The Joe Biden Presidency Thread

Mr. Hoopah!

Just now, ATLBrave said:

Where's the ironic part in all of that? 

Some Dems says you don't need guns the police are there to protect you and then say the Cops are evil and should be dismantled.

Why would you want to trust the protection of your family and property to Cops when you don't even know who the bad ones are.

1 minute ago, Brehus said:

Some Dems says you don't need guns the police are there to protect you and then say the Cops are evil and should be dismantled.

Why would you want to trust the protection of your family and property to Cops when you don't even know who the bad ones are.

i've never heard anyone left of center say “the police are here to protect you” 

and I’ve heard a whole lot of gun control proponents support disarming the police as a necessary component of reducing the amount of guns in society

2 minutes ago, achilles return said:

and I’ve heard a whole lot of gun control proponents support disarming the police as a necessary component of reducing the amount of guns in society

7 minutes ago, Brehus said:

In a civilized society a policing force is a necessity if not there's chaos.

If people were left to fend for themselves the world would look much different to say the least.

If the military is in charge... let's not forget that the military are trained killers. Very bad idea. When the military is an occupying force civilian people die.

While what we have now isn't perfect it's a much better idea than the other two.

If anything police departments need more money for the proper training, counseling, and internal oversight that it requires.  

33 minutes ago, achilles return said:

yeah dude, that’s exactly what i said

Well, if we aren’t allowed to talk about it, and we aren’t allowed to care about it, I assume we also aren’t allowed to do anything about it. 

It’s entirely possible to think what happened to George Floyd is horrific and requires societal change and real consequences and also to think that rioting and looting are wrong and should be immediately stopped since they harm other innocent people. This isn’t either/or. 

9 minutes ago, achilles return said:

This. x1,000,000.

8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Well, if we aren’t allowed to talk about it, and we aren’t allowed to care about it, I assume we also aren’t allowed to do anything about it. 

It’s entirely possible to think what happened to George Floyd is horrific and requires societal change and real consequences and also to think that rioting and looting are wrong and should be immediately stopped since they harm other innocent people. This isn’t either/or. 

this is absurd. you made up a dumb strawman. stop moving the goal posts. i didn't say a word about what anyone is "allowed" to talk about, i'm merely saying that there isn't a nationwide, decades-long nightmare of "looting", and there are a whole lot of people that are perfectly content (and even inclined) to talk about anything other than police brutality. 

i definitely said absolutely nothing about anyone "taking your ****" and what, if anything, that has to do with your thoughts on police abuse. don't make **** up and pass it off as my word. you ought to know that better than anyone.

7 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

In a civilized society a policing force is a necessity if not there's chaos.

If people were left to fend for themselves the world would look much different to say the least.

If the military is in charge... let's not forget that the military are trained killers. Very bad idea. When the military is an occupying force civilian people die.

While what we have now isn't perfect it's a much better idea than the other two.

If anything police departments need more money for the proper training, counseling, and internal oversight that it requires.  

We've had periods of virtually no police force, in the wild wild west for instance. People do not want to go back to that, trust me they don't.

47 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Robbery is taking something by force.  It can be, but is not necessarily, the equivalent of stealing.  In a very technical sense, she robbed him of his phone.

In a realistic sense, that charge will be pled down to a more reasonable approximation of what she actually did (criminal damage to property, simple battery, whatever).  She's already charged with battery so they might let her plead to that and just nolle pros the robbery charge.

In the United States, robbery is generally treated as an aggravated form of common law larceny. Specific elements and definitions differ from state to state. The common elements of robbery are:

1. a trespassory
  2. taking and
  3. carrying away
  4. of the personal property
  5. of another
  6. with the intent to steal
  7. from the person or presence of the victim
  8. by force or threat of force.

That's Wiki, so you probably have more reliable sources... but for now...

2 hours ago, achilles return said:

whatever “looting” is happening basically doesn’t matter at all relative to the amount of systemic police violence. anyone that cares about looting is either lying or has a twisted moral compass that puts inanimate objects and property over the lives of human beings

2 minutes ago, achilles return said:

this is absurd. you made up a dumb strawman. stop moving the goal posts. i didn't say a word about what anyone is "allowed" to talk about, i'm merely saying that there isn't a nationwide, decades-long nightmare of "looting", and there are a whole lot of people that are perfectly content (and even inclined) to talk about anything other than police brutality. 

i definitely said absolutely nothing about anyone "taking your ****" and what, if anything, that has to do with your thoughts on police abuse. don't make **** up and pass it off as my word. you ought to know that better than anyone.

"Anyone that cares about looting is either lying or has a twisted moral compass that puts inanimate objects and property over the lives of human beings."

As someone who cares about looting, I still say you're full of ****.  Because I also care about police brutality, and have rather consistently spoken against it, and I don't need your self-important preening to determine where my priorities lie, or ought to lie.  If you don't like the clear implications of your words, choose better words.  "Anyone" means what it says.  

2 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I don't think I want to live in a society where the only people that have guns are the bad guys. I don't like my odds on that.

Or worse, one where the mob can take control of major cities because the only people who have guns there (the police) are estopped from using them.  

If you do a Venn diagram of who is controlling and supporting the mob, who doesn't like private ownership of guns, and who wants to defund police departments, you'll see the same people.  

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Or worse, one where the mob can take control of major cities because the only people who have guns there (the police) are estopped from using them.  

If you do a Venn diagram of who is controlling and supporting the mob, who doesn't like private ownership of guns, and who wants to defund police departments, you'll see the same people.  

Exactly.  The unintended consequences from this would be enormous. 

1 minute ago, Boner said:

Absolutely not.

This is insane to me.  I see a situation where literally anyone can be a cop, very little education required, very little training expected, and your answer is less pay, less training and less qualified candidates (because highly qualified candidates won't work for low pay, lousy benefits, and crappy training where they bear the consequences of all three in real time).

We absolutely need more funding for police.  Not necessarily more police, and certainly not more law enforcement (too many things are illegal to begin with).  So yeah, if quantity is what is being sought with more funding, I agree with you.  But improving quality?  100% this needs to be done, and it requires more pay, more training, and therefore more funding (because payroll and training cost money).

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

"Anyone that cares about looting is either lying or has a twisted moral compass that puts inanimate objects and property over the lives of human beings."

As someone who cares about looting, I still say you're full of ****.  Because I also care about police brutality, and have rather consistently spoken against it, and I don't need your self-important preening to determine where my priorities lie, or ought to lie.  If you don't like the clear implications of your words, choose better words.  "Anyone" means what it says.  

the "clear implications my words" somehow being "if you don't want your **** stolen, you don't care about police" is absolute ********, and you know it. and instead of asking me for clarification, you went for the dishonest, flippant, strawman. and now you're here, because you care more about being right than doing right.