Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Hoopah!

The They Finally Got Her Thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

It's difficult to explain to a non-American just how hopelessly impossible that is. 

I guess I have to take your word for it. I am interested though, in 1992 there was Ross Perot and at one point he did have a realistic chance of winning the election before he withdrew (and reentered) for no apparent reason. He still did have a huge impact in the election.

So something must have happened since 1992?!

Edited by Herr Beast

11 minutes ago, lostone said:

Y’all this hits different, these are some ultra diverse protests.  This is feeling different I am telling you.  

I had to talk my mom out of going to a protest today.

I want to be VERY clear that I’m NOT advocating for anything specific in this post.  I’m just posting some observations about what’s going on with the protests.

I said last night that this feels like the Arab Spring to me in terms of its organization and scope.  What is missing, however, is a very clear goal or list of demands.  The April 6 Youth Movement in Egypt built the protests to a critical mass and then had a clear demand that Mubarak resign and other reforms involving the police.  It was independent of any political party, although they did align with the Muslim Brotherhood during the protests.  

If the protestors or whomever is organizing them want to effect some kind of change and prevent this from fizzling out and overtaken by the next story, they need to have a clear set of leaders to speak on their behalf and they need to have a clear set of policy changes (or resignations of political leaders) to articulate and publicize.  They have the attention of the public and the politicians.  Now would be the time to translate that into specific goals or changes they want by uniting behind a specific set of goals or changes they want.

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

The good thing is that as posted right before you....it is not just black folks protesting....Alot of white people and I know here in PHX there have been more than a few Hispanics protesting as well.

The race war that many on the right want to happen won't.

Trust me. The right doesn’t want a race war. And ANTIFA isn’t black people by the way 🤷🏼‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I want to be VERY clear that I’m NOT advocating for anything specific in this post.  I’m just posting some observations about what’s going on with the protests.

I said last night that this feels like the Arab Spring to me in terms of its organization and scope.  What is missing, however, is a very clear goal or list of demands.  The April 6 Youth Movement in Egypt built the protests to a critical mass and then had a clear demand that Mubarak resign and other reforms involving the police.  It was independent of any political party, although they did align with the Muslim Brotherhood during the protests.  

If the protestors or whomever is organizing them want to effect some kind of change and prevent this from fizzling out and overtaken by the next story, they need to have a clear set of leaders to speak on their behalf and they need to have a clear set of policy changes (or resignations of political leaders) to articulate and publicize.  They have the attention of the public and the politicians.  Now would be the time to translate that into specific goals or changes they want by uniting behind a specific set of goals or changes they want.

The Arab spring was one big disaster. The total scale of suffering that resulted from this so called Arab spring is the biggest since WWII and the whole chapter is far from being finished.

22 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

I guess I have to take your word for it. I am interested though, in 1992 there was Ross Perot and at one point he did have a realistic chance of winning the election before he withdrew (and reentered) for no apparent reason. He still did have a huge impact in the election.

So something must have happened since 1992?!

Perot never had a chance. He likely siphoned enough votes from Old Man Bush to swing it over to Clinton, but he didn't get a single electoral vote despite getting 20% of the popular vote.