How much do you trust TD

7 hours ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Really? I guess you dont remember MS and MN what they liked and wanted? Since DQ took over as head coach TD has added rushers, some just havent developed as they should have. Is development on TD as well?

Lol - so MS DQ developed MR2 JJ11 Ridley Jarrett D Jones KK A Hooper many others and just said the heck with pass rushers Bs Takk Mallicial Goodman Ray Edwards Stansley Moponga lol others  

Now give the your list of the great pass rushers MS DQ didn’t develop that TD drafted and even more tell me where they played after leaving. I’ll hang up and listen 

Edited by Atl Falcon

40 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Skill position players? I trust TD a great deal. Not completely--- but he does have a good eye for skill position talent.

Either offensive or defensive line? I would trust Stevie Wonder with a dartboard more than TD.

This is said a lot, but most O and D lineman picks have been lower rounds. The higher picks for the most part have been good. Some of the lower rounds were developmental guys and Mike Smith never even played youngs guys let a lone try and develop them. DQ has had issues developing some also. Injuries have also hurt some of his picks. 

16 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Lol - so MS DQ developed MR2 JJ11 Ridley Jarrett D Jones KK A Hooper many others and just said the heck with pass rushers Bs Takk Mallicial Goodman Ray Edwards Stansley Moponga lol others  

Now give the your list of the great passers MS TD didn’t develop that TD drafted and even more tell me where they played after leaving. I’ll hang up and listen 

So TD didnt draft those guys you mentioned that panned out? Edwards flopping was, because he got paid and lazy. Thats just bad luck. Other guys you mentioned where later round flyer guys that didnt develop. MS rarely played young guys let a lone develop pass rushers. Sacks didnt matter to him or Nolan. Has TD missed some? Yes, show me someone who hasnt? Ozzie with the Ravens who was always considered one of the best didnt do great his last several years. Id take TD over him the years he has been here. Look at the Pats drafts lol. 

1 hour ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

I turst him quite a bit. Is he perfect? No, but he is one of the best in the league. I know fans tend to hate on him, but he would have a job quickly if he were fired. A lot of people hated on him in the Mike Smith, Nolan era, but he got what the coaches asked for. Injuries hurt and other things, but for the most part he makes good picks and adds good FA's where needed. He made some good teams and we could have easily had a couple rings if not for injuries and coaching errors. Thats not on TD by himself. 

LMAO. Remember when Smitty and Nolan switched to a 3-4 in 2014? They asked Dimi to go get the backers they needed to run it. Dimi whiffed nine times on:

1. Paul Worrilow
  2. Joplo Bartu
  3. Pat Angerer
  4. Lofa Tatupu
  5. Prince Shemble
  6. Tyler Starr
  7. Marquis Spruill
  8. Jacques Smith
  9. Yawin Smallwood

After seeing what Dimi brought in in the first practice, they abandoned the 3-4 the next day and switched to a 4-2 nickel base with freakin Warlock and JopTop starting at backer. Buddy should have been fired on the spot.

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

Now give the your list of the great passers MS TD didn’t develop that TD drafted and even more tell me where they played after leaving. I’ll hang up and listen 

Yup, because positional coaches don't exist. DQ and MS were directly in charge of developing players. /s

Since 2008, we have had some of the best WR and TE coaches in the league and a turnstile at Dline coaching

TD is not perfect, but has has built 3 SB caliber rosters in 12 years.

In 12 drafts he has picked 15 Pro Bowl players (projecting Lindstrom & Ridley).  He has picked 2 HOF players and signed 3 HOF players via FA who were still in their prime.

Hate how he trades up in round 1 and his cap management recently leaves something to be desired.  But he is still a very, very good GM.

TD has drafted 39 quality starters for the Falcons in 12 years.  That’s good work

10 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Didn't we have this thread a month ago? Either way, the answer is...marginally more than a month ago after an off-season that actually felt directed and intentional instead of frantic. There's a lot I don't like about TD, but I think this draft is lining up well for us after addressing most of our glaring holes.

My thing with him is he has always seemed to try to make the team 'good enough' for the upcoming year, he never has seemed to be interested in building a solid, long-term contender. To be fair, he has an owner that would most likely hamstring any long-term success plan because he meddles in things too much and is too involved in the football operations. But the draft for need every year, and the way he has handled contract finances (which came home to roost in a big way this off season), has allowed for a couple of pretty great seasons, but a lot of mediocrity as well. I wonder if with a different approach, there would have been multiple opportunities to compete at a higher level - now, we're kind of stuck in a 'be as good as we can THIS year before Ryan and Julio's windows close', so there's really no escaping the hole-patching methodology now no matter who the GM is.

21 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO. Remember when Smitty and Nolan switched to a 3-4 in 2014? 

Because MS and Nolan knew exactly what they were doing. Lets ask one of the players they coached 

Even mike smith knew before he was fired

"This is a 6-10 football team, and there's one person that the record is attributed to. That's the head football coach, and we were 6-10 in 2014. There's a whole lot of things I could have done differently and better." - Mike Smith

21 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

After seeing what Dimi brought in in the first practice, they abandoned the 3-4 the next day and switched to a 4-2 nickel base with freakin Warlock and JopTop starting at backer. Buddy should have been fired on the spot.

What if it was Smitty and Nolan telling him those were the guys to go and get? Maybe what he should have done was tell Smitty and Nolan that retooling the entire defensive side of the roster wasn't a very good idea to begin with. Either way yeah, that was a huge flop. I kind of felt bad for Nolan, he had squat to work with.

Zero,

TD is one of the worst GM's when it comes to evaluating and acquiring talent along the trenches. 13 years and our OL is almost always trash and he has yet to draft or sign anyone that is a consistently good pass rusher.

As long as TD is our GM our OL will suck and we will not be able to put pressure ont he opposing QB.

11 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Because MS and Nolan knew exactly what they were doing. Lets ask one of the players they coached 

Even mike smith knew before he was fired

"This is a 6-10 football team, and there's one person that the record is attributed to. That's the head football coach, and we were 6-10 in 2014. There's a whole lot of things I could have done differently and better." - Mike Smith

What the hail does that have to do with Dimi whiffing on nine LBs? NINE bro.

11 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

What if it was Smitty and Nolan telling him those were the guys to go and get? Maybe what he should have done was tell Smitty and Nolan that retooling the entire defensive side of the roster wasn't a very good idea to begin with. Either way yeah, that was a huge flop. I kind of felt bad for Nolan, he had squat to work with.

Then Dimi was a freakin puppet and should have been fired even sooner.

19 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

TD is not perfect, but has has built 3 SB caliber rosters in 12 years.

In 12 drafts he has picked 15 Pro Bowl players (projecting Lindstrom & Ridley).  He has picked 2 HOF players and signed 3 HOF players via FA who were still in their prime.

Hate how he trades up in round 1 and his cap management recently leaves something to be desired.  But he is still a very, very good GM.

TD has drafted 39 quality starters for the Falcons in 12 years.  That’s good work

I got 2012 and 2016.  What was the third?

2008 is the only one I can think of and I'm not sure I'd call that a Super Bowl caliber roster with a rookie at QB.  Good year for sure, but I don't think we win it all if we get past the Cards that year.

To answer the question, I think he's better than most, but not really a whiz kid by any means.  He's reasonably competent.  I like Dan Quinn and I was an early adopter of the "let it ride, don't fire him yet" strategy, but I'm not sure TD can get it done with just him and Quinn.  As much as I've said OCs are replaceable, and they are, Shanahan was special, and we haven't come close to special since he left (please, no mentally challenged jokes here).  I'd call Sark competent but not spectacular, and Dirk really remains to be seen because they tried to square peg/round hole him last season so we don't really know what he can do with this roster just yet.

In part because he's still forming the offensive roster in his image.

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I got 2012 and 2016.  What was the third?

2008 is the only one I can think of and I'm not sure I'd call that a Super Bowl caliber roster with a rookie at QB.  Good year for sure, but I don't think we win it all if we get past the Cards that year.

Any year you earn a #1 seed I have to consider it a SB caliber roster.

The Steelers lost to the Packers in 2010 SB.  We beat the Packers in Week 13 and lost to Steelers in OT.  Unfortunately we caught the wrong end of Packers buzzsaw in the playoffs.

I would even consider 2017 a SB worthy roster.  

First off, who the hail is Greg Gabriel?  And anyone who has a pulse can sign up for a twitter account & opine.

If this guy is so naive that he believes TD or any GM is sitting out there isolated with no means of communication at their disposal then this is reason enough not to follow this guy.  

While we're at it, let's stop pretending that GM's & team personnel haven't been studying/scouting the next group of nfl prospects since the last draft ended.

Furthermore, this TD obsession is worthy of some serious mental health treatment imo.  It's boring & immature as hail as well.

But don't let me stop the party :bang:

47 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO. Remember when Smitty and Nolan switched to a 3-4 in 2014? They asked Dimi to go get the backers they needed to run it. Dimi whiffed nine times on:

1. Paul Worrilow
  2. Joplo Bartu
  3. Pat Angerer
  4. Lofa Tatupu
  5. Prince Shemble
  6. Tyler Starr
  7. Marquis Spruill
  8. Jacques Smith
  9. Yawin Smallwood

Lol really? Those picks are low or undrafted so try again. Also the coaches couldnt decided what defense to run. That was AS said Nolan was the worst DC he every played under. 

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The Steelers lost to the Packers in 2010 SB.  We beat the Packers in Week 13 and lost to Steelers in OT.  Unfortunately we caught the wrong end of Packers buzzsaw in the playoffs.

2010 is not a bad roster, granted.  But the way the Packers wrecked us, I can't say it's "Super Bowl caliber."  That was not our year, for whatever reason.  And honestly I don't care who the coach was, the Packers were going to win that year.  Just like we should have won in 2016.  No team was better than us that year, and honestly the only other year in Falcons history I can say that about is 1980.

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Almost every NFC team except the Bucs Cards Lions and Redskins have fielded a SB caliber team this decade, that isn’t special. TD lacks consistency and he can’t build trenches.