Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Hoopah!

The They Finally Got Her Thread

1 hour ago, The Great American said:

Those are some good questions but I really like what the Apostle Paul said in Philippians 4,

" I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."  

We have to learn contentment.  

do you think slave owners in the antebellum south used this verse to demand subservience from their slaves?

4 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Excuse me.  What am I objecting to?

"learn to be content" as a response to a black guy questioning you about systemic racism made me think of the kinds of things literal slave owners would say about their slaves to justify racial hierarchy.

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/12/us/old-southern-documents-give-lie-to-theory-of-happy-slaves.html

they didn't have any trouble hiding behind their faith, either. it was an explicit form of control.

Those are some good questions but I really like what the Apostle Paul said in Philippians 4,

" I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."  

I'm not meaning to pile on here I'm genuinely trying to figure out what you were trying to say.

So was MLK lacking in contentment? When does contentment become just acceptance of an unjust system or circumstances? 

6 minutes ago, Jdrizzle said:

I'm not meaning to pile on here I'm genuinely trying to figure out what you were trying to say.

So was MLK lacking in contentment? When does contentment become just acceptance of an unjust system or circumstances? 

If you remember, this was in reference to changing places with Lostone.  It has nothing to do with plantations.   The verse has nothing to do with being black or white.  It's about trusting God in any circumstance.  

Hope that helps. 

1 minute ago, The Great American said:

If you remember, this was in reference to changing places with Lostone.  It has nothing to do with plantations.   The verse has nothing to do with being black or white.  It's about trusting God in any circumstance.  

Hope that helps. 

You seriously don't understand what he means by changing places? Why he's asking that question? What he means?

It has everything to do with race and you responded with a verse about being content.

9 minutes ago, Jdrizzle said:

You seriously don't understand what he means by changing places? Why he's asking that question? What he means?

It has everything to do with race and you responded with a verse about being content.

He knows what he is doing.  He really doesn’t want to answer the question because he knows the answer is he wouldn’t trade and he knows things aren’t equal, not even close.

5 minutes ago, Jdrizzle said:

Of course I understand.  What I'm saying is that if my faith and trust is strong enough ... it shouldn't matter my color.  Go back and study the Apostle Paul's life.  Very few people had it worse than him.  But he learned how to be content and he never asked anyone to trade places with him.

Just now, lostone said:

He knows what he is doing.  He really doesn’t want to answer the question because he knows the answer is he wouldn’t trade and he knows things aren’t equal, not even close.

It's a lame argument for one thing.  We couldn't trade places if we wanted to.  Secondly, I think you have it better than many people in this world and you dont realize how wealthy you really are. You're a very blessed man!!

Just now, The Great American said:

Of course I understand.  What I'm saying is that if my faith and trust is strong enough ... it shouldn't matter my color.  Go back and study the Apostle Paul's life.  Very few people had it worse than him.  But he learned how to be content and he never asked anyone to trade places with him.

You are playing coy by hiding behind the Bible.  I am pretty sure slave masters would use this along with the verses about God loves a diligent worker.

Just now, The Great American said:

It's a lame argument for one thing.  We couldn't trade places if we wanted to.  Secondly, I think you have it better than many people in this world and you dont realize how wealthy you really are. You're a very blessed man!!

Jesus Christ

keep playing the mental gymnastics.  In this country given things are equal between us in every way, are things better/easier if you are black or white.  Very simple question.

Whether you intended to or not, this is some of the same crap that slave masters used to do. Tell slaves to be content because God wanted them to obey their masters.

9 minutes ago, The Great American said:

This is some prosperity gospel ******** friend, you're pretty much admitting that things are worse for black folk and you gotta learn to be content with it. 

5 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

This is some prosperity gospel ******** friend, you're pretty much admitting that things are worse for black folk and you gotta learn to be content with it. 

Pretty manifest destinyish 

5 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

It's the exact opposite of the prosperity gospel!!! This has nothing to do with race.  Its trusting God in the hard times.