Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Hoopah!

The J*zzlaine Maxwell Arkancide Watch Thread

My student loans were in the six figures. Even after paying them for years, I still have a significant amount left. If you told me we would wipe out student debt, but only for people making less than me per year, I would vigorously support that policy. Literally, the cutoff could be one dollar below my salary and I’d support it.

9 minutes ago, Carter said:

When it’s clear as day that someone has absolutely zero intention to discuss anything in good faith I’m really not sure why y’all bother to make points and argue them. Sure let’s make this thread unbearable all day long, ring up 10+ pages of utterly useless nonsense back n forth en route to the thread being closed and mods sticking their neck out a little bit more to avoid closing ABF altogether.

If you can’t deal with it like an adult use the ******* ignore feature. Grown *** people squabbling on a message board about which 70 year old acehole is creepier. WTH man it’s Friday get out of here lmao

i think there is a benefit to calling someone's bluff on this stuff because it shows the greater audience how vapid and shallow the underlying ideas are. like if all you see is one side being dismantled over and over, that probably has an effect on how seriously you take those ideas in the future.

1 minute ago, Boner said:

I don't have any student loan debt.  I still support my tax dollars going towards student debt relief.  It's awesome not basing your worldview around "what's in it for me?".

Same. Just imagine what kind of innovation and economic prosperity we could enjoy if every potential Einstein could go to college without having crippling debt post-education.

Just now, The Monarch said:

My student loans were in the six figures. Even after paying them for years, I still have a significant amount left. If you told me we would wipe out student debt, but only for people making less than me per year, I would vigorously support that policy. Literally, the cutoff could be one dollar below my salary and I’d support it.

Same.  I'll keep paying two mortgages with only one house to show for it, it's what I signed up for.  But I'd love for both daughters to not have to do that, because my 16 year old is absolutely going to have to take them out as things are going, she still wants to go to medical school and be a pathologist.  It breaks my heart to think she'll have to deal with what I deal with on loans.

Just now, eatcorn said:

Same. Just imagine what kind of innovation and economic prosperity we could enjoy if every potential Einstein could go to college without having crippling debt post-education.

I'd support the **** out of the economy if I didn't have mine. 

13 minutes ago, Carter said:

When it’s clear as day that someone has absolutely zero intention to discuss anything in good faith I’m really not sure why y’all bother to make points and argue them. Sure let’s make this thread unbearable all day long, ring up 10+ pages of utterly useless nonsense back n forth en route to the thread being closed and mods sticking their neck out a little bit more to avoid closing ABF altogether.

That really is the beginning and end of it. I mean if a person shows you who they really are believe them the first time, the second time, and the third time. It's a pointless endeavor and once again I'm as guilty as anybody. It's always gonna end in the same place though.

2 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

I think selfish, unprincipled people assume everyone else to be selfish and unprincipled. 

1 minute ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Ok, I am glad you gave a one part answer. 

So let’s ask this. Since you already pay taxes, wouldn’t it be beneficial for your family if you either had free tuition or at least reduced?

They earned the reduced cost thru their scholarships.

There is no possible way this country could pay for everyone to go to college when it costs about 40k per year. Think about the cost for us tax payers. 

Yeah in lalla land it would be great, but it costs too much per student to even think about it.

And what do you think universities are going to do when they know the government is giving everyone a free education? Prices will go up sky high!

4 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

This black man ain't paying ****.  I'll go cash gang for the rest of my life before I fork over a dime towards my student loans.

1 minute ago, Jdrizzle said:

That really is the beginning and end of it. I mean if a person shows you who they really are believe them the first time, the second time, and the third time. It's a pointless endeavor and once again I'm as guilty as anybody. It's always gonna end in the same place though.

I think it's beneficial for some folks to see in stark clarity that there are people like this in our world. It's informative for me in some weird way.

Just now, eatcorn said:

I always find the 'how will we pay for it' argument to be astoundingly disingenuous when it comes from people who support dropping $3T into the stock market every few years so that rich people can get richer.

Not to mention that absurdity we call a defense budget.

2 minutes ago, MoeBiden said:

This black man ain't paying ****.  I'll go cash gang for the rest of my life before I fork over a dime towards my student loans.

Or you can follow his game plan, just default on your loan and make interest rates go up on everyone else.

Awesome! 

1 minute ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Or you can follow his game plan, just default on your loan and make interest rates go up on everyone else.

Awesome! 

Tell everyone else I’m sorry.  Should have voted for bernie

19 minutes ago, lostone said:

I am fine paying for other people’s college.  Pretty sure I am raked over the coals more than her when it comes to paying taxes.  

GOP is very self absorbed, I blame the prosperity gospel (as I say almost daily)

*virtual HI-FIVE*

Thank you! That's exactly it. These are the same people who believe that they don't have to wear masks because God has them protected. Well, they forget that Satan is at work, too.

14 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

So how do we pay for everyone's college education? 

very easily. and it would cost us less than the current administration's recent bump in military spending. we could have literally just not done that and had tuition-free college. make no mistake, this isn't a question of what's possible at all, merely one of political priorities. you should ask yourself why it's so difficult to make headway on this subject - ask yourself why you're so reflexively against the idea, and then ask yourself why you've never heard these kinds of conversations about defense spending.

Since all college will be paid for, you do know it will be for EVERYONE, even the top earners in the country. 

yes. universality is the point. most of the top-earners will be sending their kids to private institutions, though, but if they want to send their kids to public universities, great. we'll more than re-coup the cost from progressive income taxes. it's a non-issue. 

We already have a program, FISA, for those you are lower wage earners to get money for college, are you saying only certain people will get free college?

no. it would be universal.

What if a kid wants to go out of state, should the government pay for the difference too?

does an out-of-state student really cost universities four times more to teach, or are do you think there other reasons for the price difference? if there are actual at-cost differences, then sure, they should be accounted for. 

What about master's degree programs, law school, medical school, are those going to be paid for too?

yes

35 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Everyone, cool it on the personal insults. 

How about we just agree that Biden and Trump are both pretty creepy dudes...and leave it at that. Lol

Agreed. I 'll switch to Trump is killing us by the thousands a week and ignoring it.

8 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

They earned the reduced cost thru their scholarships.

There is no possible way this country could pay for everyone to go to college when it costs about 40k per year. Think about the cost for us tax payers. 

Yeah in lalla land it would be great, but it costs too much per student to even think about it.

And what do you think universities are going to do when they know the government is giving everyone a free education? Prices will go up sky high!

In 2018, the QS World University Rankings placed ETH Zurich at 7th overall in the world.

Tuition fees

The following tuition and semester fees are charged, in accordance with the Fee Ordinance of the ETH Domain (Swiss and non-Swiss students alike):

Tuition fee: CHF 660 ($700) per semester*

The tuition fee covers the enrollment in all courses. It is payable for each regular semester and for the semester in which the Master’s thesis is written.