• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• WhenFalconsWin

• Southern California Liar

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Honestly, and maybe this belongs in the COVID-19 thread, but I don't have a problem with this and here is why.

We did the shelter in place order to slow the curve, so we could ensure there is hospital capacity for those who may get infected.  It is not reasonable to think we were going to keep the economy shut down until we get a cure, or even get testing up to speed (though that needs to be proceeding with haste).  It cannot be done.  People will be thrown out of their homes, they will die, they will lose everything they have.  It is just not sustainable.  So if we have capacity, opening up makes sense.  If the capacity is why we sheltered in place, and if the capacity is now up to snuff, then there is no reason to shelter in place any longer.  

Now, if he said "put away the hand sanitizer and masks and gloves," that would be different.  But as I understand it, we are still going to be operating under social distancing rules and using so forth, so I'm 100% okay with this.

21 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Anyone who wants to become a nurse should have their entire education refunded once they graduate.

From what I understand they are a commodity we are short on

Been like that for years.

A few years ago California was needing nurses so bad that they were paying like 5k-10k employment bonuses as well as ridiculous relocation packages...we are talking like 15k or more depending on where you were coming from.

7 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Honestly, and maybe this belongs in the COVID-19 thread, but I don't have a problem with this and here is why.

We did the shelter in place order to slow the curve, so we could ensure there is hospital capacity for those who may get infected.  It is not reasonable to think we were going to keep the economy shut down until we get a cure, or even get testing up to speed (though that needs to be proceeding with haste).  It cannot be done.  People will be thrown out of their homes, they will die, they will lose everything they have.  It is just not sustainable.  So if we have capacity, opening up makes sense.  If the capacity is why we sheltered in place, and if the capacity is now up to snuff, then there is no reason to shelter in place any longer.  

Now, if he said "put away the hand sanitizer and masks and gloves," that would be different.  But as I understand it, we are still going to be operating under social distancing rules and using so forth, so I'm 100% okay with this.

The problem is that the minimum guideline to start reopening without a significant threat of causing another spike is a two week decline in cases. Zero states have managed to pull that off yet so this will undoubtedly cause another flare up, a la what happened during the Spanish flu when states and localities rushed to do the same thing back then.

For what it's worth, my office closed half days during the first week of shelter in place and we've been operating normally since.  We do depositions and mediations via Zoom, and when clients come we maintain social distancing and wash hands and Lysol everything down when they leave.  I have maybe 1-2 clients in my office per week these days.  Most of what I do is done remotely.

1 minute ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

The problem is that the minimum guideline to start reopening without a significant threat of causing another spike, is a two week decline in cases. Zero states have managed to pull that off yet so this will undoubtedly cause another flare up, a la what happened during the Spanish flu when states and localities rushed to do the same thing back then.

It may well cause a flare up.  The question is whether the hospital capacity is sufficient to handle it.

It either is or it isn't.  For better or worse we're about to find out.  If Kemp is wrong about that part of it, yes, he's playing with fire.  I imagine he'd want to have pretty good data before rushing things, though.  He still wants to get re-elected, and "remember that time Gov. Kemp killed 5000 Georgians?" is a pretty good campaign slogan for the other side.

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I think that business's that can be done remotely should be required to stay remote.

For example...I can underwrite a mortgage file from anywhere..I do not need to be in an office.

Probably 99% of the mortgage work now can be done remotely since nearly everyone is paperless now.....those kind of business's should have to remain at home.

8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

It may well cause a flare up.  The question is whether the hospital capacity is sufficient to handle it.

It either is or it isn't.  For better or worse we're about to find out.  If Kemp is wrong about that part of it, yes, he's playing with fire.  I imagine he'd want to have pretty good data before rushing things, though.  He still wants to get re-elected, and "remember that time Gov. Kemp killed 5000 Georgians?" is a pretty good campaign slogan for the other side.

Considering that they've been strained while we've been implementing measures to slow the spread I think it's safe to assume that they won't be able to handle a second spike very well.

We're basically just repeating what happened during the Spanish flu, right down to the protests against the most basic measures to contain the spread of the disease since they were against our Constitutional rights for some reason.

11 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I think that business's that can be done remotely should be required to stay remote.

For example...I can underwrite a mortgage file from anywhere..I do not need to be in an office.

Probably 99% of the mortgage work now can be done remotely since nearly everyone is paperless now.....those kind of business's should have to remain at home.

I don't know about required to, but certainly encouraged to.  My take on the practice of law right now is most firms are taking precautions.  Most of the mediations and depositions I've done, the lawyers and the mediators and the court reporters are all working from home.

The other thing, and I mentioned this weeks ago, if you go out at all, especially in suburban areas, most people are doing what they want to do anyway.  So really, it's up to us.  I'm not sure we need the government to step in and say "stay 6 feet apart, wash your hands," etc.  I do think some things like large public gatherings ought to be banned.  But when I see a pair of late-20s idiots standing over the meat aisle with their masks pulled down around their necks handling literally every package of ground beef in the cooler with their grubby hands, I'm not sure shelter in place has a whole lot of meaning.  And since we lack the police capacity to enforce proper social distancing, it's up to us as individuals to take proper precautions.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

For what it's worth, my office closed half days during the first week of shelter in place and we've been operating normally since.  We do depositions and mediations via Zoom, and when clients come we maintain social distancing and wash hands and Lysol everything down when they leave.  I have maybe 1-2 clients in my office per week these days.  Most of what I do is done remotely.

Are you doing shots or mixing it with something else to dilute the taste?  We've been using super soakers.  We just try to get as much down our throats without it touching our tongues (my wife is exceptional at this).  Lysol is a disgusting miracle.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Opening up is just going to get more people killed. You cannot save the economy when people are afraid of going outside because they could die. You are just unnecessarily putting working class people at risk. 

Sweden's economy isn't vibrant and growing they are in a recession like most others. Their unemployment rate is going to be above 10%.

Now Denmark is doing it correctly. They shutdown and immediately passed laws subsidizing payrolls and their current unemployment rate is only .2% higher than prior to the pandemic. They will have a much easier time keeping the lowdown going as long as necessary to prepare for massive testing and PPE for everyone to build consumer confidence. That is what we should have been doing. 

52 minutes ago, AF89 said:

I got my "please give me credit" trump letter. Straight into the fire place ^_^

I heard Trump say today the 'Republican States' are doing wonderful with virus issues. :doh:Why TF does it have to be political? The worst infected state was New York with a Democratic Governor Cuomo and he did an outstanding job with the huge amount of infected residents he had to deal with. The pandemic involves everyone and should never be spoken about as a political issue. What a loser. Plus he hollered at his campaign manager when he saw he was behind in the most recent poll saying he will not lose to Biden. It's not his campaign managers fault he's behind in the poll, it's he alone who is doing it.