Jump to content

The Joe Biden Presidency Thread


Mr. Hoopah!
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 4/17/2020 at 2:57 PM, eatcorn said:

Dudes, the new Fiona Apple record is really good. Did not see that coming at all.

 

On 4/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, The Monarch said:

Yep, really good.

Just circling back to this to reiterate that yes, it is really freaking good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Opening up is just going to get more people killed. You cannot save the economy when people are afraid of going outside because they could die. You are just unnecessarily putting working class people at risk. 

Sweden's economy isn't vibrant and growing they are in a recession like most others. Their unemployment rate is going to be above 10%.

Now Denmark is doing it correctly. They shutdown and immediately passed laws subsidizing payrolls and their current unemployment rate is only .2% higher than prior to the pandemic. They will have a much easier time keeping the lowdown going as long as necessary to prepare for massive testing and PPE for everyone to build consumer confidence. That is what we should have been doing. 

I know people who lost their jobs.  I got news for you, they aren't staying home.  They're doing whatever it takes.  One of them hasn't yet been approved for unemployment and hasn't gotten a stimulus check.  She can't get unemployment to call her back and can't get a status on her check from the IRS.  She's going out and doing side work with her cousin, who cleans houses.  Not offices, which fall within those minimum basic operations rules.  New construction.  With plumbers and painters and who knows who else coming in and out constantly, not to mention potential homebuyers and realtors who also aren't listening and just doing what they want.

You can tell her going out and working whatever job she can find is selfish and illegal and what not, but you'll be whistling in the wind.  She has rent and bills to pay, and food to put on the table.  Right now, at this moment, she's in the vast minority.  Most people are doing okay.  But the more people like her end up being told to stay home, the more you are going to have real problems.  It's not workable as this country exists today.  We can pine about subsidizing payroll and minimum basic income, but as long as the government is not providing those things, people are going to put survival above wish casting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I know people who lost their jobs.  I got news for you, they aren't staying home.  They're doing whatever it takes.  One of them hasn't yet been approved for unemployment and hasn't gotten a stimulus check.  She can't get unemployment to call her back and can't get a status on her check from the IRS.  She's going out and doing side work with her cousin, who cleans houses.  Not offices, which fall within those minimum basic operations rules.  New construction.  With plumbers and painters and who knows who else coming in and out constantly, not to mention potential homebuyers and realtors who also aren't listening and just doing what they want.

You can tell her going out and working whatever job she can find is selfish and illegal and what not, but you'll be whistling in the wind.  She has rent and bills to pay, and food to put on the table.  Right now, at this moment, she's in the vast minority.  Most people are doing okay.  But the more people like her end up being told to stay home, the more you are going to have real problems.  It's not workable as this country exists today.  We can pine about subsidizing payroll and minimum basic income, but as long as the government is not providing those things, people are going to put survival above wish casting.

Exactly what I said in the other thread. There are some people out there in that desperate situation and as afraid as they are of the virus, they are even more afraid of their kids going hungry and homeless. 

It's not just Karens who want a haircut and their nails done. And framing the debate as such marginalizes those desperate people that the left should be making cause with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Exactly what I said in the other thread. There are some people out there in that desperate situation and as afraid as they are of the virus, they are even more afraid of their kids going hungry and homeless. 

It's not just Karens who want a haircut and their nails done. And framing the debate as such marginalizes those desperate people that the left should be making cause with. 

That's a feature, not a bug. Can't let the poors think they'll be taken care of if disaster strikes. It's their job to put their lives on the line so profits stay safe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

That's a feature, not a bug. Can't let the poors think they'll be taken care of if disaster strikes. It's their job to put their lives on the line so profits stay safe.

I agree, but ridiculing those people by calling them Karens and other perjoratives isn't helping the cause. Yet another lesson that should have been learned in 2016.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I agree, but ridiculing those people by calling them Karens and other perjoratives isn't helping the cause. Yet another lesson that should have been learned in 2016.

The Karens would be the small business owners screaming about how it's fascism that they can't fertilize their lawns. The workers are scheduled to have a strike tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jpizzle said:

I'll never mock anyone doing what they need to do to survive. Thems is my peoples.

 

 

A lot of these idiots at these rallies aren't my peoples and they aren't representing them well.

I agree. I'm not talking about the rallies. They tend to attract the most extreme on either side. 

My point is that there are desperate people that haven't seen any kind of help from the government and we should acknowledge that and avoid ridiculing them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I agree. I'm not talking about the rallies. They tend to attract the most extreme on either side. 

My point is that there are desperate people that haven't seen any kind of help from the government and we should acknowledge that and avoid ridiculing them. 

Brother the next time you see me ridicule a blue collar worker struggling to do what they need to do to make it will be the first time.

 

I'll argue with a white collar person all day about why they should keep their *** at home if they can but me and mine have been at normal work schedules the entire time. 

 

Also I'd say that most of the criticism on here has been leveled at the government, those who would ignore basic science, or those who have minimized it from the beginning.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I know people who lost their jobs.  I got news for you, they aren't staying home.  They're doing whatever it takes.  One of them hasn't yet been approved for unemployment and hasn't gotten a stimulus check.  She can't get unemployment to call her back and can't get a status on her check from the IRS.  She's going out and doing side work with her cousin, who cleans houses.  Not offices, which fall within those minimum basic operations rules.  New construction.  With plumbers and painters and who knows who else coming in and out constantly, not to mention potential homebuyers and realtors who also aren't listening and just doing what they want.

You can tell her going out and working whatever job she can find is selfish and illegal and what not, but you'll be whistling in the wind.  She has rent and bills to pay, and food to put on the table.  Right now, at this moment, she's in the vast minority.  Most people are doing okay.  But the more people like her end up being told to stay home, the more you are going to have real problems.  It's not workable as this country exists today.  We can pine about subsidizing payroll and minimum basic income, but as long as the government is not providing those things, people are going to put survival above wish casting.

And that is a failure of our government. I don't fault anyone trying to survive but the fact that people have to make that decision is a failure of government. The fact that R states would rather sacrifice our working class people than provide them the services necessary to get out of this situation isn't something we should be accepting. 

Kemp is a governor and you were defending his decision, do not try and switch this to being about those being left out by our incompetent government. I am willing to bet if you offered those people who haven't gotten checks yet the option to stay home and get paid vs having to go out and risk their lives, I am sure most, if not all, would choose to be paid staying home. 

At the end of the day the  stay at home and lose everything vs going out and risk dying from this virus was always a false dichotomy created by our terrible government and politicians, who give zero ****s about us. Other countries have shown that there are better alternatives. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Exactly what I said in the other thread. There are some people out there in that desperate situation and as afraid as they are of the virus, they are even more afraid of their kids going hungry and homeless. 

It's not just Karens who want a haircut and their nails done. And framing the debate as such marginalizes those desperate people that the left should be making cause with. 

 

17 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

The Karens would be the small business owners screaming about how it's fascism that they can't fertilize their lawns. The workers are scheduled to have a strike tomorrow.

The Karens around here are the bored housewives who want all the poors to stay home so their husbands don’t catch it at work and bring it home, but they are also fine going out and getting lattes and ice cream and takeout. 
 

They’re mostly politically conservative suburban housewives. And they’ll probably vote for Biden. Basically, no one here would like them very much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jpizzle said:

If these last several years have taught me anything it's that a significant portion of the population ties way too much of their personal identities into their political beliefs.

 

 

 

And that there's really no hope that it's gonna get better. :ninja:

****, you could have read my Polarization Primer thread half a decade ago and known that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jpizzle said:

You once told me that the first thing you tell folks is buy a teddy bear....

 

I understand now 

:lol:

This semester I told them that my goal was for them to walk out of every class wanting to throat punch somebody.  I had no conceivable idea how easy that was going to be this semester.

Edit:  By the way, you should read the book “It’s Even Worse than It Looks” by Mann and Ornstein.  But only read it on days that you’re feeling a little too happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...