Jump to content

The What young people need to do is put away their phones and start playing that stick in the hoop game from the 1920's again Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 40.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Mr. Hoopah!

    5386

  • AF89

    3350

  • WhenFalconsWin

    3045

  • lostone

    2192

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Posted Images

1 minute ago, lostone said:

If you talked to her you would understand.  She wants to be a civil rights lawyer.  But she is in the program called jack and Jill where the black people with money send their children (at least in the city I’m in) to meet other private school black kids.  They got to zoom with Kamala before she got the VP nod.

Maybe there's a cultural difference, and I suspect there might be, but my daughter (8 years old) hates Trump, and it's not because if anything I've exposed her too.

 

 

I try to shelter her from dumb *** politics. I am obsessed with my politics not influencing my kids......but they have the internet.

 

 

 

I dread the day they find this place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, achilles return said:

personally i'd never begrudge a kid for seeing someone they feel like they can look up to and aspire to.

 

 

Just now, Jdrizzle said:

Maybe there's a cultural difference, and I suspect there might be, but my daughter (8 years old) hates Trump, and it's not because if anything I've exposed her too.

 

 

I try to shelter her from dumb *** politics. I am obsessed with my politics not influencing my kids......but they have the internet.

 

 

 

I dread the day they find this place.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jdrizzle said:

Maybe there's a cultural difference, and I suspect there might be, but my daughter (8 years old) hates Trump, and it's not because if anything I've exposed her too.

 

 

I try to shelter her from dumb *** politics. I am obsessed with my politics not influencing my kids......but they have the internet.

 

 

 

I dread the day they find this place.

My kids hate Trump too. They see articles on their iPads, and they can both read...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, achilles return said:

personally i'd never begrudge a kid for seeing someone they feel like they can look up to and aspire to.

 

I'd also add if my boy comes to me, he's 13, and said the same thing......I'd support it all day even if it was some horrible person. I'd have discussions because he's thirteen, he's forming his own opinions all day everyday and in that stage where adults are just ******** who don't get it.

 

 

 

My eight year old though........y'all (we) can wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AF89 said:

Dawg is unleashing jack boots on peaceful protests and purposely escalating as many situations as he can get away with to supply content for his favored cable news channel I don't really give a **** how lame anyone thinks my vote for Biden and Copmala is

 

1 hour ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

I don't have an opinion on someone else's point of view. It's not fair. They have the reasons they feel the way they do, whether you think it's justified, lame, ridiculous, etc or not.

 

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I was 18 :shrug:

 

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Also what does the DOJ have to do with pandemic or natural disaster responses? 

Sometimes I feel like maybe we’re taking things too personally and getting too defensive. Drake, I responded to two posts of you talking about Barr and the pandemic separately and they’re two topics that you talk about regularly. Also I wanna clarify that I can think voting for Biden is inherently lame and some of the reasoning is lame  but that doesn’t define anyone or render them a lame in my eyes. I’ve always regarded most of you as likable squares and I will continue to do so. :)  But seriously I bust balls way harder than this with my real life friends. This forum is the only place in person or online where I share my political opinions that I have to restrain and censor myself at all. This is genuinely me being as nice and respectful as I’m capable of being.
 

1 hour ago, Jdrizzle said:

I sure hope you aren't referring to my post as not having the luxury. 

 

1 hour ago, Jdrizzle said:

I don't know how to have an honest discussion with someone who wants things to get worse quicker because they believe it can save lives ultimately. And I'm not completely dismissing the idea that there may be something worth discussing there.........but I'm 1000% not there 

 

How can an honest debate happen between a person who wants things to get better and a person who believes things getting way worse even quicker is the way to go?

 

It can't in my opinion.

 

 

It was a general statement; I wasn’t thinking about your post in particular. There’s just few things that will get me to dismiss an argument faster than couching things in terms of luxury, privilege, etc.

When I first read your post I legit chuckled and said to myself it looks like perhaps Powers had a few cocktails, or perhaps not, but he decided to say what was on his mind. 

Also I do want to clarify that the accelerationist argument I read called for voting for Biden. So if it was my intention to make things worse on purpose then I’d be doing what you guys are doing. 

Like I said, for me it doesn’t sound like a good idea to bring children into this world, but if I did, knowing what’s on the horizon, I’d probably wanna prep them like Sarah Connor.

Edited by Corn Pop
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I ever had kids  (and i hopefully wont) all that'd I'd ask is that they share my sports prejudices. For whatever reason it would bother me more watching them run around chanting Who Dat rather than "I'm spoiled Rotten for Tom Cotton"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AF89 said:

If I ever had kids  (and i hopefully wont) all that'd I'd ask is that they share my sports prejudices. For reason it would bother me more watching them run around chanting Who Dat rather than "I'm spoiled Rotten for Tom Cotton"

yeah i'm pretty my dad will never let my adulthood rejection of uga fandom go, for the rest of my life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jdrizzle said:

The cutting of funding to the CDC, - Executive branch doesnt fund

the actual pulling out of an epidemiologist in China who was on the ground where we knew the next one would come from, - would like to learn more

the "Ahhh it's just gonna go away in January through March attitude, attitude does not equal responsibility.

 

the literal firing of the pandemic response team that Obama put in place - every new president puts in its own people, speculation on Obama's team being better is just that

 

the federal pressure against anyone who shut down, and finally the pressure of cutting funding on any state who doesn't offer face to face learning now. - pressure doesn't make hime responsible for anything

Again, what did bad orange man do that makes him more responsible than than the local govenors...?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

 

 

 

Sometimes I feel like maybe we’re taking things too personally and getting too defensive. Drake, I responded to two posts of you talking about Barr and the pandemic separately and they’re two topics that you talk about regularly. Also I wanna clarify that I can think voting for Biden is inherently lame and some of the reasoning is lame  but that doesn’t define anyone or render them a lame in my eyes. I’ve always regarded most of you as likable squares and I will continue to do so. :)  But seriously I bust balls way harder than this with my real life friends. This forum is the only place in person or online where I share my political opinions that I have to restrain and censor myself at all. This is genuinely me being as nice and respectful as I’m capable of being.
 

 

It was a general statement; I wasn’t thinking about your post in particular. There’s just few things that will get me to dismiss an argument faster than couching things in terms of luxury, privilege, etc.

When I first read your post I legit chuckled and said to myself it looks like perhaps Powers had a few cocktails, or perhaps not, but he decided to say what was on his mind. 

Also I do want to clarify that the accelerationist argument I read called for voting for Biden. So if it was my intention to make things worse on purpose then I’d be doing what you guys are doing. 

Like I said, for me it doesn’t sound like a good idea to bring children into this world, but if I did, knowing what’s on the horizon, I’d probably wanna prep them like Sarah Connor.

So my point would be you followed that up by saying I hope he gets elected because that leads to Cotton and Crenshaw, and then you said your ultimate goal is to prevent bloodshed because societal change is coming in the next thirty years and kicking the can down the road makes it worse.....

 

 

 

You want it to get worse as quickly as possible. Kicking the can down the road just makes it worse. Your words.

 

 

How else am I supposed to interpret all those posts combined together?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You know the whole idea of decentralizing the pamdemic response (except when Trump goes on Twitter or Fox and Friends to threaten state funding cause he can't stay on message)  is so his supporters can go around asking how it's his fault for the bad things but them quickly claim credit for the good things... in an election year.

It's really not much deeper than that

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jdrizzle said:

I don't know how to have an honest discussion with someone who wants things to get worse quicker because they believe it can save lives ultimately. And I'm not completely dismissing the idea that there may be something worth discussing there.........but I'm 1000% not there 

 

How can an honest debate happen between a person who wants things to get better and a person who believes things getting way worse even quicker is the way to go?

 

It can't in my opinion.

 

 

oh, i wanted to say one thing.

from my perspective, it's basically impossible to tell which path is ultimately going to lead us down the road towards least harm. obviously i have no issue with anyone voting for biden in terms of pure harm reduction, and it's something i continue to struggle with, but i also cannot say with any certainty that a biden presidency is better, in the long run, for this country. we have a pretty good idea that a biden administration is not going to greatly alter the material conditions that produced donald trump's election, and i genuinely fear for whatever waits us on the other side of his mediocrity. 

i can't act like i have all the answers. maybe a biden victory is better for most people, and it seems like it certainly would be in the short term. i don't fault anyone for basing a decision on that, i just don't think it's a mere accelerationist take to suggest it might not end well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I wish I could lodge my customary 3rd party protest vote. (And make no mistake, in this system that's all a 3rd party vote will ever be) 

But Trump's response to the pandemic, the casual way he used federal force to clear peaceful protestors for a photo op, the systematic dismantling of any executive oversight, etc is forcing me to apply my protest vote in the place that will do the most damage to his reelection chances. Biden is garbage, but i see this as selecting genital warts over rectal cancer. 

I could vote for Jo Jorgensen. But that doesn't hurt Trump enough for my satisfaction. And I honestly don't give a dusty **** if anyone has a problem with that. 

I’m returning to my Green Party roots this cycle and voting for the homie Howie Hawkins. I regret not voting Stein last time, but I honestly thought there was a chance Johnson could hit the 5% threshold. I’m not gonna consider Jo Jorgensen unless she got some special powers when that rapid bat bit her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, achilles return said:

oh, i wanted to say one thing.

from my perspective, it's basically impossible to tell which path is ultimately going to lead us down the road towards least harm. obviously i have no issue with anyone voting for biden in terms of pure harm reduction, and it's something i continue to struggle with, but i also cannot say with any certainty that a biden presidency is better, in the long run, for this country. we have a pretty good idea that a biden administration is not going to greatly alter the material conditions that produced donald trump's election, and i genuinely fear for whatever waits us on the other side of his mediocrity. 

i can't act like i have all the answers. maybe a biden victory is better for most people, and it seems like it certainly would be in the short term. i don't fault anyone for basing a decision on that, i just don't think it's a mere accelerationist take to suggest it might not end well. 

Well like I said just a post above.......that's not what BO was arguing.

 

He posted the article where a Biden presidency is actually potentially a plus for accelerationists......and he literally said just today his ultimate goal is to prevent bloodshed for the societal change that is coming and kicking the can down the road just makes it worse 

 

 

If kicking the can makes it worse.......what's the other option?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

Again, what did bad orange man do that makes him more responsible than than the local govenors...?

my dude you have done the 'orange man bad' like a dozen times now, as if it's simply crazy that anyone could somehow take issue with the president of the united states presiding over the deaths of over a hundred and sixty thousand dead americans. having watched the republican party cynically deploy fake outrage over the deaths of just four americans, one of which i knew personally, for literal years and to absolutely no end but political damage, i feel pretty confident in telling you that no one is going to waste their time debating the formula for determining quantitative responsibility like this is a ******* video game and we're racking up scores with someone who clearly doesn't give a **** outside of looking to find anyone else to blame for their sociopath idol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The What young people need to do is put away their phones and start playing that stick in the hoop game from the 1920's again Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...