How much do you trust TD

Just now, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Lol really? Those picks are low or undrafted so try again. Also the coaches couldnt decided what defense to run. That was AS said Nolan was the worst DC he every played under. 

Regardless of how or where they were acquired, that was Dimi's answer to the linebacker situation. Pitiful. Should have been fired.

19 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

What the hail does that have to do with Dimi whiffing on nine LBs? NINE bro.

man, then Smitty should have been fired ages ago for derping around during the months of January to April because he made no contribution to the team then.

Lets look at the responsibilities of an NFL head coach

" Essentially, they run the team. NFL coaches makes all significant decisions, including draft picks, free agents, trades, day-to-day practice, depth charts, in-game substitutions, and game day scheme" (http://www.pro-football-fans.com/nfl-coaches.html)

check this video where the colts show how drafting decisions are made. Scouts and coaches fight for their guys and that's who the GM grabs at the appropriate time.

Colts HC doesn't have the overall power over the roster like DQ does either but see how much input he has on the draft picks that are chosen

10 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

man, then Smitty should have been fired ages ago for derping around during the months of January to April because he made no contribution to the team then.

Lets look at the responsibilities of an NFL head coach

" Essentially, they run the team. NFL coaches makes all significant decisions, including draft picks, free agents, trades, day-to-day practice, depth charts, in-game substitutions, and game day scheme" (http://www.pro-football-fans.com/nfl-coaches.html)

check this video where the colts show how drafting decisions are made. Scouts and coaches fight for their guys and that's who the GM grabs at the appropriate time.

Colts HC doesn't have the overall power over the roster like DQ does either but see how much input he has on the draft picks that are chosen

Don't show me a Colts video and think you're convincing me that's how The Branch is run. Ask JoeInPhx whose son was on Smitty's staff how it all went down. It wasn't like this.

1 hour ago, Mister pudding said:

That's the thing that gets my goat. He built an incredible oline with the Patriots... thought that would be a strong suit. Boy was I wrong 

It goes deeper than that.  When you hire an exec from a successful franchise, you want that exec to bring the ways of the successful franchise -with- him.

Seems to me TD actually goes out of his way to do the exact opposite of what his supposed mentor, Bill Belichick, would do..... which includes trading away tons of picks for one player,  something BB supposedly told TD was a bad move.

The Patriots have built successful teams by playing good D and building stout offensive lines.  Twelve years in, we are still waiting for TD to find players to fill those needs.

5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Don't show me a Colts video and think you're convincing me that's how The Branch is run. Ask JoeInPhx whose son was on Smitty's staff how it all went down. It wasn't like this.

What do you expect him to say? Joeinphx also said that once the bucs picked up the Mike Smith staff, the bucs were destined for greatness and that Falcons will regret their decision. 2 years later, we went to the superbowl and the Bucs remained one of most talented teams in the NFL to underachieve.

1 minute ago, egoprime II said:

It goes deeper than that.  When you hire an exec from a successful franchise, you want that exec to bring the ways of the successful franchise -with- him.

Seems to me TD actually goes out of his way to do the exact opposite of what his supposed mentor, Bill Belichick, would do..... which includes trading away tons of picks for one player,  something BB supposedly told TD was a bad move.

The Patriots have built successful teams by playing good D and building stout offensive lines.  Twelve years in, we are still waiting for TD to find players to fill those needs.

This.  And it isn't like Julio is the only player TD has done that with.  His philosophy is four square against what the consistently great teams do, which is stockpile picks to maximize efficiency in getting good players.

Every GM misses.  The problem ours has is he leaves himself very little room for error when he does.

Now, every few years he seems to hit paydirt.  Usually in conjunction with a coaching change (Mike Smith when he was a brand new coach, Smith when he brought Koetter in to run the offense, Quinn when he brought Shanahan in).  So TD seems to be a flash and fade kind of GM, which drives fans crazy.  It would drive us a lot less crazy if we'd won that Super Bowl in 2016, or made it to the one in 2012.  But it is what it is.  Our team is built around runs, and when we don't quite get there, instead of continuing to build the roster, we chase the last ring we didn't quite catch.

2 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

It may not be as easy as it sounds. Arthur Blank seems to maintain a comfy relationship with his players and trading them while they are still tradable may not be on the table. Not saying it's a true statement, but it may be a factor 

8 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

For me, even less.

But hey.... according to Rich McKay, TD and Quinn have -finally- figured out how to win games in the NFL!

Imagine that, heh....

***sarcasm off***

Honestly?  If McKay can get Blank to step back and get out of the way, I'm not sure they aren't correct about that.

I still have my philosophical issues with TD, but if he lets Quinn run the team and Quinn lets his coordinators do their jobs and just manages the project, he knows how to win in the NFL.  He did it in Seattle and he did it here.  And before anyone says he doesn't get credit for Shanahan's successes, he's the guy who hand picked Shanahan to come here and Shanahan has now crapped 2 different nests on the biggest stage, so I'm willing to give Quinn credit for what he did right and let Shanahan stand and fall on his own brilliance.

16 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

For what it's worth, that last part about chasing it -- I still think Arthur Blank is the turd in that particular punch bowl. But TD appears to be, at best, a yes man when it comes to that.  So he's culpable for not standing up and saying "we can't win consistently like this, please stop."

16 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

It may not be as easy as it sounds. Arthur Blank seems to maintain a comfy relationship with his players and trading them while they are still tradable may not be on the table. Not saying it's a true statement, but it may be a factor 

Both good points.  There is ample evidence that Blank has had more of a say in the draft.   Best proof is last year, when.... after signing two supposedly starting caliber FA guards... the Falcons used their first three picks on the OL.

Seems to me AB got real tired of seeing his prized star QB getting the crap beat out of him because TD insisted on drafting weak ZBS type OL's who could not pass block.   In typical Falcons fashion, all that investment in the OL failed to produce.

I think one reason TD and DQ are still here is because they did what Blank told them to do.... and it didn,t work.  Maybe Blank blames himself more than TD or Quinn?

If someone has this type of track record, should we really trust him?

• 53-59 in his last seven seasons
  • 2 playoff berths in the last 7 years
  • 14-18 in his last two years
  • No playoff berths in his last two years
  • Bottom of the league in available cap space for six years in a row
  • Got caught up in roster purges in 2013 and 2020 due to cap mismanagement
  • Couldn't build a front seven or OLine to save his life
  • Constructed an imbalanced roster
  • Inked some dumass contract extensions
  • Traded 25 picks to draft 10 players. Many of whom sucked
  • Needs based drafter who passed on Clay Matthews, Duane Brown, BayBay, Lavonte David, DeAndre Hopkins, Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley to fill needs with Jelly, Sackmaker, Featherspoon, King Konz, Trucant, Bloodline and Vic Bustley.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

This.  And it isn't like Julio is the only player TD has done that with.  His philosophy is four square against what the consistently great teams do, which is stockpile picks to maximize efficiency in getting good players.

Every GM misses.  The problem ours has is he leaves himself very little room for error when he does.

Now, every few years he seems to hit paydirt.  Usually in conjunction with a coaching change (Mike Smith when he was a brand new coach, Smith when he brought Koetter in to run the offense, Quinn when he brought Shanahan in).  So TD seems to be a flash and fade kind of GM, which drives fans crazy.  It would drive us a lot less crazy if we'd won that Super Bowl in 2016, or made it to the one in 2012.  But it is what it is.  Our team is built around runs, and when we don't quite get there, instead of continuing to build the roster, we chase the last ring we didn't quite catch.

IMO McKay being involved is the only reason to be optimistic for this season.  When he was GM McKay had his hits and misses.  However I think McKay was spread way too thin, with his work on the NFL competition committee and trying to get the stadium built making it hard to evaluate personnel.  Which is why I think TD was hired in the first place.

Hopefully McKay can help 'guide' TD and Quinn to being more successful, especially when it comes to signing free agents.  The Falcons lost some of that expertise when Pioli left.  I'm hoping McKay can make up for that.

5 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

So do you trust him is the question ? Yes or no....or are you already blaming DQ if it’s a poor draft? 

How can you trust one man with a vision that is tied together with his HC.Thats how this works he isn’t working independently off on a tangent making a decision without input from others.

My real question is do you trust this organisation to get this thing right.This too me is a better question.If your looking at the last 2 seasons no I wouldn’t.

My caveat is that the GM has been through this before and rebuilt this thing into a winner.Different coach and circumstances now.Ill be here with the :munch:watching.

3 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Funny this yet every other guy that’s come from this can’t fail tree has failed miserably yet TD is the fall guy for this ok then.

The idea your going to just copy the NE model and it’s guaranteed success is a failed thought process.You take the best of it and adapt it to your situation.

Patriots built a successful franchise because they have the best HC/GM of this generation.Yet TDs the problem.Hows Pioli and the rest of those geniuses off of the Belichick tree looking how many of them managed to run a team and have a job for a decade plus.Rebuilding and reloading a franchise to contend on multiple occasions over the time span.

TD is far from perfect far from it but be careful when you compare him to the NE model because outside of the best of the generation he’s been best of the rest picked off that tree.

6 hours ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

So TD didnt draft those guys you mentioned that panned out? Edwards flopping was, because he got paid and lazy. Thats just bad luck. Other guys you mentioned where later round flyer guys that didnt develop. MS rarely played young guys let a lone develop pass rushers. Sacks didnt matter to him or Nolan. Has TD missed some? Yes, show me someone who hasnt? Ozzie with the Ravens who was always considered one of the best didnt do great his last several years. Id take TD over him the years he has been here. Look at the Pats drafts lol. 

So what you’re still saying is TD is not to blame or be held accountable for the lack of pass rushers during the past 13 yrs. It was all coaching? After 13 yrs you’d figure he part of the problem here HOUSTON when it comes to pass rush.