The Kraken has been released from her retainer agreement Thread

10 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

I'm not trying to start a land war in Asia, but I found this a little gross and didn't know where else to put it

The woman behind ‘Roe vs. Wade’ didn’t change her mind on abortion. She was paid

By MEREDITH BLAKESTAFF WRITER 

MAY 19, 2020

9 AM

When Norma McCorvey, the anonymous plaintiff in the landmark Roe vs. Wade case, came out against abortion in 1995, it stunned the world and represented a huge symbolic victory for abortion opponents: “Jane Roe” had gone to the other side. For the remainder of her life, McCorvey worked to overturn the law that bore her name.

But it was all a lie, McCorvey says in a documentary filmed in the months before her death in 2017, claiming she only did it because she was paid by antiabortion groups including Operation Rescue.

“I was the big fish. I think it was a mutual thing. I took their money and they’d put me out in front of the cameras and tell me what to say. That’s what I’d say,” she says in “AKA Jane Roe,” which premieres Friday on FX. “It was all an act. I did it well too. I am a good actress.”

In what she describes as a “deathbed confession,” a visibly ailing McCorvey restates her support for reproductive rights in colorful terms: “If a young woman wants to have an abortion, that’s no skin off my ***. That’s why they call it choice.”

Full article is here https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2020-05-19/roe-v-wade-jane-roe-norma-mccorvey-hulu-doc-abortion

Yeah, I just heard about that. 

Sad I say.

• Replies 62.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• WhenFalconsWin

• lostone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Heartless *******   

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, achilles return said:

they also gave us blue jeans, west coast hip hop, and basically the modern internet

And the Grateful Dead and CCR and Guns n ******* Roses (but also Motley Crue so...) and The Doors (not my cup of tea but whatever) and the Beach Boys and Green Day and the Byrds and Jefferson Airplane and Metallica and Rage Against the ******* Machine and Red Hot Chili Peppers and Van Halen and ... ugh ... the ******* Eagles, man, and Tool and Kendrick Lamar (I know he's covered above, but still) and Jane's Addiction and Faith No More and Weird Al ******* Yankovic and Etta James and  ...

and I grow tired of this game. Texas can mostly **** right off.

4 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

Yeah, strong preference for CA over TX over here. Just the incredible natural beauty is enough to sway it for me.

Been to both. Texas sucks. Cali is legit. Heading out in June for a long San Diego weekend.

Anyone who prefers Houston to San Diego, Dallas to LA, or Austin to San Fran has brain worms...

14 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

And the Grateful Dead and CCR and Guns n ******* Roses (but also Motley Crue so...) and The Doors (not my cup of tea but whatever) and the Beach Boys and Green Day and the Byrds and Jefferson Airplane and Metallica and Rage Against the ******* Machine and Red Hot Chili Peppers and Van Halen and ... ugh ... the ******* Eagles, man, and Tool and Kendrick Lamar (I know he's covered above, but still) and Jane's Addiction and Faith No More and Weird Al ******* Yankovic and Etta James and  ...

and I grow tired of this game. Texas can mostly **** right off.

ZZ Top is better than every band you named except Guns n Roses and MAYBE the Dead.

And even if they weren't (but they are), Miss Pearly Gates is the best guitar ever owned or played by any of them.

Central and east texas is not too bad.

The problem is that in a place like San Antonio which is actually pretty nice, is that you can drive for hours in nearly all directions and still be in plucking Texas.

I still prefer CA though....I love SD and Santa Cruz....I just wish that is was not so **** expensive.

7 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

I've only hung out in Austin. I had a ton of fun. Amazing tacos, super good BBQ, good bars, and great record stores. 

Austin is a cool place.

San Antonio is pretty good too....some of the best BBQ that I have ever had was in SA.

Katy even liked it and she really is not into bbq at all

Big Sur....Yosemite Valley...the entire CA coast...Baja...Napa....Sonoma. It's all pretty well glorious. I've spent a lot of time in CA, but the one that always stands out is when a friend and I drove from SF to LA on Hwy 5 to visit a friend for a couple of nights, and on the drive back to SF, we took the Pacific Coast Highway and spent the nights scrambling down to the coast to set up our backpacking tents to sleep on the beach. On the first morning I woke up with the ocean lapping at my tent. I got too drunk the night before and didn't consider the concept of tides.

On another trip, we spent three days in Napa drinking wine, three days in Sonoma drinking wine, and then six days in Yosemite. Also glorious.

Look, we haven't even mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughan yet.  Or Storyville.  Or Bob Wills or Robert Earl Keen or Guy Clark or Joe Ely or Clarence Gatemouth Brown or Jerry Jeff Walker.

And even there, I haven't yet mentioned T-Bone Walker or Albert Collins or Lightning Hopkins or Freddie King.

Y'all want to make me dip into the well and bring up the Old 97s or the Toadies so you young uns will recognize someone on those two lists not named Stevie Ray Vaughan?

L.A. had a great run in the 80s of some great bands and a whole lot of crap.  Texas music has much deeper, and stronger, roots.

And the food is still better.

I mean, if we're just casting aside that these are all totally subjective things: 

The food in TX is BBQ and Mexican. 

The food in CA is everything on the face of the Earth except for BBQ.

Maybe we've hit on something.

For bands? Hard to say. I don't keep up with where bands are from as much as I used to. I ingest so much music that it would be impossible for me to dig into every artist's bio. But I CAN tell you that I don't much care for the blues, so that's going to sway my opinion.

2 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

I mean, if we're just casting aside that these are all totally subjective things: 

The food in TX is BBQ and Mexican. 

The food in CA is everything on the face of the Earth except for BBQ.

Maybe we've hit on something.

For bands? Hard to say. I don't keep up with where bands are from as much as I used to. I ingest so much music that it would be impossible for me to dig into every artist's bio. But I CAN tell you that I don't much care for the blues, so that's going to sway my opinion.

Speaking of BBQ, Texas gave us Franklins.

And Hot Cheetos.  Which are less disgusting and more worthy of craving than they sound.

23 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

ZZ Top is better than every band you named except Guns n Roses and MAYBE the Dead.

And even if they weren't (but they are), Miss Pearly Gates is the best guitar ever owned or played by any of them.

i'd put like zz top in the lower middle of all those listed bands

like come on

zz top over rage against the machine? no way

Just now, achilles return said:

like come on

10 times out of 10.  I'm assuming you've heard pre-Eliminator ZZ Top?

1 minute ago, eatcorn said:

I have this thing where I have a hard time liking something, or being objective about it, if it's been deified too much, and Franklin's fits that bill.

I've never eaten there, but I will praise his name to the ends of the earth simply because my mother found his recipe for "Franklin beans," which is the best side dish I've ever had.

Basically, pulled pork stewed in with pinto beans with Texican spices.  It's ridiculous.  I could eat it in a bowl as a meal.

7 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Look, we haven't even mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughan yet.  Or Storyville.  Or Bob Wills or Robert Earl Keen or Guy Clark or Joe Ely or Clarence Gatemouth Brown or Jerry Jeff Walker.

And even there, I haven't yet mentioned T-Bone Walker or Albert Collins or Lightning Hopkins or Freddie King.

Y'all want to make me dip into the well and bring up the Old 97s or the Toadies so you young uns will recognize someone on those two lists not named Stevie Ray Vaughan?

L.A. had a great run in the 80s of some great bands and a whole lot of crap.  Texas music has much deeper, and stronger, roots.

And the food is still better.

Like, @achilles return simplified by just talking about West Coast rap, but you break out each artist there and holy ****. Maybe rap isn't your thing, which is fine (and by fine I mean despicable), but you can't just ignore NWA and each individual member (and yes, they each count individually as well ... I mean, Dr. ******* Dre and Ice Cube and Eazy and Wren ...****), Snoop, Kendrick, Too Short, Ice T, Boots Riley, Del (and naturally Deltron), the Pharcyde ... and I just gave up on the last list above, I could have kept going. Didn't even mention Merle Haggard for christ sake.

1 minute ago, achilles return said:

like come on

Yeah...every day and twice on Sunday. There is no boogie created by white people that can touch early ZZ Top. The stuff before their radio hits, before Frank Beard started playing drums like a robot and they remastered their entire catalog with annoying sheets of bad reverb, there was Rio Grande Mud. Tres Hombres. Tejas. Nearly untouchable from where I sit.

I'd say the same about AC/DC, too. A top 10 band for me, and that'd be true if they never released anything after Highway to ****. Back in Black annoys the **** out of me.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

ZZ Top and great tacos and tamales.

California gave us Harvey Weinstein and pizza with scallops and zucchini flowers.

mexican food in Texas and California are basically the same thing And not very good and ZZ Top is pretty good if you are into old man music or currently are an old man. Texas sucks. DFW is ok in short stints Houston stinks San Antonio is ok but even with all their supposed awesomeness they are incredibly way too hot. 

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The Kraken has been released from her retainer agreement Thread