• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• WhenFalconsWin

• lostone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Heartless *******   

Posted Images

5 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I say very few because there's how many cops in the US? The bad ones are what, 5% of them? Maybe 10%?

Because of the way departments take on a homogenous culture, and because of the "blue code" as it's currently enforced, even if we have 10% bad cops...I'd argue we have a tiny fraction of that percentage as good cops.

Not that most police aren't good people, even. But there's a sickening culture of complacency and blue brotherhood. I consider cops good cops if they're willing to step up to their fellow officers or talk them down. Those cops are exceedingly rare, and they tend to be in clusters where a department has a culture of comaraderie by accountability. Watching out for the guy next to you by making sure you step in if they're messing up. That's rarer than you know. Plenty of cops are capable of it and just aren't trained on peer intervention.

Because of this, the 10% bad cops turns into a full on bad department since the bad cops never have to face true punishment. Worse yet, cops who do raise complaints are ostracized or even admonished by upper ranks. This lets the white supremacists and power trippers - and they do exist, though they are a minority - continue to abuse the system and their constituents. It's a sinister system.

When people talk about systemic racism in police forces, they don't mean all cops are racist (or at least, if they aren't generalizing and demonizing they don't). They mean racist policy and officers are allowed to exist and propogate with little to no consequence. And that's proven over time.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The Steely Dan Appreciation Thread