• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• WhenFalconsWin

• Southern California Liar

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Do you know how much money colleges and universities make from international students?

Over 25% of their revenue.  It will be interesting to see if they would even go for this..... Hopefully they can give up the "higher learning" facade and admit it's all about the $$

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Considering they passed it in March and here we are going into May.....

They've already been delayed.

They are. I also don't see the point in delaying them further especially when you know full well your side is going to lose the PR battle. No one but the most bitter Democratic partisans are going to side with them over this.

IIRC, a big reason why this is going to take so long is that they only have direct deposit info of ~40 million Americans and they can only print out 20 million checks per week. Sort of a glaring red flag about how outdated that portion of the infrastructure is and should be revamped. Too bad we all know nothing will be done about that.

4 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

They are. I also don't see the point in delaying them further especially when you know full well your side is going to lose the PR battle. No one but the most bitter Democratic partisans are going to side with them over this.

IIRC, a big reason why this is going to take so long is that they only have direct deposit info of ~40 million Americans and they can only print out 20 million checks per week. Sort of a glaring red flag about how outdated that portion of the infrastructure is and should be revamped. Too bad we all know nothing will be done about that.

Yes the government is a disaster and always has been.

Too bad instead of spending money where it's needed it's always a political football.  They've even let the government shut down for over a month......

Now peoples lives are on the line.... literally in some cases.

And instead of providing leadership the government is bickering with each other and floating the idea of letting states declare bankruptcy.  Unemployment, police,  schools, fire departments (and by extension ambulances), etc are all paid at the state level.  Sure let's let the states go bankrupt so they have to make massive cuts and layoffs to these essential areas.  I'm sure that would go over well.

Do you know what happens next if they did that?  That's the part in the movies where society breaks down and the new currency is guns and ammo.

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yes the government is a disaster and always has been.

Too bad instead of spending money where it's needed it's always a political football.  They've even let the government shut down for over a month......

Now peoples lives are on the line.... literally in some cases.

And instead of providing leadership the government is bickering with each other and floating the idea of letting states declare bankruptcy.  Unemployment, police,  schools, fire departments (and by extension ambulances), etc are all paid at the state level.  Sure let's let the states go bankrupt so they have to make massive cuts and layoffs to these essential areas.  I'm sure that would go over well.

Do you know what happens next if they did that?  That's the part in the movies where society breaks down and the new currency is guns and ammo.

I talked about that in the nuked thread. Things we took for granted to provide stability are dissolving all around us but our leaders are either in a capitalist death cult or fanatical technocrats whose political imagination doesn't go further than just tweaking things. Totally inept leadership, economic implosions, and factors that dramatically increase the anxiety of the people (eg. famines, pandemics) is a combination that provides a pressure cooker for social unrest and revolutions.

1 minute ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

I talked about that in the nuked thread. Things we took for granted to provide stability are dissolving all around us but our leaders are either in a capitalist death cult or fanatical technocrats whose political imagination doesn't go further than just tweaking things. Totally inept leadership, economic implosions, and factors that dramatically increase the anxiety of the people (eg. famines, pandemics) is a combination that provides a pressure cooker for social unrest and revolutions.

Let's just think about this for a second.

We are this close to society breaking down.  Not because of a nuclear holocaust but because of inept leadership..... well I guess there's always Canada....

1719084.jpg

48 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Let's just think about this for a second.

We are this close to society breaking down.  Not because of a nuclear holocaust but because of inept leadership..... well I guess there's always Canada....

1719084.jpg

That's usually how it works. People can usually deal with cataclysms if the system they live in is sturdy enough and/or they have effective leaders to navigate the disaster to keep the key portions of the system intact. The Third French Republic, for example, survived the duel disaster of WW1's Western Front primarily being fought on their territory and the Spanish flu despite generally incompetent leadership both politically and militarily. Likewise, the United States was facing significant risk of social upheaval during the Great Depression but FDR made enough changes to the present capitalist system to secure its survival and release the pressure.

Abrupt change is normally predicated on inept leadership trying to bolster a rotted out system while ignoring long simmering discontent. Then, at a certain point, something causes the simmer to turn into a rolling boil, the inept leadership does little to help, and then things take a life of their own. Some examples off the top of my head:

Charles I applying too much pressure to nobles and peasants to raise money without parliament for his disastrous projects/absolutist rule. When he eventually had to call parliament a power struggle started... Yada yada yada, England briefly became a republican dictatorship under Cromwell.

Louis XVI bankrupted the royal coffers and essentially sought out bailout money for his ancien regime by calling the estates general. This crack was enough for the burgeoning liberal class to have some power and ability to voice their discontent... Yada yada yada, peasants who were angry about the famine stormed Versailles and that eventually led to some petty noble from Corsica becoming the Emperor of the French.

Nicholas II threw out what little reforms he granted the people after a series of general strikes in 1905 because clearly God ordained him to be an absolute monarch. WW1 drained Russia militarily and economically due to poor and aloof leadership from the top. Yada yada yada, liberals staged a revolution to install a democratic republic who were, in turn, overthrown by communists since the liberals wanted to keep fighting the war.

So on and so forth.

As stupid as Ben Garrison's cartoons are, they at least succeed in being so cartoonish and over-the-top in their messaging that they merely present as stupid and hilarious to the left. There's probably not going to be a Ben Garrison cartoon depicting Joe Biden pinning Lady Liberty to a wall, the way we had political cartoons depicting that in the case of Kavanaugh. They're too silly to respond to with anger, the way conservatives responded to the heaviest Kavanaugh stuff.

Trump tweeted the updates on covid-19 are not worth the effort. His recent update saw him run off the stage without fielding questions so he is peeved at the press. If he cancels them I consider us lucky because they've been 90% about him and false cures.   

Please cancel them  :slick: