The Steely Dan Appreciation Thread

51 minutes ago, The Kingfish said:

Just received a call on my cell from a pollster who claimed she was polling for the presidential and congressional elections here in Georgia. I agreed to cooperate with her questions, and she started asking about my demographics.  After the first few questions she learned that I was white, male, and over 40.  She abruptly ended the call by saying that I didn't fit the demographic that she needed for her poll.

Is this what the media is relying on for their polls?  Biased pollsters?

there's not actually anything that weird about this, it's not unheard of. polling firms control for demographics for several reasons.

• Replies 63.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• WhenFalconsWin

• lostone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Posted Images

Just now, lostone said:

Anything to get dear leader elected.  Don’t expect much from the party of “I got mine”

Tucker Carlson has launched a campaign of intimidation and harassment against Brandy.  She's an outstanding reporter. Tucker is a sack of cat **** in a navy blazer.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

We need a support group for people who felt personally forced to vote for Biden. My wife has one of those big coffee pots, if someone can bring some cigarettes and oreos.

mh-watchmen-support-group-looking-glass-

I'll bring my wife.  She said she's okay with you guys doing to her what the republican party has done to this country.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:48 PM, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

The thing is, the mainstream media is pretty much garbage. 

fwiw after the 2016 election an AFMB member sent me a DM saying that he voted for Trump and that I was the only person he had told because of the social consequences. 

1 minute ago, eatcorn said:

Prep yourself for the 'If NPR doesn't cover Hunter Biden pizzagate they should be defunded, and also I'm going to start a white nationalist cult'.

I am glad I at least know the primary fear is from brown people/ non whites becoming the majority of America.  It gives me some solas

31 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

fwiw after the 2016 election an AFMB member sent me a DM saying that he voted for Trump and that I was the only person he had told because of the social consequences. 

I'm heartbroken for that person, truly. Can't imagine anyone dealing with such an unbelievable challenge in their life. 

19 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

My ex girlfriend I was seeing at that time straight up told me she could never tell anyone she was voting for Trump. She’s Hispanic, very religious. I would imagine she’s not voting this time but I really don’t know.

Trump in 2020 doesn’t have any of the factors in his favor that he had in 2016 though, aside from running against a pure establishment candidate that some people just won’t ever vote for. But to that end, Biden is generally less hated than Hillary and Trump has dumped his entire populism shtick which makes his antics fall flat with a lot of folks.

I think there are probably a lot of people who won’t admit they’re voting for Trump, but I also think that is going to be far fewer people in 2020. I mean I voted for him in 2016 and I voted early for Biden. 

The main purpose of the DM he sent was asking about why ABF at the time was revolving around Russiagate conspiracy theories, and in passing he mentioned having voted for Trump and such. He wasn’t seeking me out for confession or anything, just to be clear.

47 minutes ago, lostone said:

@achilles return on a serious note, have you found something else yet?

not yet. today is actually my final day. i'm going to take the rest of the month until the election to do some light studying and then ramp up hard after the election to take ccnp encor and recertify sometime near the end of november. i'll start applying once i feel refreshed enough on material, sometime in november.

i'm fortunate enough to not need to rush it because i've got some savings and i can also grab unemployment. i'll only start worrying if i don't find something by the end of january.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The Steely Dan Appreciation Thread