The ABF Classic Film Series Presents: The Big Chill (1983) Thread

1 minute ago, lostone said:

Are you being purposely obtuse?

A hard working grueling job.  I can easily empathize with that.  I can appreciate and want technology to be created to make it easier.

when I say be black in America, you just quote a bible verse to ignore my pain.  Don’t you see the irony there...

I am very much a literal thinker.  Tell me about your pain! 

• Replies 42.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• WhenFalconsWin

• lostone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, lostone said:

Are you being purposely obtuse?

A hard working grueling job.  I can easily empathize with that.  I can appreciate and want technology to be created to make it easier.

when I say be black in America, you just quote a bible verse to ignore my pain.  Don’t you see the irony there...

Yes, he is, that's why he posted about the Apostle Paul last night, too. It's the game he wants to play.

If he was arguing from a place of sincerity, it would have been important to establish that before taking the position he did, because he wouldn't want El ost On E to react principally to the notion that he be "content" with things as they are. He wasn't trying to make a good argument; he was trolling.

4 minutes ago, Serge said:

If he was arguing from a place of sincerity, it would have been important to establish that before taking the position he did, because he wouldn't want El ost On E to react principally to the notion that he be "content." He wasn't trying to make a good argument; he was trolling.

Is that kind of like Dap So Hive?   

30 minutes ago, The Great American said:

You don't know th eintent of my heart.  I posted the Apostle Paul last night because he gives sage advice.  

But how exactly does the sage advice relate to this situation?

Let's look at another, maybe more salient example, one white guy to another. You're driving down a road and see a man on the side of the road who has been hit by a car. He's asking for help, asking if you could take him to the doctor, because he thinks he's bleeding internally. Now imagine that while this is happening, you're remembering a time you hurt yourself badly, say, a time you fell at a construction site and had reebar driven through your leg. Instead of helping the man who's currently in horrible pain, you start to regale him with that time you fell and had reebar driven through your leg. It was horribly painful, you say, but with determination, you were able to make it through - leaving out the part where you received prompt medical attention. Satisfied with the idea that you've given that man hope, perhaps even that he might one day be healed, you drive away.

You haven't recognized the actual issue or provided help in this scenario. You related his pain to your own, but you didn't actually empathize, because if you had, you might realize that he needs help right now, and that having experienced similar pain doesn't necessarily justify ignoring that pain.

Now imagine it's something like sickle cell anemia, something that disproportionately targets black people. Say that cars in this scenario disproportionately target black people, and your experience with the reebar is actually something equally likely to happen to all races who do construction work. Because of this, the example in your head (while also horrifically painful) is both irrelevant to the current situation and a bad comparison in the first place. And being content or fighting through it doesn't change the fact that these cars disproportionately target black people.

To wrap things up - even if you don't believe black people are disproportionately targeted, if it was true, do you see why what you said might be interpreted as insensitive?

32 minutes ago, The Great American said:

You don't know th eintent of my heart.  I posted the Apostle Paul last night because he gives sage advice.  

I put sage in my homemade sausage gravy, along with a pinch of garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes and diced onions. That she-it is dayum good.   

6 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

But how exactly does the sage advice relate to this situation?

It's not hard to understand. Follow closely.  A guy is practically begging someone to swap places with him.  He's getting impatient waiting for a response.  He hears crickets chirping in the background.  It's obvious he's not content with his lot in life and he's in a great deal of pain.  So as an encouragement to said poster, I quoted the Apostle Paul who was by far mistreated more than most humans who have walked this planet.  Paul provides an amazing example for any who may be struggling.  He says, "I have learned to be content in my circumstances."   Paul wasn't sitting around feeling sorry for himself.  He trusted and had a strong faith.  

Again, this has nothing to do with racism but many posters are bent on making it so.   

1 minute ago, The Great American said:

It's not hard to understand. Follow closely.  A guy is practically begging someone to swap places with him.  He's getting impatient waiting for a response.  He hears crickets chirping in the background.  It's obvious he's not content with his lot in life and he's in a great deal of pain.  So as an encouragement to said poster, I quoted the Apostle Paul who was by far mistreated more than most humans who have walked this planet.  Paul provides an amazing example for any who may be struggling.  He says, "I have learned to be content in my circumstances."   Paul wasn't sitting around feeling sorry for himself.  He trusted and had a strong faith.  

Again, this has nothing to do with racism but many posters are bent on making it so.   

Agendas and narratives man...you know how ABF rolls, son.

Seriously, if he was actually trying to get Lostone to internalize the Christian concept of contentment, he would have known not to start with the notion that Lostone should be content with his elevated likelihood of getting shot by the police, because it comes off as patronizing and dismissive to someone he hasn't already connected with as a Christian. He absolutely understands this is stroking in the exact wrong direction to encourage anyone to become "content" in the Christian sense. It's bare-assed trolling and y'all shouldn't let him get to you.

1 minute ago, The Great American said:

You completely ignored the example, even to the point of not quoting it. Encouragement doesn't do anything in this scenario. Maybe everyone is right in saying that you were going out of your way to ignore what @lostone was actually saying.

If you don't want what you say to be interpreted as having a racist bend, maybe you shouldn't respond with someone asking you if you'd switch places with slave-era rhetoric.

8 minutes ago, The Great American said:

:doh:

2 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

You completely ignored the example, even to the point of not quoting it. Encouragement doesn't do anything in this scenario. Maybe everyone is right in saying that you were going out of your way to ignore what @lostone was actually saying.

If you don't want what you say to be interpreted as having a racist bend, maybe you shouldn't respond with someone asking you if you'd switch places with slave-era rhetoric.

Totally not true!!  Go back and read my posts.  I told him to teach me because I do have so much to learn.  I asked him to share his pain.  I didn't receive any responses.   

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series Presents: The Big Chill (1983) Thread