• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• WhenFalconsWin

• Leon Troutsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Heartless *******   

Posted Images

I think going around the internet and trying to play whack a mole with wherever the right-wing fringe finds a place to congregate is a losing proposition.

I think the time would be better spent addressing the societal conditions that make these fringe groups seem appealing to growing numbers of people. Like to me Qanon is a symptom, not the disease.

I can’t remember if it was here or somewhere else, but last year I remember reading an article or study about how Q appeals to people who can’t make sense of the modern world. They’ve been fed lies about American exceptionalism and the American dream their whole life, such that when they see a society heading in a clear downward trajectory like our’s has been for the last 40 years, it doesn’t occur to them to do stuff like question our economic system and instead they reach for conspiracy theories to try to explain a country where we’re birthing generations who have a lower standard of living than their parents and the life expectancy of non college educated white males is in decline.

@The Monarch I was looking for stats on what percentage of local, state, and federal law enforcement supported Trump and I found this:

190d ago / 11:03 AM EDT

New poll finds majority of Americans disagree with Trump on meaning of 'defund the police'

WASHINGTON — As President Trump is launching new ads attacking calls to "defund the police" and stoking racial and cultural division on Twitter, a new poll shows that an overwhelming majority of Americans don't agree with the way the president is framing the police-reform movement. 

The new survey from Monmouth University found that 77 percent of American adults say that "defund the police" means to "change the way the police departments operate," not to eliminate them. That view is  shared by 73 percent of white, non-college educated Americans and two-thirds of Republicans, Trump's core voters. 

Just 18 percent of Americans say the movement wants to "get rid of police departments," a view shared by only 28 percent of Republicans and 18 percent of independents. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/blog/meet-press-blog-latest-news-analysis-data-driving-political-discussion-n988541/ncrd1233158#blogHeader

50 minutes ago, lostone said:

Coups for thee, not for me

Maduro changed the date of the elections and banned opposition parties from running, ensuring that he would “win” the vote.  A ton of international organizations (as well as the EU) have said that the elections were a sham, which is why Guaido was declared president by the National Assembly.  To call it a “coup” and to suggest that Maduro was fairly elected is intellectually dishonest, to say the least.  So ironically, supporting Maduro is supporting an authoritarian regime over the democratic opposition.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Eagles are in a worse position because they won’t fire Lurie, are also in cap ****, and Wentz/Hurtz. Also Texans is no longer as attractive due to Watson situation. But yes, we’re still not attractive either. 

I read that Wentz was looking to rework his contract to make it easier for the Eagles to trade him.

It makes sense to trade him to Indy to reunite with his old OC Frank Reich, but since they fired Pederson it seems more likely that the Eagles will keep Wentz.

4 hours ago, Domed Outter said:

All part of the theatre. To highlight how still corrupt the house is by saying years later she hasn't changed?

Curious though, if the US corporation was disbanded in 2019, does that make the 2020 election illegal/illegitimate? 

We've found a new one.

(insert popcorn eating meme here. Not even gonna bother to go get one.)

:lol: 

From Corn Pop’s own article...

The European Union has dropped its recognition of Juan Guaidó as Venezuela's interim president after he lost his position as head of its parliament.

Josep Borrell, the EU's foreign affairs chief, referred to him in his latest statement as one of the "political and civil society actors striving to bring back democracy to Venezuela", after controversial incumbent Nicolás Maduro took control of the Venezuelan National Assembly at last December's disputed elections.

But the European Commission explained that it was a decision taken collectively by EU governments.

"This is a text agreed and adopted by 27 EU member states," commission spokesman Peter Stano said. 

"So the text is capturing the position of the EU and the position of the EU is saying that we consider Juan Guaidó and the members of the last democratically elected institution, which is the outgoing National Assembly, as particularly relevant interlocutors with whom we will continue working."

^^^So the EU still considers Guaido the last democratically elected president and considers Maduro an authoritarian regime.  But since Guaido is no longer the head of parliament, which was the basis for his claim to president, they do not consider him the president now.  And Corn Pop is criticizing Durbin for wanting the US to support Guaido and the pro-democracy opposition.  :lol: 

I've decided I'm completely fine with the first three picks being quarterbacks because that means we can either take Sewell, trade down and let someone trade up for him or one of the receivers, or take one of the receivers because we've already traded Julio. The one thing we can't do is take one of the receivers while Julio's still on the roster, then salary-dump him for two midround picks or some other dumb **** like that.

I would be okay with trading Ridley if we could get a first rounder or better for him. He just finished his third year, so we've only got him for a couple more years before we have to sign him to a long-term deal or let him walk. If a playoff team wanted a serious upgrade without overburdening their cap in the short term, and they offered a first-round pick or more for Ridley, we could use that first round pick on a lineman later in the draft and replace Ridley with Chase or Smith. I wouldn't trade him just to trade him, but we're at the very beginning of a rebuild and there's no reason to hold onto him if our cap situation remains bleak and we probably wouldn't be able to re-sign him, anyway. 

If we took Sewell, I'd hope that he'd start at LT and move Matthews to LG. That could help Ryan immensely, or anyone we ultimately replaced him with.

It should also be said that if we picked 7th or later in this draft instead of 4th, we'd basically have no trade leverage whatsoever. It was good that they lost as badly as they did. Now we have a pick that's worth trading down if they do decide to go that route.

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Yeah . . . this is curious.  I follow Scarramucci on Twitter and most of his tweets are about bitcoin the last few weeks.  Pretty disappointing.  Either his resistance was in bad faith or he is taking advantage of his authentic beliefs to make more bucks.

Is Bitcoin a complete grift?  partial grift?  Legite?

2 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

Yeah . . . this is curious.  I follow Scarramucci on Twitter and most of his tweets are about bitcoin the last few weeks.  Pretty disappointing.  Either his resistance was in bad faith or he is taking advantage of his authentic beliefs to make more bucks.

Is Bitcoin a complete grift?  partial grift?  Legite?

Is it the anti-Trump version of “buy gold now”?

5 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

:lol: 

From Corn Pop’s own article...

On 12/17/2020 at 3:09 PM, Leon Troutsky said:

Not really.  He just posts a bunch of Twitter nonsense and occasionally I comment on it when somebody else falls for it.  I’ve actually had him on ignore for months.  I only see his crap when other people post it.

Nobody quoted me. You’ve been reading all my posts the whole time.

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

It’s more to the point that this administration has an absolute blood lust to punish, marginalize, and kill people that leftists would seek to protect. 

I'm confused by this thread here.  

Seems like this is a no brainer for leftists to get behind ANY moderate.  Apparently there has never been a Federal Execution under a Democratic President.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_executed_by_the_United_States_federal_government

edit:  Not since JFK

7 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

Nobody quoted me. You’ve been reading all my posts the whole time.

tenor.gif

Yeah, I clicked the “show this post” option for this particular discussion because of how completely dishonest you were being with @lostone regarding Venezuela.  

For the record, I’m going to be gone most of the day today, but I will make an exception to respond to this particular topic since it shows just how much of a bad faith liar you are.

How many times have you ran around this forum attacking the US (and particularly Democrats) for supporting dictators and authoritarian regimes in Latin America?  

And yet here you are supporting the Maduro dictatorship and pretending like the elections were somehow legitimate.  You accused Guaido of a “coup” in Venezuela when, in fact, all of the international pro-democracy groups ruled that election a sham and concluded that Maduro is an authoritarian regime.  

Here is the Freedom House report, for example:

https://freedomhouse.org/country/venezuela/freedom-world/2020

Which is hilarious considering that the article YOU posted to support this bull**** idea about Guaido actually stated that the EU recognizes Guaido as the “last democratically elected institution” in Venezuela.  So the article that YOU posted says that you’re full of ****.

And why are you supporting the dictatorship in Venezuela?  So you can attack a “centrist” Democrat (Durbin) for supporting the pro-democracy opposition.  

So again, you run around wagging your finger at the US for supporting dictatorships in Latin America and then express support for a dictatorship in Latin America so you can criticize a Democrat (Durbin) for supporting the pro-democracy parties in Venezuela.  

Just a complete bad faith liar.

1 hour ago, Corn Pop said:

Glenn’s misstatement overshadowed his underlying point about Silicon Valley hypocrisy and power and how it’s easy to go after Parler when Facebook is the bigger problem.

I think Facebook is a monopoly that should be broken up but we have a president-elect who is appointing Facebook lawyers to his cabinet so I don’t have a lot of optimism.

The only thing overshadowing Glenn is his ego.

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Yeah, I clicked the “show this post” option for this particular discussion because of how completely dishonest you were being with @lostone regarding Venezuela.  

For the record, I’m going to be gone most of the day today, but I will make an exception to respond to this particular topic since it shows just how much of a bad faith liar you are.

How many times have you ran around this forum attacking the US (and particular Democrats) for supporting dictators and authoritarian regimes in Latin America?  

And yet here you are supporting the Maduro dictatorship and pretending like the elections were somehow legitimate.  You accused Guaido of a “coup” in Venezuela when, in fact, all of the international pro-democracy groups ruled that election a sham and concluded that Maduro is an authoritarian regime.  

Here is the Freedom House report, for example:

https://freedomhouse.org/country/venezuela/freedom-world/2020

Which is hilarious considering that the article YOU posted to support this bull**** idea actually stated that the EU recognizes Guaido as the “last democratically elected institution” in Venezuela.  So the article that YOU posted says that you’re full of ****.

And why are you supporting the dictatorship in Venezuela?  So you can attack a “centrist” Democrat (Durbin) for supporting the pro-democracy opposition.  

So again, you run around wagging your finger at the US for supporting dictatorships in Latin America and then express support for a dictatorship in Latin America so you can criticize a Democrat (Durbin) for supporting the pro-democracy parties in Venezuela.  

Just a complete bad faith liar.

PG explained the situation in Venezuela multiple times on this board, but he was overly patient with you and we see what good it did.

53 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

I think going around the internet and trying to play whack a mole with wherever the right-wing fringe finds a place to congregate is a losing proposition.

I think the time would be better spent addressing the societal conditions that make these fringe groups seem appealing to growing numbers of people. Like to me Qanon is a symptom, not the disease.

I can’t remember if it was here or somewhere else, but last year I remember reading an article or study about how Q appeals to people who can’t make sense of the modern world. They’ve been fed lies about American exceptionalism and the American dream their whole life, such that when they see a society heading in a clear downward trajectory like our’s has been for the last 40 years, it doesn’t occur to them to do stuff like question our economic system and instead they reach for conspiracy theories to try to explain a country where we’re birthing generations who have a lower standard of living than their parents and the life expectancy of non college educated white males is in decline.

Nearly all of the journalists I follow on Twitter who cover right wing fringe/Qanon preach compassion for those that have fallen down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole as this is our new norm and reality of dealing with these folks, which are family members and friends. 

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The James Caan Appreciation Thread