Jump to content

The Joe Biden Presidency Thread


Mr. Hoopah!
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Can't we just celebrate this great news about the economy bouncing back?

I am not to argue with you anymore about what I saw and what the police said they saw. These are the police who came out and said they were wrong about the tear gas not about them throwing items, remember?

Honestly, I am just happy to see that 2.5 million people were back to work and  supporting their families last month!

I'm happy about that too but I wouldn't use the term 'bouncing back.'

'starting to recover' would be more accurate IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Right, the Park Police originally lied about what happened, then had to clarify it was pepper bullets, and then “clarified” about the tear gas denial.  Yet you still somehow believe them over journalists and the video itself.  That’s the problem. 

And you realize that while the economic news is unexpectedly good, that unemployment is still much higher than it was during the Great Recession, right?   Tell those tens of millions of people still out of work that things are great.  Don’t think that’s a message they want to hear right now.

40 million jobs lost

Let's throw a party for 2.5 million!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Right, the Park Police originally lied about what happened, then had to clarify it was pepper bullets, and then “clarified” about the tear gas denial.  Yet you still somehow believe them over journalists and the video itself.  That’s the problem. 

And you realize that while the economic news is unexpectedly good, that unemployment is still much higher than it was during the Great Recession, right?   Tell those tens of millions of people still out of work that things are great.  Don’t think that’s a message they want to hear right now.

Well, considering that most economists predicted that it was going to be as high as 20%, yea I think we are moving in the right directions.

I knew you wouldn't like the good news because it is not good for Biden. If the economy starts to rebound at a fast rate that will not be good for his election chances. 

I will celebrate the economy moving in the right direction, it would be foolish to think that in one month it could recover completely!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AF89 said:

The truly snarky thing to do would be to pull up the dozens of Trump tweets where he sh*ts on Obamas positive unemployment numbers as fake indicators...if one were so inclined

Crossed my mind.

Every single bit of anyone positive under Obama was torn down and lied about by people like Trump.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Well, considering that most economists predicted that it was going to be as high as 20%, yea I think we are moving in the right directions.

I knew you wouldn't like the good news because it is not good for Biden. If the economy starts to rebound at a fast rate that will not be good for his election chances. 

I will celebrate the economy moving in the right direction, it would be foolish to think that in one month it could recover completely!

:lol:

I literally said that this is good news, and good news for Trump, earlier this morning when I was the first person to post these numbers.  Guess you missed that post.

And again, try telling tens of millions of people who are about to face eviction that things are great.  Not sure they want to hear that right now.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Crossed my mind.

Every single bit of anyone positive under Obama was torn down and lied about by people like Trump.

 

Tbf those numbers could absolutely be misleading as they would do things like striking your number off the unemployment total if you were unemployed too long (basically what happened to my father who was fired by the state a year after waking up from a coma back in 2014ish and hasn't been able to find work since due to poor health.)

 

But in typical Trump fashion that doesn't matter once he's president

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Well, considering that most economists predicted that it was going to be as high as 20%, yea I think we are moving in the right directions.

I knew you wouldn't like the good news because it is not good for Biden. If the economy starts to rebound at a fast rate that will not be good for his election chances. 

I will celebrate the economy moving in the right direction, it would be foolish to think that in one month it could recover completely!

This may surprise you, but I agree.  We haven't had much good news lately.  This is truly a great day for George Floyd.  He is probably smiling in heaven while reading the jobs report.  I couldn't be more proud of myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jpizzle said:

That was actually going to be my next point. The rioting and looting that is happening is not going to be a permanent fixture in American life. It will come and it will go.

 

The broken justice system from the top to the bottom is a permanent fixture in American life and it affects different groups of Americans disproportionately. Specifically people of color and poor people. So yes I definitely do not want people breaking into stores and burning **** down but I'm not going to let that distract me from why and how we got here and the current repetitive abuses that are happening.

I’ll just say again, you don’t have to. It isn’t an either/or thing. One is far more important than the other, but we can still address both. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also the way everything else has gone to date....is anyone really not expecting them to come out in a week and say "well we know what we said about those numbers buuuuut...our bad"

 

Like really

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AF89 said:

Tbf those numbers could absolutely be misleading as they would do things like striking your number off the unemployment total if you were unemployed too long (basically what happened to my father who was fired by the state a year after waking up from a coma back in 2014ish and hasn't been able to find work since due to poor health.)

 

But in typical Trump fashion that doesn't matter once he's president

No doubt.

That is certainly part of it.

I would be curious to see the breakdown of the jobs "created".

One of the (sometimes valid) criticism's of the job growth under Obama was that the jobs were not super high paying and that people were still considered under employed.

I would be interested to see how many of the 2.5 million were relatively low paying jobs at places like grocery stores who have been on hiring blitzes.

But Trump even said the were numbers were fake before but real now he promises

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

No doubt.

That is certainly part of it.

I would be curious to see the breakdown of the jobs "created".

One of the (sometimes valid) criticism's of the job growth under Obama was that the jobs were not super high paying and that people were still considered under employed.

I would be interested to see how many of the 2.5 million were relatively low paying jobs at places like grocery stores who have been on hiring blitzes.

But Trump even said the were numbers were fake before but real now he promises

A closer look at where those jobs gains occurred is telling. Over half (1.4 million) were in restaurants. Nearly 20 percent of the job gains came from construction. About 15 percent of the growth came from retail stores, and about 10 percent came from dental offices. Restaurants and retail were heavy beneficiaries of the PPP. On top of that, construction homes and commercial properties was deemed essential in many states, and projects ramped up as the weather improved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JDaveG said:

I’ll just say again, you don’t have to. It isn’t an either/or thing. One is far more important than the other, but we can still address both. 

I would guess it's just a reflexive defensive mechanism on some of our parts, from sources trying to make this about the riots and not about why they're rioting. (And in all honesty that's exactly what the GOP is trying to do)

 

Like we've literally rewritten history so that it seems like most people believe civil rights era protests were never violent or attracted looting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless there is documented evidence that the numbers have been fabricated, I see no reason to question them.  The U6 numbers are a better indicator, but that has always been true for every administration.  If somebody has some credible sources that investigated it and found discrepancies between how they calculated the numbers recently versus the past then I’m all ears.  Until then, I do tend to trust the BLS and BEA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Unless there is documented evidence that the numbers have been fabricated, I see no reason to question them.  The U6 numbers are a better indicator, but that has always been true for every administration.  If somebody has some credible sources that investigated it and found discrepancies between how they calculated the numbers recently versus the past then I’m all ears.  Until then, I do tend to trust the BLS and BEA.

I do remember Obama trumpeting the same cooked numbers during his "recovery" and Republicans crying about them not being accurate. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...