Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Spts1

Tried to watch 28-3 Superbowl for the first time.

Posted (edited)

Fox has been replaying that game. I TRIED to watch it for the first time since it was played.  I have dissected  bits and pieces here and there to prove my opinion that the game was fishy.  I still feel that way.  I watched the first quarter and some of the second and clicked it off.  The Falcons  giving up leads during the season showed the defense was capable of letting the Patriots back into the game. No surprise there. The FISHY surprise was Shanahan's playcalling and time management the second half of the game.  Whatever the reason they lost,  the bar has been set and I don't accept nothing short of winning the chip.  The WORST that game should have been was 31-28 with the Falcons holding them off.

The Falcons have  cast their lot with Ryan and Quinn and they better get it done.  100 million quarterback and a defensive guru head coach. Excuses have run out. Players have to continue the second half  momentum from last season and step up. New uniforms don't get it done.  The Falcons still have a core of Superbowl caliber players and if they can get a fast start, they should  survive a tough schedule and get at least one of the expanded playoff spots.  Its Superbowl and nothing else.

Edited by Spts1

I refuse to put myself through it.  I was at the game, sitting next to a Pats fan.  His mood went from "the refs are giving ya'll every call" to straight trash talk in the fourth.  He almost got me heated enough to punch him.  The agony of seeing the blue, red and white confetti instead of black, red and white as I walked out of NRG made my stomach turn.  Instead of staying in Houston that night, we drove back home to San Antonio. So screw FOX, NFLN, ESPN and any other outlet who keeps reminding me of that night.  

/rant over.  

Idk about fishy. Shanny got an ego and blew it just like this past SB vs the Chiefs. Quinn should have overrode Shannys playcalling. Pats then exposed Jalen Collins and the young secondary and dinked and slanted us to death in the second half. Quinn’s defense couldn’t get one stop in the second half and couldn’t stop holding the opposing team allowing easy first downs. Nothing fishy. We shot ourselves in the foot numerous times after the score was 28-3. It was a Quinn led team with foolish aggressiveness and lack of discipline. Simple as that.

I was going to make this post last week but it slipped my mind. The Nfl's Youtube page posted it and I watched it for the first time since that dreadful day. And I watched it all the way through and rewinded quite a bit. From what I took from it was that our offense was way too explosive. The times we did score or get to mid field, we did in about 4 or 5 plays at an average of 2 minutes. We had one drive if i can remember correctly which was longer than 4 minutes the entire game.  We had a total of 4 minutes of offense in the entire 2nd Quarter. Where as NE had like two drives that were 6 minutes long and one that was longer than 4 almost 5 minutes long. Our defense was getting gassed and to make matters worse after only having 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter offensively, we get the ball the beginning of the 3rd and go 3 and out. :bang:  Putting the defense back out there. I went on profootball reference and looked at the snap counts. This is off the stop of my head but Deion Jones and Keanu Neal played a total of 99 snaps. Donte Hightower and Devin McCourtey played about 35 snaps. NE defense was fresh ASF all game long and it showed later in the game where they were blitzing like crazy hitting Matt Ryan. Then Coleman and Schraeder got hurt, there goes the blocking. We should have ran the ball wayyyyyy more and took control of the clock.  

Posted (edited)

Forgot to mention Alford and Poole were two big reasons why the defense got gassed. They gave up like two back to back 3rd down stops with holding calls on the same drive. And more holding calls through out the game. 

Edited by Precyse

4 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

I haven't watched it since the night it happened, but the only fishy thing that I recall was I believe we had 3 straight stops on their 3rd down and on each one a defensive holding penalty gave them a first down. Beginning of the end

Yeah Alford and Poole 

There were a lot of mistakes in that game.  We couldn't convert 3rd down to save our lives.  We got a couple turnovers at opportune moments that made it look more lopsided than it was early.

Still, had we started milking clock middle of the 3rd, they would have had a hard time coming back.  We were making them take long drives.  But we chose to stay aggressive and that's fine.

When it wasn't fine was with 4 minutes in the game and inside field goal range.  Run 3 times and kick a field goal.  There is no excuse for anything else there.  You take the win.  Up 11 points with 3 minutes left and them w no timeouts and it's game over.

1 hour ago, Absolute said:

I refuse to put myself through it.  I was at the game, sitting next to a Pats fan.  His mood went from "the refs are giving ya'll every call" to straight trash talk in the fourth.  He almost got me heated enough to punch him.  The agony of seeing the blue, red and white confetti instead of black, red and white as I walked out of NRG made my stomach turn.  Instead of staying in Houston that night, we drove back home to San Antonio. So screw FOX, NFLN, ESPN and any other outlet who keeps reminding me of that night.  

/rant over.  

That had to been rough. I heard a woman the next day talking on the radio about driving from Atlanta to the game. That ride back was rough she said...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Precyse said:

Forgot to mention Alford and Poole were two big reasons why the defense got gassed. They gave up like two back to back 3rd down stops with holding calls on the same drive. And more holding calls through out the game. 

That was part of the fishy part.  When Atlanta got called for 3 straight defensive holding calls when the refs tried to help keep it close,  THATS when I realized that the Patriots could come back and win that game. The odds of 3 straight holding  calls on third down. Come on dude...:(

Edited by Spts1

1 hour ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Didn’t Mack get hurt as well in the game? 

And there was another injury on the line, which is another reason it was questionable about Shanahan running deep pocket drop passing plays when he should  have been kicking field goals...

1 hour ago, Mister pudding said:

I haven't watched it since the night it happened, but the only fishy thing that I recall was I believe we had 3 straight stops on their 3rd down and on each one a defensive holding penalty gave them a first down. Beginning of the end

Exactly.  I just posted about that. Even the neutral fans at the game were booing that...

Y’all need to do what I do.  I refer to it as super bowl 50 3/4.  I’ve rewatched it a number of times and click it off after the 3rd quarter.  I’ve almost convinced myself that 4th quarter never happened. 

56 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

Even clicking on this thread brings my stress level up a couple of levels. I just can’t do it. Really had to reevaluate what sports meant to me after seeing how much a game could work me up.

My bad...:( look, I'm a Georgia  Bulldawg fan too and had to sit through both of those collapses against Bama too. Still haven't watched either of those games again either...