Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Hoopah!

The They Finally Got Her Thread

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Well dam Rachel

My son and I were watching LZ Granderson yesterday and he was talking about how his Dad had a talk with him about how to behave around police to avoid undue attention. 

My son looked at me and said,  "Dad never had to have a talk with me like that. This whole situation has really opened my eyes to white privilege "

He and his mates from Bama from were all talking about the same thing. Maybe the death of George Floyd can influence some change in hearts.

6 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

My son and I were watching LZ Granderson yesterday and he was talking about how his Dad had a talk with him about how to behave around police to avoid undue attention. 

My son looked at me and said,  "Dad never had to have a talk with me like that. This whole situation has really opened my eyes to white privilege "

He and his mates from Bama from were all talking about the same thing. Maybe the death of George Floyd can influence some change in hearts.

I certainly hope so. They definitely start young, example the Carrollton High School students that went viral and then the girl involved started leaking videos of her friends left and right. 

The sad part is, these days, we can talk to our kids about racism and let them know it’s not right and they’ll still be influenced from outside sources. I’m with you, I hope this changes a lot of hearts. The **** just isn’t right. 

5 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Because of the way departments take on a homogenous culture, and because of the "blue code" as it's currently enforced, even if we have 10% bad cops...I'd argue we have a tiny fraction of that percentage as good cops.

Not that most police aren't good people, even. But there's a sickening culture of complacency and blue brotherhood. I consider cops good cops if they're willing to step up to their fellow officers or talk them down. Those cops are exceedingly rare, and they tend to be in clusters where a department has a culture of comaraderie by accountability. Watching out for the guy next to you by making sure you step in if they're messing up. That's rarer than you know. Plenty of cops are capable of it and just aren't trained on peer intervention.

Because of this, the 10% bad cops turns into a full on bad department since the bad cops never have to face true punishment. Worse yet, cops who do raise complaints are ostracized or even admonished by upper ranks. This lets the white supremacists and power trippers - and they do exist, though they are a minority - continue to abuse the system and their constituents. It's a sinister system.

When people talk about systemic racism in police forces, they don't mean all cops are racist (or at least, if they aren't generalizing and demonizing they don't). They mean racist policy and officers are allowed to exist and propogate with little to no consequence. And that's proven over time.

Yeah, I mentioned all that after I realized what I said.

10 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That starts at the top. That starts when it stops being a "cops vs. people" situation. The good cops have to stop being punished for stepping up and speaking out against their "brothers in arms." We see the same problems when it comes to the armed forces. There's that whole "brotherhood" and if you speak out against injustice that occurs inside the "brotherhood" you are the one that is punished, not the one that is actually committing the injustice. That needs to change and it starts at the very top with the commanders and chiefs. Sadly, no one wants to be the one that has the courage necessary to start the ball rolling to change the tide of a crooked "justice" system.

9 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Dammit!! I really wanted to go and visit that.

Me too

5 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Who is Killer Mike and why does he go by that name?

He’s a rapper. He’s never killed anyone. He has done more for Atlanta than a lot of these other rappers

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

He’s a rapper. He’s never killed anyone. He has done more for Atlanta than a lot of these other rappers

Really not big into rap so I didn't know he was a rapper and that was his stage name. No didn't than MGK in that regard with his stage name.

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

Me too

My favorite was back when the NRA TV really wanted to promote him as their face to the black community and the last interview went something like (paraphrasing Mikes own words)

Mike: Defending yourself is your right!

NRA: Right on my brotha, preach!

Mike: Especially black folks, should arm themselves to defend their communities from the police

NRA: That's right...WAIT WHAT?!

1 minute ago, AF89 said:

My favorite was back when the NRA TV really wanted to promote him as their face to the black community and the last interview went something like (paraphrasing Mikes own words)

Mike: Defending yourself is your right!

NRA: Right on my brotha, preach!

Mike: Especially black folks, should arm themselves to defend their communities from the police

NRA: That's right...WAIT WHAT?!

Lol I remember hearing about that. People don’t realize how much he does for blacks in general and the city that don’t live in the city or state or know who he is.