Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theProf

Sporting News 7-round mock draft: April 9

16. Atlanta Falcons (7-9)

• Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

The Falcons addressed the edge in free agency by signing Dante Fowler Jr. so here they work to better flank Fowler and Grady Jarrett from the inside. Kinlaw (6-5, 324 pounds) knows how to use his size and arms to complement his strength and power at the point of attack.

47. Atlanta Falcons

• Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU

The Falcons need to get some fresh legs to supplement Todd Gurley in passing situations to give them again what they once had with Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman. Edwards-Helaire (5-7, 207 pounds) is a dynamic, versatile receiver out of the backfield and in the slot, making him a major asset for an NFL passing game. He also is extremely quick when getting the ball in the open field.

78. Atlanta Falcons

• Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State

Dan Quinn needs a skilled zone cornerback to add to his defense Dantzler (6-2, 188 pounds) has nice size and uses his hands and hips to be disruptive against receivers downfield.

119. Atlanta Falcons: Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech

143. Atlanta Falcons (from Ravens) (compensatory): Calvin Throckmorton, OT, Oregon

228. Atlanta Falcons (from Buccaneers through Eagles): Daniel Thomas, S, Auburn

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-mock-draft-2020-7-rounds-patriots-raiders-colts/x1p3hl1wxmkl14lasxq8y9xlx

26 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I love Helaire, but we need a safety at 47th if Delpit, Duggar or Chinn are available

In Sporting News draft, Winfield was selected at pick #36 and Delpit at pick #43, before Atlanta's selection in round 2.   Dugger (pick #60) and Chinn (pick #69) were mocked later.

I'd love to take the best coverage LB with our 3rd.  I'm looking up the middle on defense: DT, LB, and S.  Sprinkle in an edge and a RB.  Crap I also want a good C/OG.  Thats not asking for too much right lol.

Posted (edited)

No way we draft a RB in round 2 after spending $5m on Gurley (unless they are truly worried about his physical) and with such a glaring need at CB right now.

Is Throckmorton supposed to be Mack's replacement - surely there are better options if we are looking for a true full-time center for the future?  Or, is he supposed to be an all-around backup for all positions on the OL?

Edited by jlrfalcon

This Draft like this COVO 9 is going to be very unusual. No Pro Days, Virtual DRaft. A lot of players will be overrated, A great scouting team is essential. UDFA becomes super important to stack a roster and get good under-the-radar diamonds.

48 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

No way we draft a RB in round 2 after spending $5m on Gurley (unless they are truly worried about his physical) and with such a glaring need at CB right now.

Is Throckmorton supposed to be Mack's replacement - surely there are better options if we are looking for a true full-time center for the future?  Or, is he supposed to be an all-around backup for all positions on the OL?

Throckmorton is probably back-up for all the OL positions as he has started at OT, OG, and C in college.  Most of his college starts were at OT. 

Posted (edited)

For the sake of not creating another thread, this is more of a query. I could see Tua sliding all the way down to the Pats due to injury concerns and the Dolphins pulling the plug on Herbert, which would leave the Chargers drafting Love. I'm not sure if the Chargers would reach like that, but anything is possible I suppose or they could say the h3ll with it and forgo QB altogether this season. I'm not sure Kinlaw would make it past the Jags at 9, they need QB help too so depending on whether the Chargers pulls the plug on a QB might impact their decision and they might look to Love rather Minshew... then a small run on WR between the Jets, Raiders, and 9ers. The Bucs look to support Brady which is the smart move with an OT. Depending on what happens with the QB situation, I see the FO moving up for Kinlaw as the most likely because we would be able nab a LB if the draft played out like I got here.

Draft Query.JPG

Edited by Da D!rty D!rty

4 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I love Helaire, but we need a safety at 47th if Delpit, Duggar or Chinn are available

Chinn’s an interesting pick these guys out of smaller schools I have real trouble figuring these guys out because of competition.The athleticism is NFL I just would love to see more of his work against better players.

Hes an in the box safety to me once he makes his mind to come up in run support or blitz he’s full throttle I love that.

2 hours ago, Da D!rty D!rty said:

For the sake of not creating another thread, this is more of a query. I could see Tua sliding all the way down to the Pats due to injury concerns and the Dolphins pulling the plug on Herbert, which would leave the Chargers drafting Love. I'm not sure if the Chargers would reach like that, but anything is possible I suppose or they could say the h3ll with it and forgo QB altogether this season. I'm not sure Kinlaw would make it past the Jags at 9, they need QB help too so depending on whether the Chargers pulls the plug on a QB might impact their decision and they might look to Love rather Minshew... then a small run on WR between the Jets, Raiders, and 9ers. The Bucs look to support Brady which is the smart move with an OT. Depending on what happens with the QB situation, I see the FO moving up for Kinlaw as the most likely because we would be able nab a LB if the draft played out like I got here.

Draft Query.JPG

If Jevon Kinlaw can make it past the Jags at #9, I think that there would be a good chance that he could fall all the way down to the Falcons pick at #16.  Most draft sites that I read have Simmons going way before #15, if I'm interpreting the above table correctly.  The Consensus Mock Draft composed of 340 mock drafts has Simmons being selected at #4 by the Jets. 

5 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Thank you...Now I don't have to say it.

5 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Give me Delpit at 16

Really? I like him as a prospect but he is a late first early 2nd. He has some flaws and has been dropping on boards. 

17 hours ago, theProf said:

If Jevon Kinlaw can make it past the Jags at #9, I think that there would be a good chance that he could fall all the way down to the Falcons pick at #16.  Most draft sites that I read have Simmons going way before #15, if I'm interpreting the above table correctly.  The Consensus Mock Draft composed of 340 mock drafts has Simmons being selected at #4 by the Jets. 

Yeah I wasn't sure. I was thinking the Jets might need a WR more than a LB at this point, but I would be hard pressed to pass on Simmons being there. The dude has skill. I was looking at some scenarios in my head and felt it safe to assume that the Raiders/9ers will most likely draft a WR in the first.