Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Hoopah!

The J*zzlaine Maxwell Arkancide Watch Thread

I don't know what it is about the older generation that makes them have no empathy for other people. By all measures, I should be fully in the "I pulled myself up by the bootstraps, you need to too" camp.

I'm an immigrant who was raised in a pretty poor household but got a full merit-based ride to a top 20 private institution, both college and grad school. I've climbed up the career ladder to make just under six figures at 30 and am big into investing in the stock market (made a couple thousand on options in the past few weeks). I'm invested in real estate as well and am looking to set up a business so I can stop this 9-5 **** (I hate working). I'm right around the age and professional milestones where a lot of conservatives claim I should be turning more conservative ("Wait til you start paying taxes").

Yet, I'd gladly sign up to have my taxes increased if it meant **** like free college and universal healthcare. It isn't even a question. Maybe it's because I see my friends and family crushed by student debt but I know that it really is an albatross around a lot of people's necks. For some reason older people just can't seem to grasp that and you end up with people arguing that the few billion dollars it'll cost aren't worth it while not blinking an eye at multi trillion dollar tax cuts and military budgets.

4 minutes ago, Vogelgryff said:

Should be your new screen name...

If I was going to go with an anime abridged name reference it's going to be <<ballsdeep69>>

6 minutes ago, bdog 29 said:

Yet, I'd gladly sign up to have my taxes increased if it meant **** like free college and universal healthcare. It isn't even a question. Maybe it's because I see my friends and family crushed by student debt but I know that it really is an albatross around a lot of people's necks. For some reason older people just can't seem to grasp that and you end up with people arguing that the few billion dollars it'll cost aren't worth it while not blinking an eye at multi trillion dollar tax cuts and military budgets.

Yeah, never understood how so many people see it otherwise. It's like they see it as a zero-sum game; if someone else's life improves, their's gets worse somehow.  

1 hour ago, achilles return said:

and i'm happy to consider means-tested cost subsidies for all. are you still going to suggest we can't 'afford' tuition-free post-secondary institutions?

You can't only consider tuition.  That is about half the cost to send my kids to college. 

22 minutes ago, bdog 29 said:

I don't know what it is about the older generation that makes them have no empathy for other people. By all measures, I should be fully in the "I pulled myself up by the bootstraps, you need to too" camp.

I'm an immigrant who was raised in a pretty poor household but got a full merit-based ride to a top 20 private institution, both college and grad school. I've climbed up the career ladder to make just under six figures at 30 and am big into investing in the stock market (made a couple thousand on options in the past few weeks). I'm invested in real estate as well and am looking to set up a business so I can stop this 9-5 **** (I hate working). I'm right around the age and professional milestones where a lot of conservatives claim I should be turning more conservative ("Wait til you start paying taxes").

So if you are doing so well,  why aren't you paying back your student loans as you said earlier. 

But wait now you say you had a full ride so what why do you have  students loans that you are not paying back?

2 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

So if you are doing so well,  why aren't you paying back your student loans as you said earlier. 

But wait now you say you had a full ride so what why do you have  students loans that you are not paying back?

You're talking to the wrong guy. This is my first post on the subject in the last few pages.

2 minutes ago, bdog 29 said:

You're talking to the wrong guy. This is my first post on the subject in the last few pages.

6 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

That’s me, and Bdog stated quite clearly he’s an immigrant.  I on the other hand want my 40 and a mule, so.………I ain’t paying ****.

To be completely honest, the best reason to support free tuition is so that our countries intellectual talent isn’t restricted by only what they can afford.  The lack of ability to get an education that matches a young adults capability has to be considered a failure  in a capitalist society.  How can upward mobility be possible for those most deserving if it’s dictated by what you can afford?  You support making our smartest poor kids draw straws for a chance at an elite education, why?  

Alright, yeah, I'm blocking the narcissist who's incapable of having any actual discussion. Finally. Gave her the benefit of the doubt for a while but she's clearly not interested in any good faith discussion. An educator making fun of someone for student loans when inflation has risen 2x in the last 30 years while college tuition has raised between 4-10x depending on the school in question...you can't pay your way through school as easily as you used to. My fiance was working 40-60 hour weeks and still has 30k in student loans. It defies logic. So there's no point trying to employ logic.

And before the yada yada about how I should have just worked a job and paid my way through school, I did work part time and used my GI Bill from when I was in the Navy. I'm lucky.

Something the narcissist, ironically, is so offended by...

4 hours ago, Football Tony said:

I wish it was possible to mute all posts containing content from The Lincoln Project.

You rise like a phoenix, returning to the board to **** post on Democrats from the left. But you can’t tolerate Republicans **** posting on Trump from the middle. 

20 minutes ago, MoeBiden said:

That’s me, and Bdog stated quite clearly he’s an immigrant.  I on the other hand want my 40 and a mule, so.………I ain’t paying ****.

To be completely honest, the best reason to support free tuition is so that our countries intellectual talent isn’t restricted by only what they can afford.  The lack of ability to get an education that matches a young adults capability has to be considered a failure  in a capitalist society.  How can upward mobility be possible for those most deserving if it’s dictated by what you can afford?  You support making our smartest poor kids draw straws for a chance at an elite education, why?  

And free education paid for by the government has worked out so well with k-12, you really think free college that is paid for by the government will be any better?

36 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

33 minutes ago, bdog 29 said:

21 minutes ago, MoeBiden said:

Gotta say, I’ve never seen “they all look the same” happen to two anonymous dudes on a message board before.