The ABF Classic Film Series Presents: The Big Chill (1983) Thread

9 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

Also I want the record to show that I was completely sincere when I said that I personally would have an ethical dilemma about voting for a candidate who has demonstrated that he no longer has the mental capacity to carry out the duties of the job. I’m obviously not the biggest norms respecter here but that seems like a relatively basic one that I’d have a problem with. Kamala and the cabinet running the country is not how things are supposed to work. It seems like we’ll be setting a troubling precedent with this upcoming administration.

It's my biggest ****ing hangup about voting Biden, and why I mantain that while i may be doing so voting for Biden is probably unethical. 

I've given Republicans sh*t for years for letting a potato Reagen destroy the lower class but this isn't really much better

Just thinking about how we even have to indulge this vanity project still pisses me off 

Any other election in my lifetime i probably wouldn't be voting Dem this year maybe even including 2016 when Trump was a more hypothetical than tangibly corrupt.

• Replies 42.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• AF89

• WhenFalconsWin

• lostone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like rescuing dogs during lockdown is a thing around here. It happened to us this past week. This guy wandered up dirty and skinny, playing with my daughter in the front yard. After a few days o

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

Also I want the record to show that I was completely sincere when I said that I personally would have an ethical dilemma about voting for a candidate who has demonstrated that he no longer has the mental capacity to carry out the duties of the job. I’m obviously not the biggest norms respecter here but that seems like a relatively basic one that I’d have a problem with. Kamala and the cabinet running the country is not how things are supposed to work. It seems like we’ll be setting a troubling precedent with this upcoming administration.

You have to remember the current president doesn't have the mental facilities for the office either.  While I don't think he's as far along Biden in terms of possible deterioration he simply lacks a large set of the mental skills required to hold office effectively (and not just basic literacy). Biden passing responsibilities to his cabinet could be troublesome, but if it leads to people knowledgeable in their fields affecting decisions it is probably an improvement.

11 minutes ago, AF89 said:

It's my biggest ****ing hangup about voting Biden, and why I mantain that while i may be doing so voting for Biden is probably unethical. 

I've given Republicans sh*t for years for letting a potato Reagen destroy the lower class but this isn't really much better

Just thinking about how we even have to indulge this vanity project still pisses me off 

Any other election in my lifetime of wouldn't be voting Dem this year maybe even including 2016 when Trump was a more hypothetical than tangibly corrupt.

Reagan at the end of his second term was more coherent and cognizant than the Biden you’re getting now. 

Would any of you who’ve served as a hiring manager bring on Joe Biden in his current state in any capacity at your places of work? What sort of work do you think he’d be suited for?

If my dad started acting like Joe Biden the rest of the family would call an emergency meeting to talk about taking his keys away, getting power of attorney, and such.

Edited by Corn Pop
1 minute ago, opensource001 said:

You have to remember the current president doesn't have the mental facilities for the office either.  While I don't think he's as far along Biden in terms of possible deterioration he simply lacks a large set of the mental skills required to hold office effectively (and not just basic literacy). Biden passing responsibilities to his cabinet could be troublesome, but if it leads to people knowledgeable in their fields affecting decisions it is probably an improvement.

The opposition also has dementia is never a great argument, and a country run by a cadre of neoliberal technocrats leads into our Weimarizing. 

6 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

Reagan at the end of his second term was more coherent and cognizant than the Biden you’re getting now. 

Would any of you who’ve served as a hiring manager bring on Joe Biden in his current state in any capacity at your places of work? What sort of work do you think he’d be suited for?

If my dad starting acting like Joe Biden the rest of the family would call an emergency meeting to talk about taking his keys away, getting power of attorney, and such.

If Biden were my granddad and wanted to watch my (hypothetical) kids for the week I'd only even do so under a strict list of instructions and probably frequent phone calls with the kids to check in make sure they weren't asked to drive pepop to the Ole time buffet

But he could probably handle some fragile geopolitical politics, it's probably fine :ninja:

9 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

If my dad started acting like Joe Biden the rest of the family would call an emergency meeting to talk about taking his keys away, getting power of attorney, and such.

Sorry but this is BS.

8 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

The opposition also has dementia is never a great argument, and a country run by a cadre of neoliberal technocrats leads into our Weimarizing. 

Oh, I agree 100%.  I didn't mean to imply it was good, just hopefully it's enough to keep the d@mn from breaking before we can evacuate the village down stream.

Edited by opensource001
3 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Any other election in my lifetime i probably wouldn't be voting Dem this year maybe even including 2016 when Trump was a more hypothetical than tangibly corrupt.

I meant it when I said at some point on here that I won't ever forgive the Democratic party for making me vote for Biden. One area where me and Trout disagree is, he thinks liberals will largely remain realistic about what got Biden elected if he wins, whereas I look at the Democratic party right now and I see people desperate to believe that things can go back to the way they were with Obama, specifically the part where liberals have a very easy relationship with the President and with the media, because it's implicitly understood that they're acting in all of our best interests. 

33 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

The powers that the executive branch has amassed in the last 30 years isn't how the country was supposed to work either. The presidency was never meant to have this much power. 

7 minutes ago, AF89 said:

If Biden were my granddad and wanted to watch my (hypothetical) kids for the week I'd only even do so under a strict list of instructions and probably frequent phone calls with the kids to check in make sure they weren't asked to drive pepop to the Ole time buffet

But he could probably handle some fragile geopolitical politics, it's probably fine :ninja:

I really think it’s important to acknowledge how dark and perverse it is to make this man president. 

My mother is an apolitical person. I think she’s voted in two elections her entire life and then only did so because she knew some local candidate. I don’t talk politics with her. She doesn’t talk politics with anybody. One day last year we were watching Joe on tv and she asked me why his family doesn’t do something and said it’s troubling to see him out there like that.

She’s an RN who spent part of her career in long term care administration. She’s dealt with dementia and Alzheimer’s both professionally and in her own family.

Back in the 90s she also used to give seminars on infectious disease control, so she knew stuff like wearing masks was a good idea from the very beginning, and sending Covid patients into nursing homes was about the most terrible idea imaginable.

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

She’s in a Republican +27 district. She’s going to Washington in January. 

Democrats needs to make her a one woman Squad. Bring her up every chance they get, insinuate she holds power she doesn’t and controls the party. 

But Democrats are ******* stupid. 

Her district includes Paulding County...y’know, where the pics of students packed into halls got the two who posted the pics suspended.  Of course she’s going to win.

12 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

The powers that the executive branch has amassed in the last 30 years isn't how the country was supposed to work either. The presidency was never meant to have this much power. 

I don’t know when we’ll ever reach a point where either party shows any inclination to rein in the presidency. 

And we’re currently in a place where Pelosi regularly tells us what a monster Trump is, all the while readily giving him more funding and more power.

15 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Hillary sh*t her depends on 9/11 *salutes* and she was probably several more times qualified than Biden

Hillary might have coughing fits and the inability to navigate stairs without assistance but at least she wasn’t bird brained.

Edited by Corn Pop

@Jdrizzle there was an accelerationist argument for voting Trump over Hillary put forth by Zizek and now we’ve got the one I relayed from a Twitter thread. I adopted neither. I could see where these arguments might have some merit, but there are too many unknowns, too many moving pieces, for me to abandon my personal principles and engage in strategic voting to that degree. 

I am curious to hear what some of you think might be some alternative road maps to a left-wing populist presidency. Especially given how we saw the corporate media treat Bernie, and how certain candidates strategically dropped out to help Biden while one particular candidate stayed in the race to hurt Bernie.

Edited by Corn Pop
8 hours ago, AF89 said:

And by the by for all the hand wringing of Kamala sometimes feels like an excuse when Biden kinda already had the far more offensive resume.  Your talking about Big Ben being the straw too far when Bill Cosby was already on the roster.

There's a big difference between an old white man passing legislation that targets minorities and an olive branch to black folk doing the same.  I can't describe it as anything other than pissing on me and telling me its raining.  Kamala was the top prosecutor for one of the most left leaning states and punted what I would call layups to help the people she claims to represent.  

1 minute ago, MoeBiden said:

There's a big difference between an old white man passing legislation that targets minorities and an olive branch to black folk doing the same.  I can't describe it as anything other than pissing on me and telling me its raining.  Kamala was the top prosecutor for one of the most left leaning states and punted what I would call layups to help the people she claims to represent.  

Kamala fought to keep nonviolent offenders locked up, saying the state needed their labor. 

Remember a few years ago when people here were encouraging one another to watch that documentary about the 13th Amendment?

4 minutes ago, MoeBiden said:

Most (not all mind you) of the more ****ing complaints about Kamala are from her actions as a prosecutor not in a legislative capacity. Biden has probably done uncountable more widespread damage to the black community over a much wider period and scale and it's probably not even close.

With Kamala it's probably more personal as she ****ed folks on a case by case basis I'll give you that

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series Presents: The Big Chill (1983) Thread