• Falcons coach Dan Quinn said DE John Cominsky will have an "increased role" this upcoming season.

The organization traded up to nab Cominsky (6'5/286) with the No. 135 overall pick in last year's draft, failing to find a consistent role for the rookie on 100 empty defensive snaps behind Vic Beasley, Adrian Clayborn, and a handful of other rotational pass rushers. With those two names in particular out the door in free agency, the former Charleston product will undoubtedly have to take on a much larger role across from splash signing Dante Fowler. 2018 sixth-rounder Foye Oluokun is also expected to enter Atlanta's lineup as a first-year starter this upcoming season.

Apr 8, 2020, 2:22 PM ET

•  

So...who plays SLB in base defense? Are are we going back to that 3-4/5-2 front with “2 traditional LB” and Takk / Fowler standing up outside of 3 down linemen?

Maybe that’s how we get around not going for a traditional 4-3 SLB just for base reps? @FalconsIn2012

Cominsky is a huge factor this year; depending on how the draft falls to getting an early DL prospect. Why? Well, his ascension is more likely able to push the Falcons Defense; from a front 4 or pass rush perspective, to a level it has never been with DQ than any rookie DL prospect alone (barring someone falling or a trade up obv) and due to Takk’s progression being largely a health concern.

*As far as in house progress, but @athellseems Senat is a man destined to be trade bait if he isn’t earning snaps by year 3. He has no role other than Davison depth/insurance if he isn’t earning snaps as a pass rusher.

I hope we can add a solid DT prospect still if the chips fall our way, but I also see the Falcons going CB specifically this draft and putting Safety off; unless we jump up for someone at 11.

Edited by Schwarzwald

So that has us running 3 deep at DE with Fowler, Takk, Cominsky and then Means/Larkin at a 4th that may or may not make it

And at DT with Jarrett, Davison, Bailey, and the question mark of Senat? And Tuioti Mariner somewhere off in the distance?

Seems like we can really use a legit threat at either of those positions.  A playmaker at either is going to make the whole group better, but probably not looking for a 4th rounder at those positions, as we have some developing depth.

Wouldn't be surprised at all with a 1st round DT.  But it looks like we may be going heavy on the secondary.

51 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Pretty typical this time of the year.

Plenty of misinformation floating around without really knowing which direction the Falcons will go.

To me this is the key to building a successful team guys in there year whatever taking the next step in development.Good to hear DQ giving guys like the mentioned a good shot.

"Chaisson? Oh no, we're not interested in him at all. Delpit and Winfield? Just doing our due diligence. We like our safeties."

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I guess we won’t address SAM in the draft.

“Foye is also expected to enter Atlanta's lineup as a first-year starter this upcoming season.

He's more of a weak side LBer so we actually may go SLB if they go for Chassion he will be a 2 down SLB and a 3rd down rusher

5 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I guess we won’t address SAM in the draft.

“Foye is also expected to enter Atlanta's lineup as a first-year starter this upcoming season.

Bedwetter said Foye is expected to start so we aint taking a SAM? Bedwetter dumbassery aside, we still have dog poop for LB depth, and I would hope Quinn isn't just assuming Foye will be great there. CB is prob a given by the end of rd 3 and I'd be shocked if taking a LB wasn't close behind.

4 hours ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

The organization traded up to nab Cominsky (6'5/286) with the No. 135 overall pick in last year's draft, failing to find a consistent role for the rookie on 100 empty defensive snaps

Cominsky is big X factor for 2020 season. First pre season game he almost killed somebody twice on PUNT coverage. I was looking forward to his playing coverage on returns, didn't happen though, but could not get out of head.

Cominsky over 500 snaps would have been 70 tackles 5 sacks and 10 pass defensed. Rookie, hurt and this productive?

Future is bright for this guy

Why are Defensive Ends more important than Linebackers & Nose Tackles is the real question. Young successful linemen are clearly not a dime-a-dozen but having an early producer who is consistent is just not this Front Office Agency's bread & butter. Our most obvious DEFENSIVE needs were yet again allowed to flail in the wind with that bad Trufant contract + getting rid of Alford & Poole too soon + losing an overdrafted safety for two years in a row + overpaying Beasley + not using Gono as an official RT starter thereby allowing us to draft a future center last year like the Saints + losing two end of season meaningless games that flipped our draft position UPSIDE DOWN twice? I guess that's just the cost of good entertainment. Why should I complain? This is the winningest we've ever been outside of Sucksville, GA since forever! :tiphat:

15 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Lots of peeps gonna be disappointed that LB or DE isn’t drafted in the 1st round...

Trade up for DT Kinlaw or Brown, or stay put and taken BPA at DB is looking more and more likely

There were tweets our recently by DLed and jButt that Cominsky to DT is and has always been the plan...curious to see how it actually unfolds.