The Joe Biden Presidency Thread

Mr. Hoopah!

8 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I mean, the jobs report did blow away all expectations and is really good news.  But the 13% of the public that’s still unemployed doesn’t want to hear a bunch of happy talk, so he can’t go full celebration mode like he’s doing here.  And yeah, the George Floyd reference is disgusting.

So I wanted to wait until I had a minute or two to respond to @Return of the Gaucho. You said as much but without knowing the context of the Hong Kong and Iranian protesters comments I can get your perspective there. But for the most part those were tongue in cheek comments pointing out what a lot of us believe to be rank hypocrisy from some of our more conservative friends down here. I would never compare what is happening and has happened to Iranian and Hong Kong protesters to what's going on now as a direct comparison. Because rankly based off of what I see Americans would have broke long before those people did and it would be a dishonor to them.

Moving onto the only pointing out one side of the violence and only focusing on the officers actions part of your response. I mean you aren't necessarily wrong but the repeated police brutality at protests about police brutality and systemic racism especially considering the outside factors of rhetoric like "You have to dominate them", "You have to dominate the battle space" being thrown around , and then the military rolling in and what appears to be the forceful dispersal of a crowd with "pepper balls" so the president can get a pretty picture...I mean. And I don't pretend to be unbiased here. I have a clear bias and it lies with the citizens protesting.

6 minutes ago, AF89 said:

For comparisons sake I watched live on cable news two nights in a row LA have a similar zero tolerance policy for curfew and instead of cavalry charging in on the minute,  people there specifically for the purposes of civil disobedience (and want to be arrested) were just calmly rounded up. Journalists were calmly asked to step aside.

Right.  We see what works in terms of effective policing.  And it’s not the “crack their skulls and kick ***” pseudo-military mentality.  It just requires some common sense and understanding by the police and a view of protesters as citizens expressing their views and not enemies let alone “terrorists”.

2 minutes ago, Jpizzle said:

So I wanted to wait until I had a minute or two to respond to @Return of the Gaucho. You said as much but without knowing the context of the Hong Kong and Iranian protesters comments I can get your perspective there. But for the most part those were tongue in cheek comments pointing out what a lot of us believe to be rank hypocrisy from some of our more conservative friends down here. I would never compare what is happening and has happened to Iranian and Hong Kong protesters to what's going on now as a direct comparison. Because rankly based off of what I see Americans would have broke long before those people did and it would be a dishonor to them.

Moving onto the only pointing out one side of the violence and only focusing on the officers actions part of your response. I mean you aren't necessarily wrong but the repeated police brutality at protests about police brutality and systemic racism especially considering the outside factors of rhetoric like "You have to dominate them", "You have to dominate the battle space" being thrown around , and then the military rolling in and what appears to be the forceful dispersal of a crowd with "pepper balls" so the president can get a pretty picture...I mean. And I don't pretend to be unbiased here. I have a clear bias and it lies with the citizens protesting.

Just to nitpick here, it’s not “appears to be the forceful dispersal”.  The videos make clear that is what happened.  One cop busted a guy’s head open with the side of his shield and another one straight up viking stabbed a journalist with his shield and then tried to snatch the guy’s camera.  I view it as the quintessential case of excessive force by the police...just for a shameless photo op.

2 minutes ago, Jpizzle said:

If I can tack on my own soap box I'm always going to hold those with the legal authority for coercive violence organized as a rock solid institution to a much stricter standard than a semi organized crowd of American citizens.

Looting isn’t good, but I’m far more concerned that the streets of our major cities look like the streets of Iraq, not only due to violence but literally because the streets, in DC at least, are now full of actual US Army soldiers, tanks, and Humvees. Our military leaders are tweeting cryptic messages signaling that soldiers don’t need to murder US citizens if our thicc wet commander in Chief tries to order them to do so. 

We’re facing an honest to God Constitutional Crisis. @Red&Black can make all the snarky word salad posts he wants about it, but it’s happening before our eyes.  

1 minute ago, AF89 said:

If I can tack on my own soap box I'm always going to hold those with the legal authority for coercive violence organized as a rock solid institution to a much stricter standard than a semi organized crowd of American citizens.

That was actually going to be my next point. The rioting and looting that is happening is not going to be a permanent fixture in American life. It will come and it will go.

The broken justice system from the top to the bottom is a permanent fixture in American life and it affects different groups of Americans disproportionately. Specifically people of color and poor people. So yes I definitely do not want people breaking into stores and burning **** down but I'm not going to let that distract me from why and how we got here and the current repetitive abuses that are happening.

15 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I don’t think anyone truly appreciates that the Tom Cotton presidency is going to make Trump’s two terms look like a Nick Jr cartoon. 

Tom Cotton is a Harvard-educated lawyer and a war hero. And he’s a ******* psychopath that’s going to engage in brutality during his two terms as president that Trump could have never dreamed of.

12 minutes ago, Vogelgryff said:

People with twisted moral compass... :angry:

It's noticeably much easier imo for crowds to police themselves when their not being tear gassed and shield bashed from the other side.

I think just about every single one of these video where we see the protestors hand over the guy that's just there for chaos tourism is usually cause they weren't simultaneously being shout at with rubber bullets. Here in Atlanta and DC we've gotten to the point where protestors who want to step out of line are boo'd and immediately singled out and that's largely possible when 90% of the crowd isn't actively agitated.

4 minutes ago, AF89 said:

It's noticeably much easier imo for crowds to police themselves when their not being tear gassed and shield bashed from the other side.

I think just about every single one of these video where we see the protestors hand over the guy that's just there for chaos tourism is usually cause they weren't simultaneously being shout at with rubber bullets. Here in Atlanta and DC we've gotten to the point where protestors who want to step out of line are boo'd and immediately singled out and that's largely possible when 90% of the crowd isn't actively agitated.

4 hours ago, achilles return said:

whatever “looting” is happening basically doesn’t matter at all relative to the amount of systemic police violence. anyone that cares about looting is either lying or has a twisted moral compass that puts inanimate objects and property over the lives of human beings

:argh:

4 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Tom Cotton is a Harvard-educated lawyer and a war hero. And he’s a ******* psychopath that’s going to engage in brutality during his two terms as president that Trump could have never dreamed of.

It's terrifying and it genuinely seems like the most likely scenario starting in 2025.

6 minutes ago, Serge said:

It's terrifying and it genuinely seems like the most likely scenario starting in 2025.

3 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I have been sounding the alarms on Tom Cotton as Trumpism 2.0 for months. If Dems don't get serious about structural changes to solve our problems, they will lose in 2024 to Cotton.