The Joe Biden Presidency Thread

Mr. Hoopah!

9 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

There is some cause and effect there though.  Heavier-handed policing was required to quell the riots and looting.  It also, quite naturally, results in more police abuse (since you are shifting from a "crowd control" scenario to essentially a battleground scenario).

That's not to defend heavy-handed policing.  It is to say it is entirely expected after what we saw last weekend.

I think what frustrates me the most this week by far is watching New York PD continually brutally crackdown on curfew violaters and whoever just happens to be in the way including bystanders and journalists. I absolutely get the sense that there is little appetite amongst it's leadership to meet the protestors in the middle (in most cases, there was a good video of dialogue in Brooklyn yesterday) to the point that I've actually flipped and would rather just see the national guard step in.

We had a cop in the first Level 2 class I took, and our protocol is if you are clearing a room, you hold the gun in the hand opposite the shoulder you have to the wall.  So if you are on the right side of a doorway moving left, you hold the gun in your left hand.  If you are on the left side moving right, you hold it in your right hand.  The reason is, it makes it easier to clear the room, and you can see the bad guy before they can see you.

This cop's department protocol was you always hold the gun in your strong hand, regardless.  He was allowed to do that for the duration of the class.  But his department protocol is stupid.  Shooting a gun is a motor skill.  You can learn marksmanship with either hand.  What you can't learn is how to pie a corner properly holding the gun in the wrong hand without increasing your risk of being shot.

That's just one example among a whole bunch of examples.

Just now, AF89 said:

I think what frustrates me the most this week by far is watching New York PD continually brutally crackdown on curfew violaters and whoever just happens to be in the way including bystanders and journalists. I absolutely get the sense that there is little appetite amongst it's leadership to meet the protestors in the middle (in most cases there was a good video of dialogue in Brooklyn yesterday) to the point that I've actually flipped and would rather just see the national guard step in.

In New York, yeah.  But in Atlanta last night I saw video of the police negotiating with the protesters after curfew and then very peacefully and in a restrained manner move the perimeter and disperse the crowd.  No tear gas, no pepper spray, no batons.  They didn’t even use their shields.  I think it all depends on how well the police are handling the situation.

2 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

In New York, yeah.  But in Atlanta last night I saw video of the police negotiating with the protesters after curfew and then very peacefully and in a restrained manner move the perimeter and disperse the crowd.  No tear gas, no pepper spray, no batons.  They didn’t even use their shields.  I think it all depends on how well the police are handling the situation.

Well yeah Atlanta has been great all week. Wouldn't be surprised if the curfew was lifted soon if it hasn't been already and I just missed it.

New York and maybe Philly seem like the only problem children this late into the week. 

Just now, AF89 said:

Well yeah Atlanta has been great all week. Wouldn't be surprised if the curfew was lifted soon if it hasn't been already and I just missed i.t

It actually got moved up to 8:00p instead of 9:00p now. Not gone just yet.

If we’re going to give cops more money before we give everyone healthcare and forgive my student loans then there needs to be oversight to make sure they don’t just more by military equipment and maybe also develop some kind of Voight Kampff test for officers to weed out Qanon and white supremacists. 

Just now, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Like, the 75 year old man in Buffalo wasn’t looting, but they broke his ******* head anyways. 

Granted, there are thousands and thousands of other similarly related instances, but that video captures the thinking of "good cops not holding bad cops accountable makes them equally as culpable" perfectly. One officer sees this old man lying on the ground, bleeding from the head, bends down to potentially help, and gets pulled back. Instead of saying "**** no, this guy is seriously injured--we need to help", that mother ****** just keeps trucking along. 

If you don't speak out against injustices, you are just as ******* bad as the ones that commit it.

For comparisons sake I watched live on cable news two nights in a row LA have a similar zero tolerance policy for curfew and instead of cavalry charging in on the minute,  people there specifically for the purposes of civil disobedience (and want to be arrested) were just calmly rounded up. Journalists were calmly asked to step aside.