The Joe Biden Presidency Thread

Mr. Hoopah!

2 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

I've said for years your average conservative in power couldn't actually give a **** about social issues. Its just the red meat they feed thier useful voters. Whats gay marriage to them really? Alot of them would like thier mistresses to retain access to discrete abortion services. They really don't care about these things and the left's gaining ground in these areas decade after decade only enhances the right's ability to appeal to cultural grievances get elected anyway so why would they want it to stop

No the real target is and has always been anything that allows them to grab up more constitutional power and unfettered wealth and they'll always find Dems willing to work with them on this because when as they say a rising tide lifts all boats but you actually have to be in a boat or you just drown. In exchange the conservatives give ground on the social issues they themselves didn't ever really care about and the Dems can flaunt the progress they just made to thier own voters (meanwhile the conservatives get to head home amd whip thier base into a frenzy) 

Rinse and repeat

Hey Dunderhead, if you turned the mirror around we could be talking about either party. Besides whomever the GOP nominates it will be a she=it show from the Dems. Now look at the last few nominees from the Dems, Kagan, Sotomayor, etc. No she-it show from the GOP, just quickly nominating them because they are qualified.  It's not the GOP that goes around saying they are going to stack the courts or change the rules to add more justices and SCOTUS to the bench to favor them.

Obama was right, elections have consequences, rules shouldn't be bent in or out of power, right Harry?

28 minutes ago, Invincible said:

It's old in the sense that it's been proven right over and over for decades. As soon as the Democrats, you know, actually do something to prove it wrong beyond empty posturing, let me know. 

Remember when people were saying Pelosi/Schumer weren’t going to have covid help for regular people and would just bail out the corporations?

It’s an old narrative in the sense that it’s false and doesn’t stand up to recent events.  

5 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Yeesh...

Members of People of Praise are assigned to personal advisers of the same sex—called a "head" for men and "handmaid" for women, until the rise in popularity of Atwood's novel and the television series based on it forced a change in the latter.

Atwood herself has previously referred to the practices of a charismatic Catholic group motivating her to write The Handmaid's Tale, set in the fictional Gilead, where women's bodies are governed and treated as the property of the state under a theocratic regime.

Sounds like the Evangelical church to me.

Just now, Invincible said:

You think that was some massive progressive piece of a legislation? Lmao. If you think that somehow undermines literally decades worth of proof in the affirmative... just... wow. 

The narrative about Pelosi/Schumer only bailing out corporations was false.  People on these boards love to float crap like that and never admit when they end up being wrong.  Also, to the “Pelosi/Schumer won’t stand up to GOP” narrative that keeps getting floated around, look at the negotiations over covid relief Round 2.  Pelosi/Schumer are pretty well standing strong against the GOP efforts at a mini-bill that only bails out corporations.  So the very fact that they didn’t cave to the GOP is yet another piece of evidence that the narrative is false.  

59 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Every time I see Boehner I think of this puff piece Politico did for him after he retired:

"Boehner smokes two packs a day and has a habit of pinching off the smoldering end of his cigarette, rolling the butt into a ball and shoving it into his pocket. (On the back nine a day later, Boehner stops at a receptacle and scoops from his pocket some two dozen smoke-stained balls.)"

"Breaking the ice, I mention some news of the day—that Trey Gowdy appears likely to become chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. The previous chairman, Jason Chaffetz, had abruptly announced his resignation from Congress; House conservatives had hoped that Jim Jordan, a senior member on the committee, might pursue the chairmanship. Boehner grins. “Gowdy—that’s my guy, even though he doesn’t know how to dress,” he says. Then Boehner leans back in his chair. “**** Jordan. **** Chaffetz. They’re both ********.”

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/10/29/john-boehner-trump-house-republican-party-retirement-profile-feature-215741

boehner-secondary10-bymarkpeterson.jpg

Just finished one of the best fantasy works I've ever read (its just the 1st in an upcoming trilogy) 9.5/10. Much tighter character focus than your ASOIAF or First Law and you'll probably finish it in 3 or 4 days cause the pacing is that good and its not terribly long. It eschews your more typical European fantasy settings for one that is sorta semi African. ******* killer revenge story or at least the 1st chapter to one and one **** of a power trip that actually feels well earned. 2nd book comes out in a month or so I think.

9780316489775_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg

Seems swampy to me...

Even as his reelection operation lost a once-dominating fundraising advantage to Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, new filings with the Federal Election Commission show that Trump’s campaign and the Republican National Committee spent another $203,000 at his hotel a few blocks from the White House and another $37,542 to rent space at his Trump Tower in Manhattan ― although the campaign is based at a high-rise in Arlington, Virginia. Total reported payments in August from the campaign and the RNC to the president’s own businesses amounted to $251,409.

Since he took office in January 2017, the political committees under Trump’s control have spent a total of $7,231,392 at Trump’s various businesses, according to a HuffPost analysis of FEC records.

Bradley Parscale, the previous campaign manager whose consulting firm had been receiving $47,797 a month from the Trump campaign for the past year, saw that figure drop to $32,797 in August. It was unclear from the FEC filings whether that was a reduction in pay only to himself or if the $15,000 was the cumulative cut for a number of individuals.

Parscale confirmed to HuffPost earlier this year that $15,000-a-month payments each to the girlfriend of the eldest Trump son and the wife of the middle son were going through his private firm, rather than through the campaign, for their work. “I can pay them however I want to pay them,” he said at the time.

The Trump campaign did not respond to queries about Parscale’s individual compensation or that of Kimberly Guilfoyle and Lara Trump.