The Joe Biden Presidency Thread

Mr. Hoopah!

1 hour ago, Carter said:

He’s genuinely just a troll who feels like he wins anytime someone responds to him. Constantly brags about himself and he ignores whatever point you try to make to him or says Obama was worse. He and Big Dog have a bromance going on. Most people who post in here actually seem to have him blocked at this point.

To me he's that annoying kid everyone knows where you're trying to talk to someone and its yelling out random words trying to get attention because it never gets it at home. 

It needs looked at and noticed so it can feel good for once. 

1 hour ago, AF89 said:

Weird story but I actually have a ancestor from Main (on my grandmother's side) who was a blockade runner for the Confederacy.  He got caught and they forced him to put on blue and go out west to harass indians.

I wrote a paper about US civil war vets harassing Indians in college. My professor called it “an outstanding piece of revisionist history,” which pissed me off because I was too ignorant at the time to understand it was a very high compliment. I took it in the colloquial “this is all bull****” sense, but she was sincere and meant it in the “you told a side of history most people have forgotten” sense. 

1 hour ago, Leon Troutsky said:

For whatever it’s worth, two of my gay friends have for over eight years been telling me they believe Lindsey Graham is gay and how badly they wanted somebody to out him.  

We don't ****in want Graham, dude can kick rocks. Seen way too much BS resulting from him and the rest of the archaic GOP appealing to hate-boner constituents.

55 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Huh, seems like a lot of conservative talking points are falling by the wayside lately...

Roger can take a slow bus to Hades. He's had literally dozens of chances to say this and now is shifting because the wind is blowing a different direction. I have the same reaction to him that I have to President Plump and Tom Perez, which is to change the channel when they are on TV.

2 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Roger can take a slow bus to Hades. He's had literally dozens of chances to say this and now is shifting because the wind is blowing a different direction. I have the same reaction to him that I have to President Plump and Tom Perez, which is to change the channel when they are on TV.

He's a wishwash blowhard. I'm looking forward to Trump's meltdown nonetheless.

Esper knows he’s on his way out the door...

The Pentagon has told National Guardsmen deployed to the nation’s capital not to use firearms or ammunition, and has issued orders to send home active-duty troops that the Trump administration amassed outside the city in recent days, a sign of de-escalation in the federal response to protests in the city.

Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper made the decision to disarm the guard without consulting the White House, after President Trump ordered a militarized show of force on the streets of Washington to quell demonstrations that were punctured by an episode of looting Sunday, two senior administration officials said. Trump had encouraged the National Guard to be armed.

Initially, a small group of guardsmen deployed in the city had been carrying guns while standing outside monuments, but the bulk of the forces, such as those working with federal park police at Lafayette Square in front of the White House, didn’t carry firearms out of caution. Now, all of the roughly 5,000 guardsmen deployed to Washington from the District of Columbia and 11 states have been told not to use weapons or ammunition.

4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Esper knows he’s on his way out the door...

The Pentagon has told National Guardsmen deployed to the nation’s capital not to use firearms or ammunition, and has issued orders to send home active-duty troops that the Trump administration amassed outside the city in recent days, a sign of de-escalation in the federal response to protests in the city.

Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper made the decision to disarm the guard without consulting the White House, after President Trump ordered a militarized show of force on the streets of Washington to quell demonstrations that were punctured by an episode of looting Sunday, two senior administration officials said. Trump had encouraged the National Guard to be armed.

Initially, a small group of guardsmen deployed in the city had been carrying guns while standing outside monuments, but the bulk of the forces, such as those working with federal park police at Lafayette Square in front of the White House, didn’t carry firearms out of caution. Now, all of the roughly 5,000 guardsmen deployed to Washington from the District of Columbia and 11 states have been told not to use weapons or ammunition.

Whew boy.......Trump is gonna lose it for real. This and Goodell in the same day?

28 minutes ago, AF89 said:

That he was president of LSU is one of my go to weird facts

If you haven’t read his letter to the Atlanta City Council, stop what you’re doing and look it up. It is amazing. It’s worth your time for this passage alone:

You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our Country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to Secure Peace. But you cannot have Peace and a Division of our Country. If the United States submits to a Division now it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is Eternal War. The United States does and must assert its authority, wherever it once had power; for, if it relaxes one bit to pressure, it is gone, and I believe that such is the National Feeling. This Feeling assumes various shapes, but always comes back to that of Union. Once admit the Union, once more acknowledge the Authority of the National Government, and, instead of devoting your houses and streets and roads to the dread uses of war, I and this army become at once your protectors and supporters, shielding you from danger, let it come from what quarter it may. I know that a few individuals cannot resist a torrent of error and passion, such as swept the South into rebellion, but you can point out, so that we may know those who desire a government, and those who insist on war and its desolation.”

5 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Something else to consider about the jobs report is that, at least my understanding of it, it’s a measure of net job gain/loss.  That means way more than 2.5 million people returned to work.  

I’m making up these numbers, but I think they’re fairly close based on the unemployment application data.  If 10 million people lost their jobs but 12.5 million people went back to work, then the jobs report would be 2.5 million (“new jobs added”).  

So the news is actually a little better in one sense — a lot more than 2.5 million people went back to work.  The bad news is that a lot of people also continued filing unemployment claims.  In normal times, this wouldn’t matter.  But we’re talking tens of millions of people both returning to work and also losing their jobs simultaneously, though again a net job gain on this magnitude is obviously good.

10% of those we came back to work were Dentist office workers. who everyone knew was coming back after they got their PPE. Cannot expect that every month, plus 300k people's jobs went from temporary layoffs to permanent layoffs.