The Joe Biden Presidency Thread

18 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Feel like I should clarify my position on this, having been accused of believing that "she has a vagina, ergo, she wins." I don't believe any accusation 100% just because it's made. But, when allegations are made, I try to view them within the context that false allegations are extremely rare in comparison to true and/or unreported allegations. That very few people actually court the kind of vitriolic harassment that comes from accusing a public figure. That assault and harassment often go unreported for years due to a variety of factors and we can't simply assume someone would or should have brought them to light earlier. That incomplete or inconsistent memory is common with traumatic events. That people often reveal traumatic events in fits and spells. That there is rarely physical evidence, or eyewitnesses. That for so, so long, men could get away with harassing or even assaulting women because "boys will be boys" or because we didn't appreciate that men frequently overlooked signs of no consent. And that powerful men, particularly powerful white men, have long enjoyed protections against such allegations because of their ability to scare of accusers, because of their friendships in the media and other powerful institutions, etc.

For those reasons, I will generally give the accuser the benefit of the doubt. It does not mean I believe every one of them 100% or that facts can't come out that make me doubt the claim more (e.g., when she/he demonstrates traits more consistent with false allegations, or physical evidence emerges, etc.). It just means that in all cases - including and maybe even particularly with people I respect - I try to understand that the likelihood that it is a false claim is far less than the likelihood that it is not.

As to the "due process" thing, that is for the government, and for courts, not for vetting people for powerful positions. And the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard is criminal. Just because someone can't meet that standard with an allegation doesn't mean it didn't happen. Indeed, we'll let someone sue you into bankruptcy, or destroy your business, etc., under the far less rigorous "preponderance of the evidence" standard. For me, I just don't need much more than that when deciding if someone is fit for some of the highest offices in the land.

I automatically doubted the Kavanaugh accusers represented by Gloria Allred and Avenatti. 

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• WhenFalconsWin

• Southern California Liar

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Posted Images

It took me less than 5 minutes to gather this via Google search:

NARA is officially responsible for maintaining and publishing the legally authentic and authoritative copies of acts of Congress, presidential directives, and federal regulations. NARA also transmits votes of the Electoral Collegeto Congress.[8]

NARA keeps only those Federal records that are judged to have continuing value—about 2 to 5 percent of those generated in any given year. 

Apparently journalistic curiosity is a part-time endeavor. 

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

NARA is officially responsible for maintaining and publishing the legally authentic and authoritative copies of acts of Congress, presidential directives, and federal regulations. NARA also transmits votes of the Electoral Collegeto Congress.[8]

NARA keeps only those Federal records that are judged to have continuing value—about 2 to 5 percent of those generated in any given year. 

Dave, you are a good guy, always have been (at least on the board), but who are you arguing with?

1 minute ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I automatically doubted the Kavanaugh accusers represented by Gloria Allred and Avenatti. 

That was when I learned to really hate liberal cable news. I didn't like it before, but that's how I came around to realizing they had no problem teaching 90% of the country not to take them or their audience seriously, as long as their audience perceived that the hostility was all coming from Trump supporters and Russian hackers.

8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I’m not arguing. I’m making a point about media double standards. 

What threw me was your response to me.  I (thought) I explained I thought it was fair to investigate Biden, and if he said the archives were the place to start, it seemed fair to me, but again, I don't know how the process works, and again, I would have shot down the U of D question with a "yes!"  But I'll be honest, I barely watch Morning Joe, I thought it was trash from long ago when Joe would remind everyone multiple times during EVERY show the he was once a GOP Rep. from Florabama (I kid, Florida), and Mika has always been a garbage "journalist" to me, and the interview this morning only reinforced that.

1 minute ago, Andrews_31 said:

What threw me was your response to me.  I (thought) I explained I thought it was fair to investigate Biden, and if he said the archives were the place to start, it seemed fair to me, but again, I don't know how the process works, and again, I would have shot down the U of D question with a "yes!"  But I'll be honest, I barely watch Morning Joe, I thought it was trash from long ago when Joe would remind everyone multiple times during EVERY show the he was a GOP Rep. from Florabama (I kid, Florida), and Mika has always been a garbage "journalist" to me, and the interview this morning only reinforced that

Joe and Mika are dorks. Chris Hayes is the only decent personality on that network. 

2 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

What threw me was your response to me.  I (thought) I explained I thought it was fair to investigate Biden, and if he said the archives were the place to start, it seemed fair to me, but again, I don't know how the process works, and again, I would have shot down the U of D question with a "yes!"  But I'll be honest, I barely watch Morning Joe, I thought it was trash from long ago when Joe would remind everyone multiple times during EVERY show the he was a GOP Rep. from Florabama (I kid, Florida), and Mika has always been a garbage "journalist" to me, and the interview this morning only reinforced that

Let's be honest, Joe and Mika aren't journalists. They, like many others on cable news, are people who read the news and then give an opinion on it.

I’d like to thank the Kavanugh (sp) situation for getting me off Facebook.  My only comment is that his conduct at the hearing and the lie he told about the games they played should have been disqualifying.  

metoo movement and dems played right into this stupidity and they have no high ground to stand on.  They would be drooling over themselves if this was trump.

thanks dems, now I get to choose between two alleged rapist... yay

3 minutes ago, lostone said:

I’d like to thank the Kavanugh (sp) situation for getting me off Facebook.  My only comment is that his conduct at the hearing and the lie he told about the games they played should have been disqualifying.  

metoo movement and dems played right into this stupidity and they have no high ground to stand on.  They would be drooling over themselves if this was trump.

thanks dems, now I get to choose between two alleged rapist... yay

Two candidates under FBI investigation in 16 to two alleged rapists in 20 seems like a fitting American evolution. I’m sure the democrats will dig up their own war criminal to run against the one eyed psycho Seal

9 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

What threw me was your response to me.  I (thought) I explained I thought it was fair to investigate Biden, and if he said the archives were the place to start, it seemed fair to me, but again, I don't know how the process works, and again, I would have shot down the U of D question with a "yes!"  But I'll be honest, I barely watch Morning Joe, I thought it was trash from long ago when Joe would remind everyone multiple times during EVERY show the he was once a GOP Rep. from Florabama (I kid, Florida), and Mika has always been a garbage "journalist" to me, and the interview this morning only reinforced that.

I know -- my apologies for that.  As I said, it wasn't aimed at you.  And apparently I misread you to boot.  My bad.

Mostly I'm generally perturbed at the idea, and this is being floated as we speak even among Republicans I know, that Biden has made a "bold move" to address the allegations and the media is really digging to the bottom of this right now when literally everyone knows that's a load of horse ****.  My apologies for venting all that in your direction.  It wasn't about you at all.

Just now, JDaveG said:

I know -- my apologies for that.  As I said, it wasn't aimed at you.  And apparently I misread you to boot.  My bad.

Mostly I'm generally perturbed at the idea, and this is being floated as we speak even among Republicans I know, that Biden has made a "bold move" to address the allegations and the media is really digging to the bottom of this right now when literally everyone knows that's a load of horse ****.  My apologies for venting all that in your direction.  It wasn't about you at all.

The media is full of ****, we can all agree on that!  I barely watch any of the news networks now (BBC for me)!

29 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Arbeit macht frei... no wonder this tweat went viral over here.

The most troubling I have ever seen out of the US were those pictures out of Michigan. That was some straight SA riot stuff from the early 1930s.

Edited by Herr Beast
56 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

I stopped watching when for weeks at a time complain over and over about the same stuff Trump makes mistakes on. Once during a s*!t show is enough.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

To further this, someone on an email list I frequent, and a mother, made this cogent point:

"If I’ve learned anything as a parent it’s that my kids are totally not hiding anything when they won’t show me what’s behind their backs."

The fact that the National Archives don't keep these sorts of records but the University of Delaware might is the tell here.  That doesn't mean there is something there.  It does mean that the records, currently under seal, ought to be produced.  And if Joe Biden thought for a second they would prove exculpatory, he'd produce them.  I'm not saying he knows there is a complaint there.  I am saying he isn't very confident there isn't one.  

Again, plenty of reasons to question Reade's account, and plenty of reason to ask for more questions to be asked and a proper investigation to be done.  If this was Brett Kavanaugh?  Y'all, come on.  It was 2 years ago.  The abrupt about face from the media on this, and people like Stacey Abrams, Nancy Pelosi, Kyrsten Sinema, etc., is a joke.  And this farce of an excuse for not unsealing those records goes unchallenged.

I remember when Sn4t laughed that I said something to do with Morning Joe having more influence than they deserved among old liberals. Apparently they still have enough clout with Biden's audience that his campaign would pick them for him to talk about the allegations with, now that the media's decided that it's time to deal with it. It might have even been helpful for Biden that Mika's lousy interview drew some of the attention away from his own performance.

If Biden wins, that crowd's gonna hit a level of insufferable that'll turn 2022 into a ******* Red Tsunami. Probably won't stop in 2022, either. They probably won't give it a good reason to stop = /