Ashtyn Davis

This is a guy who is a top 40 talent but will slide because injury kept him out of the combine and coronavirus cancelled his pro day.  He is a track guy with sub 4.4 speed.  A true single high free safety.  If we don’t grab Delpit, he is a great Plan B and can be had in Rd 3.  Tremendous value there. 

Look at his range

Coverage Spacing - He's not a true prowler as a single high safety but he's got ample mobility and flashes of anticipation to be effective in Cover-2 and take away a half of the field. Burst is best when coming downhill as compared to working laterally to squeeze routes into the sideline. 

Acceleration - Doesn't have game-changing burst on the back end when he's tested vertically and if dual routes hold him in place before the throw, he'll struggle to challenge outside the numbers. Super quick working downhill to engage in support for stuff in front of his face, however. 

Tackling - He's an impressive tackler when he's working from the last line of defense or closing at the catch point. When you stick him in the box, poor initial angles in pursuit pop up and force him into chase mode too quickly. Strong wrap up ability in head on collisions. Potent pads. 

Zone Coverage Skills - Would like to see a touch more anticipation in zone to flow and scrape when he's not held by a second route. His range works well as a Robber in the intermediate areas of the field and like his influence over top of TEs in the red zone. Not a single high option with high upside. 

Ball Skills - Had more ball production in 2018 than 2019 but he's made the most of opportunities when challenged. He won't always squeeze tight window throws without elite physical qualities but when he's put in position off deflections or late throws, he'll take advantage. 

Competitive Toughness - He's got a hot motor and is pretty fearless dropping down into the box and challenging blockers. He's not always effective shedding blocks but he'll blow up WRs or TEs in run support. Like his aggressiveness as a tackler, doesn't catch bodies. 

Flexibility - He's got pretty good coil into his tackles, illustrating the ability to unload the his and explode through contact. He's made a couple of impressive challenges of the ball to lengthen his body in effort to extend. Redirectional quickness is supported by dynamic lower half. 

Feet/COD - He's fairly nimble and light on his feet, quick to click and close or snap into position to break on routes working into the sideline when he's leveraged inside or over top of the route. Short area quickness flashes when he's blitzing off the edge or working through traffic. 

Man Coverage Skills - Like what he's shown in man to man match ups in the slot as they come. He brings enough second gear to get into the trail position or to accelerate and undercut a late throw (Oregon, 2019). He's comfortable playing off man thanks to so many reps at safety. 

Versatility - Has been used in a lot of different ways: deep middle, deep half, quarters, nickel in man to man, as a nickel linebacker. Wouldn't sign off on any role that's going to feature him in the box with high frequency, but can be a chameleon in split safety or cover-3 defensive concepts.

---

Best Trait - Competitive Toughness

Worst Trait - Deep Range

Best Film - Oregon (2019)

Worst Film - Washington (2019)

Red Flags - None

Player Summary - Ashtyn Davis projects best into a role as a Cover-2 free safety at the pro level. Davis has strong tackling skills on the back end and some effective reps dropping down into the box to play man to man in the slot, but he's generally lacking in run support in the box to be asked upon to play such a role with consistency in the pros. Too many bad angles and too many reps getting stuck to blocks negate his versatility. Putting him in primarily Cover 2 will allow his deep range to be more effective. 

18 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Top 40 is a stretch. That ball was dropped before the hit. 

I like how he punches at the ball though.

Rather him bulk a bit and be in the box. Dont think hed make it single high.

Dude can fly

“Davis, tabbed by CBS Sports as the third best safety and 36th best player in the draft, is still recovering from a surgical procedure after sustaining a groin injury on Nov. 30. The injury forced Davis to miss the Golden Bears' Redbox Bowl victory over Illinois. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Davis did make a big play for sustaining his injury, making a crucial interception near the end of Cal's victory over UCLA. 

In four seasons with the Golden Bears, Davis recorded 166 tackles, seven interceptions, 12 passes defensed, three fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles. One of Davis' best games occurred in 2018, recording two interceptions in the Golden Bears' victory over Colorado. 

In his pre-combine evaluation of Davis, The Draft Network's Joe Marino lauded Davis' ball skills, range, speed, flexibility and versatility. Marino, who compared Davis to veteran NFL safety Damarious Randall,  wrote that Davis' worst trait is his run support, a weakness that may keep him from being a first round pick. 

His range and speed are among Davis' biggest strengths entering the draft. Davis, who came to Cal on a track scholarship, won the Pac-12 110-meter hurdle title in 2017. He finished seventh in the NCAA in the event that year while not losing a single race in that event during the regular season. 

While he reportedly won't run at the combine, that shouldn't impact Davis' draft stock much, as he is currently slated as an early second round pick. The Vikings, Redskins and Cowboys, three teams that need help at the safety position, are among the teams that could draft Davis. 

23 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Coverage Spacing - He's not a true prowler as a single high safety but he's got ample mobility and flashes of anticipation to be effective in Cover-2 and take away a half of the field. Burst is best when coming downhill as compared to working laterally to squeeze routes into the sideline. 

Acceleration - Doesn't have game-changing burst on the back end when he's tested vertically and if dual routes hold him in place before the throw, he'll struggle to challenge outside the numbers. Super quick working downhill to engage in support for stuff in front of his face, however. 

Tackling - He's an impressive tackler when he's working from the last line of defense or closing at the catch point. When you stick him in the box, poor initial angles in pursuit pop up and force him into chase mode too quickly. Strong wrap up ability in head on collisions. Potent pads. 

Zone Coverage Skills - Would like to see a touch more anticipation in zone to flow and scrape when he's not held by a second route. His range works well as a Robber in the intermediate areas of the field and like his influence over top of TEs in the red zone. Not a single high option with high upside. 

Ball Skills - Had more ball production in 2018 than 2019 but he's made the most of opportunities when challenged. He won't always squeeze tight window throws without elite physical qualities but when he's put in position off deflections or late throws, he'll take advantage. 

Competitive Toughness - He's got a hot motor and is pretty fearless dropping down into the box and challenging blockers. He's not always effective shedding blocks but he'll blow up WRs or TEs in run support. Like his aggressiveness as a tackler, doesn't catch bodies. 

Flexibility - He's got pretty good coil into his tackles, illustrating the ability to unload the his and explode through contact. He's made a couple of impressive challenges of the ball to lengthen his body in effort to extend. Redirectional quickness is supported by dynamic lower half. 

Feet/COD - He's fairly nimble and light on his feet, quick to click and close or snap into position to break on routes working into the sideline when he's leveraged inside or over top of the route. Short area quickness flashes when he's blitzing off the edge or working through traffic. 

Man Coverage Skills - Like what he's shown in man to man match ups in the slot as they come. He brings enough second gear to get into the trail position or to accelerate and undercut a late throw (Oregon, 2019). He's comfortable playing off man thanks to so many reps at safety. 

Versatility - Has been used in a lot of different ways: deep middle, deep half, quarters, nickel in man to man, as a nickel linebacker. Wouldn't sign off on any role that's going to feature him in the box with high frequency, but can be a chameleon in split safety or cover-3 defensive concepts.

---

Best Trait - Competitive Toughness

Worst Trait - Deep Range

Best Film - Oregon (2019)

Worst Film - Washington (2019)

Red Flags - None

Player Summary - Ashtyn Davis projects best into a role as a Cover-2 free safety at the pro level. Davis has strong tackling skills on the back end and some effective reps dropping down into the box to play man to man in the slot, but he's generally lacking in run support in the box to be asked upon to play such a role with consistency in the pros. Too many bad angles and too many reps getting stuck to blocks negate his versatility. Putting him in primarily Cover 2 will allow his deep range to be more effective. 

Coverage - Projects nicely to serving as a one-high safety or playing deep halves/thirds. Showcases good range on the backend and he can cover considerable ground. Like how he leverage routes and squeezes zones. Showcases good understanding of zone coverage spacing. Has the quickness and speed to rotate late and reach landmarks. Can situationally hold his own in man coverage from the slot. 

Tackling - Physical hitter but isn’t always the most reliable tackler. Has a bad tendency to drop his head on contact which leads to whiffs. Isn’t consistent clearing contact and getting himself in ideal positioning to finish and tackling outside his frame is problematic. 

Processing - Clean processor that doesn’t often get his wires crossed but processing speed can certainly improve. Awareness in zones to routes and the football is sound. Run fits are inconsistent. 

Ball Skills - Has made some impressive plays on the football and his short area quickness and fluidity helps allow him to be disruptive when challenged. Does well to read the eyes of the quarterback and flow into throwing lanes. Wouldn’t label him a ballhawk but he has the ability to make plays on the ball when tested. 

Range - Dynamic range. He can stay over top of routes and flow sideline to sideline. Love his ability to close distances rapidly whether that’s in pursuit against the run or tracking the football. No limitations here. 

Physicality - No questions at all about his toughness and willingness to be physical. Has a track and field background, but he shouldn’t be stereotyped. Needs to improve his technique clearing blocks in pursuit and tackling form to maximize his desire to finish. 

Play Speed - His speed and athleticism is obvious when watching his film. Springy footwork and he quickly covers ground. Has the range needed to serve as a single high safety. Has enough juice to win in man coverage. Processing speed can speed up. 

Flexibility - Really like what he offers here. Has the fluidity to stay connected as routes break. Transitions a fluid and his change of direction ability is impressive. Won’t present limitations on account of stiffness. 

Versatility - Has lined up all across the formation for the Cal D, including deep, in the slot, as a robber and in the box. Doesn’t profile well as a box safety at the next level. Should be a four phase special teams contributor. 

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Dude can fly

“Davis, tabbed by CBS Sports as the third best safety and 36th best player in the draft, is still recovering from a surgical procedure after sustaining a groin injury on Nov. 30. The injury forced Davis to miss the Golden Bears' Redbox Bowl victory over Illinois. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Davis did make a big play for sustaining his injury, making a crucial interception near the end of Cal's victory over UCLA. 

In four seasons with the Golden Bears, Davis recorded 166 tackles, seven interceptions, 12 passes defensed, three fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles. One of Davis' best games occurred in 2018, recording two interceptions in the Golden Bears' victory over Colorado. 

In his pre-combine evaluation of Davis, The Draft Network's Joe Marino lauded Davis' ball skills, range, speed, flexibility and versatility. Marino, who compared Davis to veteran NFL safety Damarious Randall,  wrote that Davis' worst trait is his run support, a weakness that may keep him from being a first round pick. 

His range and speed are among Davis' biggest strengths entering the draft. Davis, who came to Cal on a track scholarship, won the Pac-12 110-meter hurdle title in 2017. He finished seventh in the NCAA in the event that year while not losing a single race in that event during the regular season. 

While he reportedly won't run at the combine, that shouldn't impact Davis' draft stock much, as he is currently slated as an early second round pick. The Vikings, Redskins and Cowboys, three teams that need help at the safety position, are among the teams that could draft Davis. 

Speed isnt everything man, see Troy Apke. He could make it happen though.

Dude looks to play tight. Makes me wonder how his range would be in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Fair enough. I like his instincts.  But clearly you see something I don’t 

He has a nose for the ball no doubt. He seems to be aggresive for the peanut punch. I'd take him just for that honestly. I'd hate to play against an ******* who punches you when he tackles you.

18 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

He has a nose for the ball no doubt. He seems to be aggresive for the peanut punch. I'd take him just for that honestly. I'd hate to play against an ******* who punches you when he tackles you.

I noticed that peanut punch you’re talking about.  I’d like him anytime after Rd 2

I like Davis in round 2-3. Something I want to see is a 3 safety, (Big Nickel) look where Neal is more in the box. If we do, having a guy like Davis to groom could be intriguing. He's competitive, and not afraid to tackle for sure. Speed, size, and athleticism makes him even more intriguing. Chinn may be more ideal for something like this though, and Delpit is just my guy in general.

4 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I like Davis in round 2-3. Something I want to see is a 3 safety, (Big Nickel) look where Neal is more in the box. If we do, having a guy like Davis to groom could be intriguing. He's competitive, and not afraid to tackle for sure. Speed, size, and athleticism makes him even more intriguing. Chinn may be more ideal for something like this though, and Delpit is just my guy in general.

Nice call on Chinn.  He is another guy who checks all the boxes from a versatility pov.  Can play slot, box or free safety

2 hours ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I'm not a huge fan of Davis. I feel like he is a straight line runner more than football speed. I know some will say that just based on him being a track athlete, but after watching some of his games, that is the impression that I have of him. Could be totally off. 

I like Davis a bit more than you, but I agree that he's more athlete than anything right now. If we're running more Cover 2 where he only has to worry about one side of the field, I love him here, but at least right now, he's more of a straight line downhill baller.

His range is potentially great, but right now it isn't his best quality. Love his character and potential though.