Fowler’s bond with Falcons coach Dan Quinn is strong

FALCONS 
4 hours ago
By 

The bond that Falcons defensive end Dante Fowler developed with Dan Quinn in 2011 has remained strong over the years.

Quinn, now the Falcons coach but then the defensive coordinator at Florida, recruited Fowler, met his family and helped sign him for the Gators.

When it was time for a reunion, Fowler couldn’t wait to sign a three-year, $48 million deal with the Falcons. 

“He definitely played a huge factor in it,” Fowler said. “Just the city of Atlanta. I heard a lot of good things about the front office and stuff like that.”

After Urban Meyer left Florida, Will Muschamp took over as coach and Quinn was on his staff. 

“We just built a relationship at that time,” Fowler said. “He used to always come and see me, talk to me. Everything was genuine. He talked to me about a lot of things as a man. Just over that one-year span of me being there with with him at UF, I went to his house. I met his wife. I had Thanksgiving with them.”

Quinn remembers the dinner fondly. 

“Sharrif Floyd, Dominique Easley, Ronald Powell, Dante Fowler and John Bullard came over for Thursday Thanksgiving dinner,” Quinn said. “What was fun about that week is that it’s the Florida State-Florida weekend. It’s a cool environment. Thanksgiving and football have always been kind of hand-in-hand in my life.”

Quinn enjoyed Fowler and his defensive mates.

“That year there were definitely some good defensive linemen that are still playing in the NFL, a bunch of them,” Quinn said. “There are a lot of good memories around that dinner for sure.”

When Quinn left to become Seattle’s defensive coordinator after one season at Florida, Fowler was distraught. 

“I almost wanted to transfer because he left,” Fowler said. “He definitely played a huge part.”

Fowler was hoping the Falcons, who had the eighth overall pick, would draft him in 2015. He went third to Jacksonville, and the Falcons selected Vic Beasley with their pick. 

“I definitely wanted to go either to the Falcons or the Jaguars,” said Fowler, who’s from St. Petersburg, Fla. “It just played out in a good way now. It’s really cool.”

Fowler and Quinn stayed in contact during his time in the NFL. The Falcons regularly play the Jaguars during the exhibition season. 

“I would always get to chat with him and talk to him,” Fowler said. “It is just really cool for him to be my coach again.”

Quinn makes it a point to stay in contact with his former players.

“More often than not, the guys from college need your help more off the field than on the field,” Quinn said. “Through the years, it’s been great to stay connected to players that I coached at Florida. That relationship and that bond really grows strong.”

Quinn has been able to try to help Fowler, who had a bumpy start to his career in Jacksonville and was traded to the Rams in his third season in the league. 

“You’re trying to help a young guy in his football life where it is just beginning in the college years,” Quinn said. “You get to see that relationship continue to progress when they get into the NFL. I’ve certainly kept up with him and others throughout the years.” 

Fowler had a highly publicized incident with two women where he appeared to be officiating a fight, and he had a brush with the law involving a dispute with a 55-year-old man.

“I just feel that a lot of my issues were super misunderstood, like the situation with the women,” Fowler said. “That will eventually will get out, the real reason why. … I just refused to keep having my name slandered like that. So, I’m definitely coming out about that. I don’t like that.”

Fowler admitted that he handled the situation with the man poorly. 

“I apologized for that,” Fowler said. “I take full responsibility for that. At the end of the day. I was trying, I thought I was defending my child because at that time, he was by my child’s door, and that’s how it happened.”

Fowler pointed out that he hasn’t gotten into any trouble since he’s been in the NFL. 

“My dad taught me, whatever you do, don’t disrespect the family’s name,” Fowler said. “I take huge pride in that. That’s always been me, I’m a respectful guy.”

The Falcons signed Fowler to help with their anemic pass rush. He recorded 11.5 sacks with the Los Angeles Rams last season and has 27.5 sacks over 63 career games.

Fowler, 25, is a replacement for Beasley, who signed with Tennessee in free agency. 

The Falcons finished with 28 sacks last season, which ranked tied for 31st (of 32 teams) in the league. Only Miami (23) had fewer sacks. Pittsburgh led the league with 54.

Fowler, who’s 6-foot-3 and 255 pounds, will be with his third NFL team.

Fowler missed his first season after suffering a season-ending injury shortly after the draft. He has improved since the bumpy start to his career in Jacksonville, which included getting suspended after fighting a teammate.

He played in the AFC Championship game after the 2017 season with the Jaguars. He helped the Rams reach Super Bowl 53 after the 2018 season. 

In a 37-10 win over the Falcons in October, he terrorized the Falcons’ offensive tackles. Fowler finished with seven tackles, three sacks, three tackles for losses and four quarterback hits. 

“Rushing the passer is a privilege,” said Fowler, who wants to be a double-digit sacker and chase Michael Strahan’s NFL single-season sack mark of 22.5 sacks. “In order to do that, you’ve got to be able to stop the run on first and second down.”

The Falcons tried to drop Beasley into coverage and make him a hybrid defensive end/linebacker because he was a liability to the run defense at 244 pounds.

“I am a whole player,” Fowler said. “I like to play the run as well. I like to get tackles, and I also like to sack the quarterback when the opportunity is there.”

Fowler contends that he’s no one-year wonder. 

“I blew my knee out my first year, so when I came back I was just super excited,” Fowler said. “Everybody knows that I’m a street fighter, as you would say. I’m super aggressive. I just had to learn how to play in the NFL. Just had to be a little bit more disciplined on that part.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/fowler-bond-with-falcons-coach-dan-quinn-strong/JANjb28JBFRFhZbeqwIJaI/

28 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I like Quinn as our HC.  I think he gets some redemption in 2020.

But I’ve always thought he could build an amazing college program.  Kids love him and he would be an incredible recruiter.  Message can’t really grow stale since you get all new players every 4 years

This. I'd like him more at UGA than the Falcons.

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

This. I'd like him more at UGA than the Falcons.

I think Quinn is a great turn around coach. But I have to imagine the rah rahs and lingo grow tired after about a year. Eventually you gotta be able to coach. Players see right thru it. If what you are coaching aint working then players start to tune you out. Way we ball, fast and physical, blah blah blah. Sounds like a frat house of 19 year olds. Like Blank said, this is the year to determine if we have a head coach or a Tony Robbins and there is a reason Tony Robbins don't coach football. Maybe he would work better in NCAA where players only have to here the rah rah rhetoric for four years and then a new batch can come in. 

Edited by Refried Beans

I think Dan Quinn is a great guy. As a HC, not so much. He was a good college coach, and he worked well as Seattle's DC, but beyond building The Brotherhood mantra and coming up with some catchy slogans, he's never found his way as Head Coach.

With five years as a HC now under his belt, hopefully he'll start to learn how to do the job in a way that allows his team to play with more consistency than he's been able to so far. The Falcons have had a pretty good FA period. If they are able to get some more impact players with their top 3 or 4 draft picks, this team will have plenty enough talent to get to the play-offs and win at least one play-off game.

If they don't, it will mean Quinn still was unable to translate the enthusiasm and unity of The Brotherhood into wins on the football field, which is the central point of being a HC. Another mediocre showing this season and Fowler is going to have to go through yet another sad parting from Dan Quinn. Going to be a very interesting first five or six games whenever the season does start.

He has something about him that makes guys want to play for him.Last year was a good example of it.Morris and co mentioned it in there pressers McKay to.Mentioning him being a leader of men.Thee last part of that season showed it if they had no faith in DQ certainly the TANK crowd get what they want.A higher draft position.

But for some unknown reason the team hunkered down and played for there HC.I have been scathing of this man and his vision for this team for 2 years now.I could maybe right and see it how I’ve called it.The flip side is we could see redemption here.Quinn may have learned a few hard lessons about being a HC.I hope the latter is true.

8 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

I think Quinn is a great turn around coach. But I have to imagine the rah rahs and lingo grow tired after about a year. Eventually you gotta be able to coach. Players see right thru it. If what you are coaching aint working then players start to tune you out. Way we ball, fast and physical, blah blah blah. Sounds like a frat house of 19 year olds. Like Blank said, this is the year to determine if we have a head coach or a Tony Robbins and there is a reason Tony Robbins don't coach football. Maybe he would work better in NCAA where players only have to here the rah rah rhetoric for four years and then a new batch can come in. 

They grow stale for all coaches. Big reason why Belichick churns his roster as much as he does. 

This year will tell the story for Quinn. The part I don’t understand is why so many people are down on him after taking a young team especially defensively to the SB in his second year. The dude has to be a pretty good coach to do that. Injuries and lack of a pass rush has been his downfall. Regardless he better produce this yr or he may have the opportunity to be a college HC. I also think the brotherhood is a good thing and winning cures a lot of ills and losing finds a fault with almost everything. I think he gets it done this year.

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

He’s going to end up being worth every penny we paid him.

Swapping him for  Beasley is pure gold for our defense.

Man I hope you’re right but I’m not convinced that fowler is worth the money we paid him. Hopefully he’s peaking at the right time. I agree he’s going to be better than Bs but getting double digits sacks is why we paid him. We shall see

I want to like Quinn.  He was at the top of my list when we were looking to replace Smitty.  I was convinced that he was the next great defensive mind.  

From botching the Super Bowl to outright failing his defense last season, Quinn has been a major disappointment.  Beyond his rah-rah garbage, there is little evidence that he is a brilliant person.  His teams have been slow starters every season and the defense showcases missed tackles.

I certainly hope that Dan Quinn has learned on the job.  It has come at quite a cost to this team and the careers of Julio and Matt.  For the sake of this franchise, I hope Dan Quinn can properly prepare this team for the upcoming season.......but I just can't muster the confidence that he will.  

6 hours ago, gazoo said:

He’s going to end up being worth every penny we paid him.

Swapping him for  Beasley is pure gold for our defense.

I totally agree. He’s a different animal. Bigger and stronger especially in his lower  body. OTs engage him but aren’t able to just reroute him easily. He presses the curve to the QB. Good arm length. Tenacious. He also knows how to convert speed to power. Something Vic just couldn’t do. He’s got more than just the speed rush but his speed rush is more effective because of his hand usage and leverage. 

Im obviously biased but I think the difference in the play style, violent hands and multiple efforts is night and day. 

53 minutes ago, Stryka said:

I totally agree. He’s a different animal. Bigger and stronger especially in his lower  body. OTs engage him but aren’t able to just reroute him easily. He presses the curve to the QB. Good arm length. Tenacious. He also knows how to convert speed to power. Something Vic just couldn’t do. He’s got more than just the speed rush but his speed rush is more effective because of his hand usage and leverage. 

Im obviously biased but I think the difference in the play style, violent hands and multiple efforts is night and day. 

Bottom line is Fowler is a more complete player, more productive and way more consistent. I was tired of Beasley disappearing for long periods of time. Beasley got 6.5 of his 8.5 2019 sacks in his last 8 games and just 11.5 in his preceding 38 games. 

Here are their 2019 stats

Fowler- 16 games, 880 Snaps, 11.5 sacks, 16 TFL, 16 QB Hits, 58 tackles (40 solo)

Beasley- 16 games, 757 Snaps, 8.5 sacks,  8 TFL, 12 QB Hits, 42 tackles (29 solo)

Fowlers got more game in his pass rush, but his extra 10 lbs better strength does help him be much more effective against the run as well. 

Another thing is both Fowler and Beasley had a 1 year chance to “show me what you got”, with Fowler feeling good enough about his ability he was willing to sign just a 1 year contract last year.

Beasley did what he always did....inconsistent and just flashed, where Fowler outplayed him all season.

17 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

This year will tell the story for Quinn. The part I don’t understand is why so many people are down on him after taking a young team especially defensively to the SB in his second year. The dude has to be a pretty good coach to do that. Injuries and lack of a pass rush has been his downfall. Regardless he better produce this yr or he may have the opportunity to be a college HC. I also think the brotherhood is a good thing and winning cures a lot of ills and losing finds a fault with almost everything. I think he gets it done this year.

My biggest bugger with him is the empty slogans and the off field decision making during the season and off season coaching hires.I agree with you he came out of the gates with a plan and it should have come to the fore but for the above mentioned.

I hope the same he gets the right balance and is able to gain consistency in all 3 phases.

17 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Man I hope you’re right but I’m not convinced that fowler is worth the money we paid him. Hopefully he’s peaking at the right time. I agree he’s going to be better than Bs but getting double digits sacks is why we paid him. We shall see

It’s heavily incentive based and is an easy out after year 2.

For me it’s a good contract for the team and he brings physicality Beasley never had that’s a big one for us.We need to be more physical upfront.