.

5ab4f-15492743400183-500.jpg

This was Lesnar during the weigh-in for his fight against Mark Hunt. There was talk about him possibly juicing because this was the best shape he had been in in years. He was popped for PEDs right after the fight in which he dominated Hunt. Hunt is still pissed about it this very day, I think he even threatened to sue because of it and wanted out if his UFC contract.

The thing is are we as fans ok w them popping roids if everyone is doing it?

vitor-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

reem1.jpg

Overeem's roid usage has been a very weird story because he would show up some fights massive while at times looking noticably smaller then show back up massive again.

alistair-overeem-ufc-2091.jpg?w=1000&h=6

This is how he looked in one of his more recent fights. I would not be surprised if he looks in extremely good shape his next fight.

Dramatic changes man. Lots of weight shifted around 

On 4/29/2020 at 1:58 PM, VTCrunkler said:

The thing is are we as fans ok w them popping roids if everyone is doing it?

I think that might be a very tough question to MMA fans overall.

You have some fans who don't care as long as they see a good fight.

You have fans who want a 100% clean sport.

You have fans who even want the idea of a split fighting league that allows PED users to legally fight each other while having clean fighter only competing against each other as well.

It's awkward because many fans love to see super human like fighters go to war with each other, but they act extremely disgusted and turn on fighters once they are conformed to be PED abusers. Anderson Silva and his legacy has been tainted a good bit in many fans eyes, but they loved seeing him destroy opponents left and right when he was on top. Same with Belfort.

I think that might be a very tough question to MMA fans overall.

You have some fans who don't care as long as they see a good fight.

You have fans who want a 100% clean sport.

You have fans who even want the idea of a split fighting league that allows PED users to legally fight each other while having clean fighter only competing against each other as well.

It's awkward because many fans love to see super human like fighters go to war with each other, but they act extremely disgusted and turn on fighters once they are closed conformed to be PED abusers. Anderson Silva and his legacy has been tainted a good bit in many fans eyes, but they loved seeing him destroy opponents left and right when he was on top. Same with Belfort.

exactly.  chicks love the longball.  people want the home runs, not doubles down the middles or grounders.

silva was on roids?  the spider monkey?

On 5/2/2020 at 8:54 PM, VTCrunkler said:

exactly.  chicks love the longball.  people want the home runs, not doubles down the middles or grounders.

silva was on roids?  the spider monkey?

Silva was popped back in 2015 for testing positive for anabolic steroids in multiple test in relation to his fight with Nick Diaz for UFC 183. Silva was suspended for a year. 

I personally wasn't surprised at all because it was his 1st fight just literally a year after that gruesome broken leg injury he suffered in the 2nd Weidman fight. It was weird because Silva was up moving and training like normal just 3 or 4 months after the injury, which was a red flag.

On 5/9/2020 at 2:31 PM, DonOfThemBirds said:

Silva was popped back in 2015 for testing positive for anabolic steroids in multiple test in relation to his fight with Nick Diaz for UFC 183. Silva was suspended for a year. 

I personally wasn't surprised at all because it was his 1st fight just literally a year after that gruesome broken leg injury he suffered in the 2nd Weidman fight. It was weird because Silva was up moving and training like normal just 3 or 4 months after the injury, which was a red flag.

Really?  Was this after he had won the majority of his fights? He didnt even look like he was on roids. 

2 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Really?  Was this after he had won the majority of his fights? He didnt even look like he was on roids. 

Yep

Silva said that he only took roids to quickly speed up the healing time for his broken leg because he wanted to get back to fighting as soon as possible.

Many doubt that he only used roids that one time because Silva hasn't been close to the fighter he once was since then and his body seems to be breaking down on him similar to athletes who've been doing roids for an extended amount of time. He's currently dealing with a knee injury and he just had surgery on it.

7 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yep

Silva said that he only took roids to quickly speed up the healing time for his broken leg because he wanted to get back to fighting as soon as possible.

Many doubt that he only used roids that one time because Silva hasn't been close to the fighter he once was since then and his body seems to be breaking down on him similar to athletes who've been doing roids for an extended amount of time. He's currently dealing with a knee injury and he just had surgery on it.

He didnt have the look of someone I perceive to be on roids 

7 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yep

He was borderline unstoppable 

On 5/12/2020 at 10:15 PM, VTCrunkler said:

He didnt have the look of someone I perceive to be on roids 

On 5/12/2020 at 10:15 PM, VTCrunkler said:

He was borderline unstoppable 

Yep

Roids are odd because even people who don't look physically freakish can still be using them. It's really just based on the person and how their body is.

TJ Dillashaw is another fighter who didn't look like he was taking roids. But his almost godly like cardio and recovery time during fights really raised questions up until he got popped for PEDs.