Dimitroff Interview With Peter King

Quick recap (football related)

• If draft was moved UP ten days, he would be ready. Sounds like they know who they want/what positions to target.
  • Doesn't think there will be "impromptu" trade up and trade downs like usual during draft day. Thinks most trading up and down talks are going to ramp up a week before the draft. 
  • Expecting significant contribution from Gurley. Comfortable with his health.
  • WR group in draft is really deep. Capable of getting starters in 5th or 6th rounds.
  • Should be interesting to see centers and tackles being drafted in the first two rounds. 
    • This is my opinion but sounds like TD thinks they'll be a run on them. Trade down possibility for us for a OL hungry team? I'd love an extra second or third round pick in this draft class.
  • Interior DL group and CB group are really strong. "I think we're in a good place" is the comment he made after talking about the DT and CB group. Hinting at the obvious interest there. 
    • Did not mention DE though.
  • Said getting Gurley (RB), Hurst(TE) and Fowler(DE) helped take the focus off those positions early. But then quickly pulled a classic TD move and said BPA is still in play at any time.
  • A lot of teams/GMs think you can move back into the 20s and still acquire impact talent.
  • In a good position at 16 to move up or down even though he admits we hardly ever trade back.

My hope is after hearing that interview, TD trades back, still gets a CB or IDL that he wants and acquires an extra 2nd or 3rd to add similar skill at the other position. I'm not holding my breath though b/c well, TD has NEVER traded back from his original pick in the first round, plus, I'm not sure who would trade up with us based on available draft capital?

SEA, BAL, MIN, JAX seem to be the only teams with draft capital that could move up with us before we start really dropping back...

SEA in a trade up? WE'd move back to 27 and get one of their 2nd rounders? That might be too far back to still get one of Diggs, Henderson, Johnson, no?

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan

I'd really like a trade down in the first, though I don't expect it.  The quality of players at OL, DT, CB, RB, WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds is going to be high.  Think the talent level is flat enough between 16  and 60 to move and pick up more guys who can help the team immediately.

Granted, I'm often on this train, but seems to be an even bigger deal this year.  It's a good O draft, and we can't really draft there (due to defensive need) unless we grab some extra picks.

People get carried away by the term "deep class"

Usually people go on to say, "oh that means they're going to wait for a *position* because the class is deep"

That's wrong. It's a bad approach. Just because the class is deep at that position does not mean the team won't take one early. For example, the class could hypothetically be:

8 pro bowlers and 15 average defensive tackles.

Yeah, the class is incredibly deep but it's still a front loaded position with tons of starting upside in the early rounds. 

It's why I think the team ultimately moves back for Ross Blacklock. 

1 hour ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

My hope is after hearing that interview, TD trades back, still gets a CB or IDL that he wants and acquires an extra 2nd or 3rd to add similar skill at the other position. I'm not holding my breath though b/c well, TD has NEVER traded back from his original pick in the first round, plus, I'm not sure who would trade up with us based on available draft capital?

SEA, BAL, MIN, JAX seem to be the only teams with draft capital that could move up with us before we start really dropping back...

SEA in a trade up? WE'd move back to 27 and get one of their 2nd rounders? That might be too far back to still get one of Diggs, Henderson, Johnson, no?

MIN at 25. They need a CB and WR. If Henderson is the #2 CB in the draft as everybody thinks, they can move to 16 to get him and still get a WR with their 22nd pick. They have virtually interviewed Henderson and met with him at the combine. There’s interest there. And the trade value chart is only a 40 point difference. They would be the perfect team. Blacklock should be there for us.

Edited by ike barn87987

TD is pretty confident that starters at CB and WR will be available after the first round.  He also mentioned that the DT is exceptionally deep.  He also intimated that there will be a lot of OL activity in the first couple of rounds.  

In my mind, if I put all that stuff together, TD is likely looking at SLB/ DE early.  This is strictly conjecture, but if Chaisson is available at #16, we will take him.  If not, we may actually trade down into the early 20's and probably take someone like Baun.  

There are plenty of reasons to take a S in the first round or two, but I think we will take a SLB early and then hope to see a S, like Winfield in the second.  If not, then we can always take a CB in the second, like Jaylon Johnson and still draft a Safety later (like Robinson). 

All in all a good interview.  It was neat to see where it will all go down at the Dimitroff hacienda.  

1 hour ago, ike barn87987 said:

MIN at 25. They need a CB and WR. If Henderson is the #2 CB in the draft as everybody thinks, they can move to 16 to get him and still get a WR with their 22nd pick. They have virtually interviewed Henderson and met with him at the combine. There’s interest there. And the trade value chart is only a 40 point difference. They would be the perfect team. Blacklock should be there for us.

I think the most likely are SEA and MIN as they have the most history for draft trading...but i dont think the pick is Blacklock for the Falcons...I still think its a CB...either Johnson or Diggs...Blacklock is nowhere on Falcons radar...

6 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

I think the most likely are SEA and MIN as they have the most history for draft trading...but i dont think the pick is Blacklock for the Falcons...I still think its a CB...either Johnson or Diggs...Blacklock is nowhere on Falcons radar...

The Falcons interviewed Blacklock at the combine I’m sure that was posted on a thread on here.

19 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

If he was, I hadn't seen it reported, so that is my mistake...

• Ross Blacklock, TCU – Planned meeting
  • think it’s from page 4 of the prospects meetings 

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/nfl-combine-derrick-brown-javon-kinlaw-among-defensive-tackles-who-met-with-falc

Edited by ike barn87987
46 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

How do you know Blacklock is nowhere on the Falcons radar?  None of us have seen their board as far as I know. Just because none of the talking heads are talking about him doesn’t mean the brass isn’t high on him.