Jump to content

The Joe Biden Presidency Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Mr. Hoopah!

    10046

  • AF89

    7025

  • WhenFalconsWin

    4543

  • Aleksandr sportolli

    4139

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Corn Pop said:

 

this guy's from the UK but the point still stands, also we bailed out auto manufacturers in this country:

 

Not much is open here. Food outlets are takeaway only. The measures taken here for small and medium enterprises is killing them off. We aren't too bad off locally as those we do visit I believe they own their business properties so it's more a case of them excepting furlough contributions, which is just holding back the unemployment surge in hospitality until the new tax year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Here's the problem, because usually I agree with your reasoning on this.  It ain't the same drum.

Shanahan was a great coordinator who was stuck trying to get a bunch of guys on the same page.  When he did, 2016 happened.  Sarkisian was a competent coordinator who had the offense trending in the right direction. Knapp was, as you rightly note, a victim of circumstance, but also somewhat unimaginative.  He was good enough if the QB would have dropped to the same spot.

Mularkey was a phenomenally good OC who in my opinion got stuck with some bad personnel issues and instead of scheming around them, decided in 2011 that we couldn't attack the deep part of the field because we couldn't pass protect.  That cost him his job.  

Koeter is a guy who had 1 good season here, and then fell off a cliff, then was invited back for some reason, and continues to fall off a cliff.  His scheme makes everything harder for the offense.  He does nothing to work around that except in fits and starts.  Which is almost more frustrating, because the Falcons will have a great drive just moving the chains, and on the next drive Koetter has us chucking it 30 yards again (and predictably taking sacks as a result).  He just isn't a very good designer or play caller.  He is what he is.

Smith is a lot more like Shanahan or Sarkisian than any of the rest.  He's really, really good at what he does, and he's getting the most out of a collection of players that aren't as good as ours.  

So I agree, people around here blame the coordinator too often.  But I'm not one of those people, and you can't always paint with that brush.  Just looking at production out of their respective offenses, would you rather hire Koetter or Arthur Smith to run your offense?

This is where we part.

That was usually  not on DK.

That is on Ryan.

We usually have something deep , middle and short on most pass plays.

Very rarely did we run a pass play with out a check down or outlet receiver...it did happen a couple times but those were more exception than the rule.

Ryan took the deep route much more than he needed to with different degrees of success..

The best example I can give with that is vs Chicago. Ryan went to Oz on a deep post when he had Ridley clearing on a crossing about 10 yards ( give or take). It was incomplete .

Ryan took the more difficult shot when he had time to let Ridley come open underneath..Oz was open but if Ryan waited a blink longer ( he had time to do so) then Ridley would have had a big gain on the catch and run.....minus the yards he went backwards of course.

This was a theme over and over in 2020.

You say it is the scheme making it harder but in reality it was decisions by the QB.

I love Ryan.....he is our Goat and is going to end up statistically one of the great QBs of all time but he did not play to the level that he should have or could have this year past year....and it was more on him that anyone else.....and I think if you asked him over a beer he would tell you as much.

As far as who I would rather have?

Dunno.

We have not seen what Smith will do here with our guys but we have seen him have a struggling offense with a guy like Mariota at qb and we have seen his team struggle in the post season when teams neutralized Henry.....on the flip side we have seen his offense be wildly successful.

And As much as I think DK gets a bad wrap...it is probably time for a new voice.

We can revisit that question after 2021 if Smith is indeed the guy.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

This is where we part.

That was usually  not on DK.

That is on Ryan.

We usually have something deep , middle and short on most pass plays.

Very rarely did we run a pass play with out a check down or outlet receiver...it did happen a couple times but those were more exception than the rule.

Ryan took the deep route much more than he needed to with different degrees of success..

The best example I can give with that is vs Chicago. Ryan went to Oz on a deep post when he had Ridley clearing on a crossing about 10 yards ( give or take). It was incomplete .

Ryan took the more difficult shot when he had time to let Ridley come open underneath..Oz was open but if Ryan waited a blink longer ( he had time to do so) then Ridley would have had a big gain on the catch and run.....minus the yards he went backwards of course.

This was a theme over and over in 2020.

You say it is the scheme making it harder but in reality it was decisions by the QB.

I love Ryan.....he is our Goat and is going to end up statistically one of the great QBs of all time but he did not play to the level that he should have or could have this year past year....and it was more on him that anyone else.....and I think if you asked him over a beer he would tell you as much.

As far as who I would rather have?

Dunno.

We have not seen what Smith will do here with our guys but we have seen him have a struggling offense with a guy like Mariota at qb and we have seen his team struggle in the post season when teams neutralized Henry.....on the flip side we have seen his offense be wildly successful.

And As much as I think DK gets a bad wrap...it is probably time for a new voice.

We can revisit that question after 2021 if Smith is indeed the guy.

 

 

 

 

So why is it that Matt's decision making is usually worse when DK is the coordinator and not so much when Shanahan and Sarkisian were?

I mean, in 2015 his decision making was terrible, but he was learning the system.  He knows Koetter's system.  So why does he tend to regress in it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JDaveG said:

So why is it that Matt's decision making is usually worse when DK is the coordinator and not so much when Shanahan and Sarkisian were?

I mean, in 2015 his decision making was terrible, but he was learning the system.  He knows Koetter's system.  So why does he tend to regress in it?

I would argue that his decision making is actually not too dissimilar.

The difference is that he connected on those decisions under Shanny in 16 and Sark in 18.

When he threw home run balls to guys like Hall, Gabriel, Robinson ect he connected more.

The play that I referenced vs Chicago. Sure the decision was not the best but if he makes a better throw....it is a big gain and possibly a TD with Oz's speed.

The Bucs in the first game he took a deep shot to Gage where underneath was open...but a better throw it is a first down.(or is Gage catches it....that play is the poster child for differing opinions on the same play)

Vs Chargers he stares down hurst but if the throw comes out earlier it is a completion instead of an int.

And to be fair to him...our skill players did not do a good enough job of helping him in several instances.

He still threw into double coverage then in 16 and 18...he just got away with it more.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I would argue that his decision making is actually not too dissimilar.

The difference is that he connected on those decisions under Shanny in 16 and Sark in 18.

When he threw home run balls to guys like Hall, Gabriel, Robinson ect he connected more.

The play that I referenced vs Chicago. Sure the decision was not the best but if he makes a better throw....it is a big gain and possibly a TD with Oz's speed.

The Bucs in the first game he took a deep shot to Gage where underneath was open...but a better throw it is a first down.(or is Gage catches it....that play is the poster child for differing opinions on the same play)

Vs Chargers he stares down hurst but if the throw comes out earlier it is a completion instead of an int.

And to be fair to him...our skill players did not do a good enough job of helping him in several instances.

He still threw into double coverage then in 16 and 18...he just got away with it more.

 

 

 

 

 

I always point to the TD to Gabe against GB in 2016.  It looks like he threw into double coverage.  Only he didn't.  Gage widened the route to the boundary and then broke to the post.  By the time he broke, the ball was in the air.

Ryan looked off the safety and threw to a spot and Gabriel went and got it.  He had 2 guys in the frame when he caught the ball.  But he was open the whole way.  There was no chance anyone but him was catching the football.

Now, you say the skill players don't help him out now.  I agree.  But it was Shanahan's attention to detail that made the play.  He coached Turbo to widen the route to the boundary.  Because he knew when it broke to the post, the corner had lost his leverage and with Gabe's speed he'd never recover.  Shanahan was a master at that.

The only other guy we've interviewed who is reputed to have that kind of attention to detail is Hackett.  And I don't know that he's any better at it than Smith.  

Coaching matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...