Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Hoopah!

The They Finally Got Her Thread

“Zoom Gone Wrong” hits the Supreme Court...

(CNN) Well, someone forgot to mute.

The Supreme Court was making history Wednesday afternoon, holding arguments over the phone because of Covid-19, when all of a sudden there was the distinct sound of a toilet flushing.

Across the country, the public that has never before this week been able to listen in real time to oral arguments held remotely was treated not only to deep questions related to the First Amendment and robocalls but also to someone's apparent bathroom break.

The errant flush from an unknown source comes as the justices, lawyers and the country are dealing with the new realities -- and hazards -- of conducting their business over teleconference lines.

12 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

They got $200 more on the relief checks and expanded unemployment, to name just two things.  And again, the GOP controls the Senate.  No amount of pushing or fighting by Dems is going to get all of their agenda into the bill.  

But what do you think they should have done, specifically, to get more help into those bills?

$200 more on a one time $1200 check while people can't work for months isn't gloating material. It qualifies as bare minimum. Expanded unemployment is nice, but millions of people either can't get it or haven't gotten it. I know people who were not laid off but had their hours reduced to zero. They can't get unemployment. Many states have (purposely designed) cumbersome processes to apply for and receive unemployment, which results in people not being able to get it. Not to mention the states that don't have enough money to cover everyone claiming unemployment benefits.

Mitch McConnell is a bigger problem than Pelosi or Schumer, don't get me wrong. And I understand they can only do so much in the House. Specifically, I think Americans need a recurring monthly check for the duration of the crisis and a solid plan for expanded testing across the country. Many other countries have done precisely that. What I really want to see is someone who is not afraid of pissing people off when needed, some competency to getting things done that need to be done. I was not a Harry Reid fan (probably because he was that type of person) but he had a quote from just before he retired that stuck with me: “We as public servants would be better off not worrying about everybody liking us, because it’s easy to be around here and get reelected and reelected and reelected and not take stands on much of anything.”

@Carter

$200 more on a one time $1200 check while people can't work for months isn't gloating material. It qualifies as bare minimum.

It’s more than they would have gotten under the GOP.  And they are fighting for more checks, by the way. 

Expanded unemployment is nice, but millions of people either can't get it or haven't gotten it. I know people who were not laid off but had their hours reduced to zero. They can't get unemployment. Many states have (purposely designed) cumbersome processes to apply for and receive unemployment, which results in people not being able to get it.

That has nothing to do with Congress, let alone the House Dems.  You think the unemployment application process would be like this if there was a Democratic governor in Florida?

Not to mention the states that don't have enough money to cover everyone claiming unemployment benefits.

That is something the Dems are fighting for in the next stimulus legislation, which is being held up because of their demands.

Mitch McConnell is a bigger problem than Pelosi or Schumer, don't get me wrong. And I understand they can only do so much in the House.

And that’s my point.  They have laid out many of the policies you support and are fighting for them.  But ultimately, they have to negotiate with the GOP.  So the problem isn’t House Dems, it’s the GOP opposition to the policies you favor.

Specifically, I think Americans need a recurring monthly check for the duration of the crisis and a solid plan for expanded testing across the country.

I agree about recurring monthly checks and Dems do support more of those checks.  In terms of expanded testing, the Dems are also fighting for extra money to expand testing capacity.  However, all Congress can do is appropriate the money and set some regulations on how it’s spent.  The President is in charge of developing and implementing a plan for testing, and so far his idiot son-in-law and their merry band of f*** ups are botching that part spectacularly.  Again, can’t blame the House Dems for failures of the executive branch.  

Dems are also fighting for oversight of the money given to corporations.  They got oversight into the last legislation.  But Trump fired the inspector general who would have overseen that and appointed one of his cronies, who looks like he’ll be approved by the GOP Senate.  It’s another example of the problem with being in control of only 1/3rd of the legislative process.

Many other countries have done precisely that. What I really want to see is someone who is not afraid of pissing people off when needed, some competency to getting things done that need to be done. I was not a Harry Reid fan (probably because he was that type of person) but he had a quote from just before he retired that stuck with me: “We as public servants would be better off not worrying about everybody liking us, because it’s easy to be around here and get reelected and reelected and reelected and not take stands on much of anything.”

I agree, but don’t see how that applies to the Democrats.  They have been criticizing and attacking Trump and the GOP over the handling of this thing.  Other than bring it to the public’s attention, what more can they do?

Remember that they wanted to have members of the Coronavirus Task Force testify before a House committee hearing.  Trump and the WH are blocking that testimony.  So now Dems have to issue a subpoena, hold them in contempt, and go to court to enforce the subpoena, which could take years.  That’s the reality of it.  And unfortunately, some of the GOP judges have ruled that executive officials don’t have to testify and/or that the courts cannot enforce those subpoenas.  So the only option left for Dems is to have the Sergeant at Arms arrest Fauci/Birx and hold them in the House “jail” or to impeach Trump a second time.  Neither are good options politically at this current moment.  

14 minutes ago, achilles return said:

it's like i physically cannot help myself

this is what star wars does to a man

I wore my “May the Force be with Y’all” t-shirt to my Monday (May 4th) class.  I feel no shame.

20 minutes ago, lostone said:

I shaved all the hair off my face...

I went from looking more like my old man to looking more like my mother... 

it’s been weird

Also haven’t seen my face in 20+ years without hair.  It’s kinda odd.  My wife is like “who is this”.

4 minutes ago, lostone said:

Also haven’t seen my face in 20+ years without hair.  It’s kinda odd.  My wife is like “who is this”.

Could be worse....my ex used to say that I looked like a serial killer when I shaved

Democrats coming up short on the stimulus is infuriating but predictable. They don't have any balls. Their electoral strategy has been based on watching Republicans **** up. 

Now would be a perfect time to be more proactive. This is the greatest crisis since the Great Depression. The normal rules don't apply. Promise **** and deliver on it, or pressure Republicans to explain why they want the average American hanging by a thread at best or impoverished and starving at worst. You could probably win some people over. The type of people that think you have no integrity and don't vote. 

59 minutes ago, Ignatius R said:

Democrats coming up short on the stimulus is infuriating but predictable. They don't have any balls. Their electoral strategy has been based on watching Republicans **** up. 

Now would be a perfect time to be more proactive. This is the greatest crisis since the Great Depression. The normal rules don't apply. Promise **** and deliver on it, or pressure Republicans to explain why they want the average American hanging by a thread at best or impoverished and starving at worst. You could probably win some people over. The type of people that think you have no integrity and don't vote. 

What would you have them do, specifically?