Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Hoopah!

The They Finally Got Her Thread

41 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

What would you have them do, specifically?

A good starting point is to demand more emergency checks and more money in them. Emergency checks are a fantastic idea, but these need to be much higher than $1200. 

In general: call any Trump bluff and raise him. Don't be "reasonable" and start your negotiations at the place you want to be. If I'm Nancy Pelosi, that means the government covering wages for every single worker in America so nobody is unemployed as a result of this. Call for higher corporate taxes to "pay" for the wages. Demand universal healthcare and everyone gets a free new car just for the **** of it.

1 minute ago, lostone said:

Btw y’all, my manscaped clippers finally shipped.  Can’t wait to trim down there!

Let me borrow them when you're done.

j/k

Seriously, what's the criteria for some threads being deleted? Not locked with an explanation, but simply deleted. If I don't know why one was deleted, how do I know what I'm allowed to post? And whose sensibilities do I need to appeal to?

29 minutes ago, Ignatius R said:

A good starting point is to demand more emergency checks and more money in them. Emergency checks are a fantastic idea, but these need to be much higher than $1200. 

In general: call any Trump bluff and raise him. Don't be "reasonable" and start your negotiations at the place you want to be. If I'm Nancy Pelosi, that means the government covering wages for every single worker in America so nobody is unemployed as a result of this. Call for higher corporate taxes to "pay" for the wages. Demand universal healthcare and everyone gets a free new car just for the **** of it.

So basically, hold up aid for millions of struggling Americans for weeks or even more than a month in order to push an unrealistic wish list that will never pass.

That’ll go over like s*** on a cold biscuit and put Dems in an even worse negotiating position.

4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

So basically, hold up aid for millions of struggling Americans for weeks or even more than a month in order to push an unrealistic wish list that will never pass.

That’ll go over like s*** on a cold biscuit and put Dems in an even worse negotiating position.

The point is to shift the conversation, not get everything on your wish list. Some tactful negotiators start out negotiations by dropping an unrealistic anchor. You have to have balls to do it though. 

This crisis will be with us for a while. Negotiating like this could delay aid for a few weeks, but I'd venture to say it's better in the long run to get a good deal that helps people out on an ongoing basis rather than pestering the opposition for an extra measly $200 in one emergency stimulus bill. (Democrats aren't even negotiating anything right now anyway.)

I thank the trump administration for allowing me to laugh in any GOP person’s face for the following when they bring anything up.  I’ll just be laughing uncontrollably.  

1 minute ago, Ignatius R said:

The point is to shift the conversation, not get everything on your wish list. Some tactful negotiators start out negotiations by dropping an unrealistic anchor. You have to have balls to do it though. 

This crisis will be with us for a while. Negotiating like this could delay aid for a few weeks, but I'd venture to say it's better in the long run to get a good deal that helps people out on an ongoing basis rather than pestering the opposition for an extra measly $200 in one emergency stimulus bill. (Democrats aren't even negotiating anything right now anyway.)

It’s wasn’t just the extra $200.  It was also canceling student loan payments for six months.  It was oversight of the corporate bailouts.  It was a lot of other provisions that wouldn’t have been in there except for the Dems.  

Your strategy would be a disaster because it would give the GOP the high ground to tell Americans that Dems are holding up their aid for silly and unrealistic stuff.  That public pressure would give the GOP more leverage and force Dems to make even more concessions.  I’m not arguing that the Dems have been great negotiators, but the answer is not to argue that Dems should be even worse negotiators because you want them to look “tough”.  

Democrats are negotiating right now, by the way.  They are demanding more stimulus checks.  You can say that $1200 isn’t enough, and I tend to agree. But at least they are fighting for that money and not giving in to GOP demands that the next legislation simply be more business bailouts.  

Oh, and here are a few other things they’re fighting for in the next legislation:

Pelosi’s 1,400-page bill would have broad implications for the financial sector. It would force lenders to grant a temporary reprieve from mortgage and car payments and credit card bills. It would order the Federal Reserve to provide loan servicers with liquidity to allow borrowers to stop paying their mortgages for up to 360 days. Public housing residents would get a temporary reprieve from paying rent, and student loan borrowers would have $10,000 of debt forgiven.

^^^That’s in addition to direct $1200 payments for Americans.

17 minutes ago, lostone said:

I thank the trump administration for allowing me to laugh in any GOP person’s face for the following when they bring anything up.  I’ll just be laughing uncontrollably.  

Let's just throw the myth that they embrace Judeo-Christian values on that bon fire. Choosing to ignore the danger of COVID-19 to old folks and black people in order to restart the economy is kind of the opposite of the lessons I learned when I read the Bible. To say the least about putting kids in cages. Christ said "Suffer the little children", not "make the little children suffer". I don't think God is punishing us, but it's clear He doesn't find us worth saving.

We used to have Democrats like FDR, who gave us Social Security, and LBJ, who gave us Medicare and Medicaid. Now, we have Democrats like Clinton, who gutted welfare, and Obama, who fined people for being too poor to buy health insurance from private corporations.

3 minutes ago, Football Tony said:

We used to have Democrats like FDR, who gave us Social Security, and LBJ, who gave us Medicare and Medicaid. Now, we have Democrats like Clinton, who gutted welfare, and Obama, who fined people for being too poor to buy health insurance from private corporations.

I assume you support Medicare for All? 

8 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I assume you support Medicare for All? 

I support everyone in America having publicly-funded health care. I support doing away with employer-sponsored coverage. I don't think it's necessary to completely abolish all private health insurance, though.

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

Seriously, what's the criteria for some threads being deleted? Not locked with an explanation, but simply deleted. If I don't know why one was deleted, how do I know what I'm allowed to post? And whose sensibilities do I need to appeal to?

I swear it's not some excuse we're using but once again this appears to be coming from the top. I saw a few reports and I would have had some issues with a few of the individual posts.

Both threads also had years and years worth of posts that weren't up to par with the new standards that have to be in place for ABF to survive. I'm not asking for everyone to be angels but we've got eyes on us. Folks who won't look into things like I would, and frankly why would they. Their ultimate goal isn't this little sub forum making it through, that's on us and we've been doing a really good job so far. It was just a little hiccup.