• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• WhenFalconsWin

• lostone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Posted Images

1 minute ago, marla_mulder said:

Do y'all really not get tired of the theatrics of calling us fascists? I mean, if Trump was what yall said, you wouldn't be able to post it on a football forum.

I’ve intentionally stayed out of all this, but I want to point out that I’ve long opposed people using the word “fascist” against Republicans and even Trump.  Trump is unquestionably authoritarian.  He’s said so outright in his comments about the Chinese and NK presidents.  But he’s not fascist.

Qanon, on the other hand, is absolutely fascist and it’s becoming mainstream in the Republican Party.  

All of that is just a general statement, not aimed at anyone in particular, and now I’ll step out of this fight again.  

12 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

This is something that doesn’t get enough consideration, I think.  The public isn’t guided by process stuff, but in this case the voter suppression efforts are effectively undermining democracy.  

And the arguments supporting them (or trivializing them, more often) are so transparently weak and obnoxious to the point of being pathetic.

Let’s start with a simple statement that everybody should agree with — nobody should have to stand in line for eight hours because they live in an area that votes a certain way.  And nobody should get to vote in 15 minutes because they live in an area that votes a certain way.

Republicans manipulate polling places to intentionally create very long lines in Democratic-leaning areas.  In doing so, they hurt minorities and poor, urban residents.  

“Yeah, but if people want to vote then they’ll find a way.”

Horse ****.  Not everybody can afford to take off eight hours from work.  And even if it’s true that people SHOULD stick it out because voting is important, I go back to the original statement.  Nobody should have to stand in line for eight hours because they live in a Democratic-leaning area.  And those people who want to pass off bad-faith arguments like the one above should go stand in line for eight hours themselves while they watch others walk into and out of the polling place in minutes.  Because it’s the height of arrogance and privilege to waltz in and out of your polling place while poor people and minorities have to wait eight hours, and then ride around on a high horse lecturing about how people will suck it up if they want to vote bad enough.  

In my view, efforts at voter suppression alone should disqualify the entire GOP from governing or having power.  That alone should cause more people to vote against every one of them.

In 1959 they figured out how to strap someone to a rocket and shoot them to the moon and bring them back.

We live in a world where everyone carries around a super-computer in their pocket and have access to more information that anyone ever had in their life in seconds.

Anyone that thinks that people having to stand in line anything over 2 hours to vote, (and I'm being super generous), is not by design is probably also a believer in Qanon. They can/have figured out voting but this country doesn't want to implement any of it.

But people like living in the dark. If people knew how much money insurance companies and banks... not even Wall Street... actually made with their hard earned money... they'd never want to have insurance or put their money in a savings account again. I know because I supported the systems for the investment arm of an insurance company.

4 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

In 1959 they figured out how to strap someone to a rocket and shoot them to the moon and bring them back.

We live in a world where everyone carries around a super-computer in their pocket and have access to more information that anyone ever has in their life in seconds.

Anyone that thinks that people having to stand in line anything over 2 hours to vote, (and I'm being super generous), is not by design is probably also a believer in Qanon.

But people like living in the dark. If people knew how much money insurance companies and banks... not even Wall Street... actually made with their hard earned money... they'd never want to have insurance or put their money in a savings account again. I know because I supported the systems for the investment arm of an insurance company.

I think there are a lot of people who just blindly regurgitate the weak arguments from the Republicans and don’t think too much about it.  

Look at the other two largest democracies in the world, though.  You have India where they paid government workers to carry a voting booth 50-60 miles into a jungle, fighting off poisonous snakes and other dangerous animals, so that one person who lives there can vote.  Think about that...they carried a voting machine through a jungle so a single person can cast their vote.

Then you have Indonesia, where the government pays citizens to go around every single household (there are over 250 million people!) and register them to vote.  They have polling places that are walking distance for the overwhelming majority of residents.  

Neither of those countries are as wealthy as the United States.

It’s undeniable that long lines and other difficulties that we impose on citizens is an intentional manipulation of the election for partisan gain.  

Something I have never been able to get a self identifying conservative to discuss (and I don’t mean that as a shot or a gotcha, I genuinely want to hear their thoughts on it but they always shut down or divert to arguing) on the abortion issue is the cognitive dissonance between generally wanting government out of people’s personal lives but then wanting the government to enact strict punitive laws prohibiting personal freedom for women.

Generally I don’t agree with the practice of abortion, I think it is terrible, but it’s also morally a grey area. Is it wrong to kill an unborn child? Yes. Is it wrong to force a woman to carry and give birth to a child they don’t want or can’t support? Yes. I do support choice in this matter. And while I am against abortion in and of itself, I think the far better way to address it and prevent it from happening is by improving economic conditions.

7 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I’ve intentionally stayed out of all this, but I want to point out that I’ve long opposed people using the word “fascist” against Republicans and even Trump.  Trump is unquestionably authoritarian.  He’s said so outright in his comments about the Chinese and NK presidents.  But he’s not fascist.

Qanon, on the other hand, is absolutely fascist and it’s becoming mainstream in the Republican Party.  

All of that is just a general statement, not aimed at anyone in particular, and now I’ll step out of this fight again.  

and what exactly happens when qanon becomes mainstream republicanism trout

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Something I have never been able to get a self identifying conservative to discuss (and I don’t mean that as a shot or a gotcha, I genuinely want to hear their thoughts on it but they always shut down or divert to arguing) on the abortion issue is the cognitive dissonance between generally wanting government out of people’s personal lives but then wanting the government to enact strict punitive laws prohibiting personal freedom for women.

Generally I don’t agree with the practice of abortion, I think it is terrible, but it’s also morally a grey area. Is it wrong to kill an unborn child? Yes. Is it wrong to force a woman to carry and give birth to a child they don’t want or can’t support? Yes. I do support choice in this matter. And while I am against abortion in and of itself, I think the far better way to address it and prevent it from happening is by improving economic conditions.

I usually stay out of abortion discussions because i view them as largely unnecessary and centered around culture war and identity stuff.  The fact is that with better government policies promoting contraceptives and other efforts to prevent unplanned pregnancy, the entire abortion discussion would be moot.  Both sides generally want to reduce or eliminate abortions.  If there are no unwanted and unplanned pregnancies then there would be no abortions.  So all the “life at conception” and “not personhood” stuff is just so much noise that ignores efforts to solve the underlying problem.

2 minutes ago, achilles return said:

and what exactly happens when qanon becomes mainstream republicanism trout

Then the GOP would have adopted fascism as a governing ideology.  But not all illiberal or authoritarian leaders are fascist, which is why I make a hard distinction between Trump’s type of authoritarianism and actual fascism.  

12 minutes ago, marla_mulder said:

Do y'all really not get tired of the theatrics of calling us fascists? I mean, if Trump was what yall said, you wouldn't be able to post it on a football forum.

Trump goes out of his way to create divisiveness because it serves his interests when no criticism of him can escape the partisan bull****ting that always comes with it. He wouldn't ban a forum like this because his natural instinct would be to consider forums like this ultimately beneficial to him.

the other issue with “y’all aren’t in camps yet therefore trump is good” is that it misses how much of an incompetent idiot the president is

trust fund clown fascism may seem like a dumb joke, but they’re not exactly hiding where they want to take this country, and playing this game of semantics between illiberal “democracy” and outright fascism is just insane to me. it’s a distinction without a difference, or rather, just a matter of waiting for the first shots to be fired.

5 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Then the GOP would have adopted fascism as a governing ideology.  But not all illiberal or authoritarian leaders are fascist, which is why I make a hard distinction between Trump’s type of authoritarianism and actual fascism.  

the hard distinction between “incomplete” and “complete” status updates

3 hours ago, eatcorn said:

Took me all of 5 minutes at Agnes Scott this morning. Where you at?

About an hour south of you.

3 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Nevermind, I just got caught up.

Well I saw the original question and I'm still gonna answer. 90 minutes.

Really wasn't that bad and I have to say the poll workers had everything moving really well. Poll officer working the door for the social distancing policy told me it wouldn't have really mattered what time I came because it's been like that from opening to closing all week.

I saw where someone was asking about random people in the corners with Trump flags and if anybody else is seeing it earlier.

There's this one group of probably 5-10 folks who do that around here. The most ironic thing to me is they always space out something like 10-15 feet from each other and obviously outside....but they wear masks.

I mean we can get all tied up in what to call it....

But when the leader of a country has his own citizens  tear gassed so he can hold up a religious symbol in front of a place of worship to reinforce the appearance of being a strong leader who has deep ties to that religion.....well there's a mixture of far right wing things happening there that aren't going anywhere good. And me being able to criticize the current administration doesn't take anything away from it.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The Kraken has been released from her retainer agreement Thread