The ABF Classic Film Series Presents: The Big Chill (1983) Thread

3 hours ago, Jpizzle said:

Sure we can agree that the destruction of private property is wrong and will take away from the messaging.

Can we all agree that rhetoric like "When the looting starts the shooting starts" coming from the President is wrong and will only further inflame the situation? Can we all agree that A President shouldn't be so cavalier about throwing rhetoric around that involves the killing of American citizens? Also do you think the phrase he used is just a coincidence? All honest questions.

I don't think it was a coincidence.  This is what he does.  He is careless with his words.  Words matter.  Given the position he has, its very dangerous to be as tactless as he is.  This is why I did not vote for him and would never vote for him.  I can't support the way he handles himself.  Its well beyond what I would call "unprofessional".

It amazes me how in 2008 the Republican playbook was to call Obama "inexperienced", a "celebrity" and an "elitist".  Yet, in 2016, the Republicans turned right around and nominated and elected "EVERYTHING" they claimed to hate in 2008.  That's HYPOCRISEY!

If, by some chances one believes 45 didn't know where that phrase came from, it goes to show just how careless he truly is.  So someone body "gave" him something to say that he thought sounded good?  What happened to he would "hire the best people?"  Complete dumpster fire this administration. 

• Replies 42.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• WhenFalconsWin

• lostone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, isproab said:

I don't think it was a coincidence.  This is what he does.  He is careless with his words.  Words matter.  Given the position he has, its very dangerous to be as tactless as he is.  This is why I did not vote for him and would never vote for him.  I can't support the way he handles himself.  Its well beyond what I would call "unprofessional".

It amazes me how in 2008 the Republican playbook was to call Obama "inexperienced", a "celebrity" and an "elitist".  Yet, in 2016, the Republicans turned right around and nominated and elected "EVERYTHING" they claimed to hate in 2008.  That's HYPOCRISEY!

If, by some chances one believes 45 didn't know where that phrase came from, it goes to show just how careless he truly is.  So someone body "gave" him something to say that he thought sounded good?  What happened to he would "hire the best people?"  Complete dumpster fire this administration. 

Everything that the Republicans claimed that Obama was (wanna be dictator, acting like a king, most divisive president in history etc.)

Trump has been that and in double spades.

8 minutes ago, isproab said:

Obviously I have no way of knowing but I'd bet anything it was fed to him by Stephen Miller.

In depositions in car wreck cases, I often have to ask people how much time, usually in seconds, passed between events - typically between the plaintiff seeing the defendant's vehicle and impact.  It's tough to gauge for most people, and it's often a useful tool to get out my phone and start the timer to show them exactly how long, say 30 seconds, takes to elapse.

Two minutes. And thirty-eight seconds.  That he continued to press down his full body weight after Floyd was unresponsive. 

2 hours ago, Jpizzle said:

Obviously I have no way of knowing but I'd bet anything it was fed to him by Stephen Miller.

^btw THIS is how actual lockerroom talk would work. In this case a racist joke (or rather more specifically a cute turn of phrase with pretty bad historical connotations) told in confidence that wormed it's way into captain dumbdumb's head who then attempted to make it official policy.

Not the made up bullchit where you tell Billy Bush you regularly assault women and have to invent a new popular phrase so your cult can pretend to accept it. 

3 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I have a question, not trying to stir anything up, but my family and I were having a conversation last night as we were watching the coverage of what was going on in Minneapolis.

I asked my son and husband, who are not huge, but not small guys, husband is 6'1" 190 and son is 6' about 175, if they were on the street and saw what those cops were doing to George Floyd would they do anything. For record they are white guys.

They thought about it for a minute and both said, I wish I could say I would, but even though I know what those cops are doing is wrong, if I tried to do anything I think they would try to kill me, hurt or at the very least arrest me. We talked about it because both my son and husband would give you the shirt off their backs, but when they honestly thought it about this question, they know they couldn't do anything.

I can only imagine that maybe that is how a black man might feel when being pulled over by a white policeman. Am I off base on this, or is there any correlation here?

I don't think you are off base.  I think most rational people think this way.  I like to think that I'm never out of control and a very rational/logical person.  I know that putting my hands on the officer would be a crime.  There is no doubt about that.

I honestly think that if this continues, there will be an incident where there are enough people that have had enough and they will take matters into their own hands.  I don't ever recall a moment like that in my 45 years, but I think we are headed down that road with the way this is going.  So, for the safety of everyone involved, the system needs to start holding people accountable.  Doesn't matter if they wear the uniform of law enforcement.  If they do wrong, they need to do time and not be allowed to wear a badge again.

2 hours ago, eatcorn said:

One thing you can do is refuse to vote for Donald Trump, who has stoked racist sentiment in this country more than anyone in the last 50 years.

I don't know about that.  Reagan was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse in rhetoric and actions!  Welfare moms, black bucks, war on "drugs," caught red handed dumping dope in black neighborhoods, South Africa, David Duke and Jonas Savimbi for starters............................

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series Presents: The Big Chill (1983) Thread