The Joe Biden Presidency Thread

Mr. Hoopah!

1 hour ago, AF89 said:

First Law if your looking for dark fantasy.

I have to echo AR on WOT (my favorite too) and anything Brandon Sanderson but thier not in the same vein as ASOIAF that I know alot of people got into Game of Thrones.

WoT is more like if you took the themes of LoTr and introduced them to modern fantasy themes and the first book is almost the Hobbit like in light tone but it does get darker. One of the few series ive read through twice

yeah, the transformation from the first book being this very tolkien-esque adventure story into this colossal epic of the world's ending is something i still haven't really seen done in any other series. you watch characters go from being completely naive and innocent to genuine leaders at the precipice of the apocalypse with all the stresses and personal tribulations that ensues. how the tone shifts from the earlier books to the later books is crazy.

i came to the series after a song of ice and fire and i was skeptical when my buddy told me he liked it better than asoiaf. i definitely say the same thing now. 

Of course if yall want really really really dark then read Malazan book of the Fallen. Its actually what originally made me pick up Wheel of Time cause I needed to cleanse my mind before going to bed with something lighter.

Just be warned, its 2nd book alone makes any GoT book look like a YA novel, its world and cast of characters is so complex that it turns alot of people off because its massive and continent spanning and Steven Erikson thinks exposition is for p*ssys who need thier hand held, its heavy handed in its themes and the 1st book isn't really that great and the main series alone is 10 books long with dozens of spinoff books and a whole 2nd author dedicated to writing in world content.

But it does have some of the best moments and characters you'll ever find and if you can read it, finish it and feel like you actually understood it its lowkey actually an acomplishment. 

8 minutes ago, achilles return said:

yeah, the transformation from the first book being this very tolkien-esque adventure story into this colossal epic of the world's ending. you watch characters go from being completely naive and innocent to genuine leaders at the precipice of the apocalypse with all the stresses and personal tribulations that ensues. 

i came to the series after a song of ice and fire and i was skeptical when my buddy told me he liked it better than asoiaf. i definitely say the same thing now. 

Yeah WoT is my favorite now too. Just something about it. Its not the best at any one thing and even some of its plot points that would have been considered subversive when they came out are standard tropes now.

I think its the characters. So many are great and the cast is eventually big enough and well written that you start craving certain combinations just to see the interactions (aka Mat and Birgitte)

The world, cultures and historical lore are deep too

Was about to recommend even more book series but id hate to spam the thread

Think ill just recreate the old book thread. I read about 2-4 series at any given time so even if im the only one filling it up I can still drive that ***** with new content